X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas jump

it jump .12 cents from yesterday. i have watched it slowly rise over the last month. talked to a guy that used to own a gas station. said we will see $4.00 again this summer again. in cal. you might see $5.00.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Re: gas jump

I've noiticed the jump as well, keep hearing we will pay $7.00 before long.
    I don't see how such increases will help our economy, folks who can drive less will, but others who need to use their cars and trucks will have less money to spend on other things that might benefit the economy.

There are those who say such increases are good because they force us to conserve, but in my opinion we should be driving more, earning more and spending within our borders to grow America. We just keep shrinking, our world has become smaller due to the poor economy. As my food , telephone, cable, heating fuel, utilities and other bills have slowly increased, I have been forced to stay closer to home and cut back on many things.

Americans wil still travel and vacation, but more will be forced to cut back on their plans. Vacation spots and the entire industry that depends on travelers will suffer.

How much longer and how far will we "cut back"? A new stimulus spending plan probably won't help, so what would?

Comment

Around here they are saying that gas prices will probably be in the $3.00 range this summer. I sure hope we don't see a return to the $4.00 range. It's curious how gas prices seem to be the only product that isn't governed by the laws of supply and demand.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave, they say it is supply and demand. the problem is we are so dependent on others for oil. that all they have to do is slow prodution, shut down some drillers, stop shipments, and then they say we are consuming more or less depending on how much they want to control us. that's all it is control. in a nut shell. if it was really supply and demand it would be a fact that wells are drying up and everyone worldwide would be paying $10 to $20 or more per gal. it would be world wide chaos. and we would degress 75 years or more.
        the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Jerad, if only that were the case. Oil stockpile supplies are way up and worldwide demand is down. Given that, gasoline prices should be falling not rising. There is plenty of crude oil out there available to be refined into gasoline. The slow down in production you mentioned is not coming from the other side of the pond but from the American owned refineries here in the good ole USA.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            It's curious how gas prices seem to be the only product that isn't governed by the laws of supply and demand.
            it's plain f$#^ing greed.

nothing more and nothing less

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
              it's plain f$#^ing greed.

nothing more and nothing less

steve
              Greed sums it up honestly, unlike capitalism, free markets, free trade, and the latest excuse, the global economy.

We don't have to worry, once the healthcare plan most of us don't want gets passed, we will be getting all that alternative energy promised!

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                Jerad, if only that were the case. Oil stockpile supplies are way up and worldwide demand is down. Given that, gasoline prices should be falling not rising. There is plenty of crude oil out there available to be refined into gasoline. The slow down in production you mentioned is not coming from the other side of the pond but from the American owned refineries here in the good ole USA.
                The control or choke point is the refineries. Here on the East Coast in the Philadelphia area three big refineries have shut down this Fall/Winter and are NOT scheduled to return to production this year or ever. This will hurt the local economy in a couple ways. Mo full time oil company jobs to run and maintain the plants, no shut down work so no contractor s needed for turn around work, and all the spin off business from everyone traveling to/from those jobs who used to buy coffee and lunches and gas for their vehicles is lost too. On top of that sales tax income will drop for the State so less money to dole out to the municipalities which means local property taxes will rise with less State assistance.

At the same time with Sunoco closing down two refineries (one on each side of the Delaware River) and keeping only one open they will maximize their profits while reducing available supply so they can keep prices up based on demand out pacing production capacity. These guys (the oil companies) could care less if you can't afford $7.00/gal, all they want is ALL the money they can rake in with no regard for how it impacts everyone else. The other refinery which closed I believe is Valero.
                All these e facilities are old, and are some of the oldest refineries in the country. While they have done piece meal upgrades and refits over the years they are still not as efficient as newer facilities over seas or elsewhere in the US. Labor is so cheap overseas that it is actually cheaper to refine the crude abroad and ship finished product here in tankers than it is to crack the crude here at US refineries that are subject to EPA, OSHA, and State regulations and taxes.

Remember that most oil companies are global now, and have forsaken their history and allegiance to this country where many of them started, or at least the piece that was of the USA started. Now-a-days you have BP-Amoco and Exxon-Mobil and other such conglomerates
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

This is the kind of thing that keeps me from buying a truck. Have any idea how embarrassing it is to be the (now licensed) electrician that shows up at the jobsite in a Ford Focus?

Comment

Whats the cost of a gallon of petrol in the U.S today.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                      Whats the cost of a gallon of petrol in the U.S today.

Tony
                      Yeah yeah, that old forum troll line. I remember years ago, some Briton chimed in on a gaming forum on a similar thread, "When Americans whine about the price of petrol, it's music to my ears."

One thing you have to keep in mind, last I checked, 75% of the cost of petrol is TAX.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                        Yeah yeah, that old forum troll line. I remember years ago, some Briton chimed in on a gaming forum on a similar thread, "When Americans whine about the price of petrol, it's music to my ears."

One thing you have to keep in mind, last I checked, 75% of the cost of petrol is TAX.
                        So I`m asking again what is the cost of a gallon of petrol in the U.S, my God you have a chip on your shoulder.

Tony

Comment

North of that border (Ontario) we are at $1.02 per litre or $3.86 per US gallon. Our brilliant provincial government has devised a new tax scheme that will add another 8% to that in June and with the usual $0.10 demand increase in the summer we expect to see $1.20/ litre this summer if the barrel price stays were it is. If you combine all the taxes we pay (income, sales, property etc) I pay more in tax that I take home but that is another whole topic for discussion

Comment

To answer Tony's question, the current national average is $2.73 per U.S. gallon.

State and local taxes can add to this, for example, here in Florida, the state allows counties to tack on up to 10 cents/gallon for tax.

We are all well aware that this is less than most of the rest of the world, but over the past 100 odd years, low petrol (as you call it) prices have driven our economy. Auto sales, homes in the suburbs, construction jobs building highways to those suburbs for years drove our economy.

Comment

Yes we bouncing around $1.27 a litre right now based on Singapore crude whatever that means and our lord and masters are taking around 40% in taxes and charges.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X