Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should We Make 12th Grade Optional?

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
    The recent SCOTUS ruling was an extraordinary act of judicial activism. They went well beyond the scope of the original arguments presented to the court and came back with a grand, sweeping decision that overturned over a century of precedent.

Chief justice Roberts, despite his claims to honoring, respecting and following precedence during his confirmation hearings, was all to eager to take on this case and open the flood gates for corporations, both here and abroad (foreign owned corporations).

It is an all out give away to the monied interests. W's legacy will be sticking the country with a chief justice young enough to possibly live long enough to regret his own decisions.
    While I don't necessarily agree with the court here is where I see the problem:

"A corporation is an institution that is granted a charter recognizing it as a separate legal entity having its own privileges, and liabilities distinct from those of its members."

As a society we have allowed the Corporation to protect the actions of those who run them by considering them as a separate legal entity. As a separate legal entity they do have certain rights and privileges just like you and I have. I think what we should be looking at more closely is the structure and protection given to a Corporation. I'm getting tired of seeing these contractors who do a corporate BK just to repurchase their assets at auction and add a II to the name of the corporation.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      While I don't necessarily agree with the court here is where I see the problem:

"A corporation is an institution that is granted a charter recognizing it as a separate legal entity having its own privileges, and liabilities distinct from those of its members."

As a society we have allowed the Corporation to protect the actions of those who run them by considering them as a separate legal entity. As a separate legal entity they do have certain rights and privileges just like you and I have. I think what we should be looking at more closely is the structure and protection given to a Corporation. I'm getting tired of seeing these contractors who do a corporate BK just to repurchase their assets at auction and add a II to the name of the corporation.

Mark
      I read the court ruling IMO and to me the opinions from the prevailing side make very little sense. The court hung its decision on, (among other things) the right to free speech. Which is interesting, since corporations are legal entity, yes, but not citizens. I always believed that the bill of rights applied to citizens, not "things". It's astonishing Orwellian decision.... along the lines of "all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others".

But then again, why should the influence of money be restricted to the executive and legislative branches?

I already wrote my congressperson urging appropriate legislation to effectively mitigate this decisiosn and also suggested impeachment of the judges... that, death and voluntary retirement are the only ways to get rid of them. So happens, she chairs the Ways and Means committee and repsponded that they are intending to do exactly that (the legislation, not the impeachment!). We shall see if they do, and if so, how far it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
        I read the court ruling IMO and to me the opinions from the prevailing side make very little sense. The court hung its decision on, (among other things) the right to free speech. Which is interesting, since corporations are legal entity, yes, but not citizens. I always believed that the bill of rights applied to citizens, not "things". It's astonishing Orwellian decision.... along the lines of "all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others".

But then again, why should the influence of money be restricted to the executive and legislative branches?

I already wrote my congressperson urging appropriate legislation to effectively mitigate this decisiosn and also suggested impeachment of the judges... that, death and voluntary retirement are the only ways to get rid of them. So happens, she chairs the Ways and Means committee and repsponded that they are intending to do exactly that (the legislation, not the impeachment!). We shall see if they do, and if so, how far it gets.
        By legal citizen I assume you meant a member of the human race since the court does not differentiate between legal, illegal, citizen or non citizen when it comes to free speech. It appears what they ended up doing was saying an entity is an entity whether it is legal, illegal, citizen, non citizen or legally created. Next thing you know we will have to ask for a religious interpretation of life. Oops that has already be done so perhaps an entity does not exist until the papers leave the recorders office (J/K).

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
          I wonder what the corporate voting booths are going to look like...
          Do we have to pay for runways for the corporate jets to land?
          411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

By legal citizen I assume you meant a member of the human race since the court does not differentiate between legal, illegal, citizen or non citizen when it comes to free speech. It appears what they ended up doing was saying an entity is an entity whether it is legal, illegal, citizen, non citizen or legally created. Next thing you know we will have to ask for a religious interpretation of life. Oops that has already be done so perhaps an entity does not exist until the papers leave the recorders office (J/K).

Mark
            Exactly. I guess "We The People" doesn't mean what I thought it meant... could be 12th grade government class was a waste after all...

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
              I wonder what the corporate voting booths are going to look like...
              Do we have to pay for runways for the corporate jets to land?
              Well , Coca Cola , DOW Chemical and all the boys you see at the ball games will probably want to sponsor the voting booths.

Maybe after you vote you'll get a free Pepsi or something

maybe something like this

Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
              New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Mark
                A corporation can be nothing more than their charter. The charter presents the reason for the corporation to exist. A corporation may exist simply to produce widgets. They are certainly entitled to sell, advertise and promote their widgets. But corporations should not have any right to influence, shape, narrate or otherwise participate to any degree in our political system.

Corporations were created to limit the liabilities of the owners/operators. This in my mind is advantage enough. Granting corporations limitless participation in our political system is a slippery slope.

Our history books will start referencing milestones in corporate history as our markers rather than Columbus, Washington, Lincoln, WWII.....

Comment

I have a good way to answer if 12th grade should be optional. The space program was brought up quite a bit. how about if we look at the graduation rate of the Country within 25 years prior to NASA's hay day. Better still lets look at how the school systems operated in the 25 years prior to NASA's hay day. I think the graduation rate will be lower then people think, yet we could put a man on the moon.

I could be wrong maybe the graduation rate was high.

Comment

At least around where I live, the graduation rate is made artificially high. The public schools need to maintain a certain graduation rate in order to receive full funding for the next fiscal year. How is this done? Why, by lowering the requirements needed to graduate of course! Please, you don't expect our schools to do things like enforcing the rules, assign homework, and keep expectations high, do you? How do you expect these schools to stay open if they are forced to expel a few unruly students here and there, even if they did things like drugs or bring weapons in from home! Such things lowers the graduation rate to a level that puts funding at risk! We simply can't have that! WE have teachers to employ! And employing teachers is always a good thing, right? RIGHT???

Comment

Working...
                    X