Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whig Party (United States)? Any History Buffs out there?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whig Party (United States)? Any History Buffs out there?

Hey Guys,

Since you all post on other threads and are super knowledgeable, I wanted to get your opinion or ask you guys about this.

I was reading, well printing some stuff from Wikipedia and was looking at the list of 50 Presidents and I came across something called the "Whig Party".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whig_Pa...ited_States%29

This name was chosen to echo the American Whigs of 1776, who fought for independence, and because "Whig" was then a widely recognized label of choice for people who saw themselves as opposing autocratic rule.[2] The Whig Party counted among its members such national political luminaries as Daniel Webster, William Henry Harrison, and their preeminent leader, Henry Clay of Kentucky. In addition to Harrison, the Whig Party also counted four war heroes among its ranks, including Generals Zachary Taylor and Winfield Scott. Abraham Lincoln was a Whig leader in frontier Illinois.
    So, my question is, Was this better then GOP Vs Dems back in the day?

I see according to wiki, in the early days it was Whigs Vs Dems

Then it changed to GOP Vs Dems....

Any History buffs out there with any cool facts about this early party?

I have never heard of this before today, Guess my school never taught this to me.

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whig_Pa...ited_States%29
    Party structure

The Whigs suffered greatly from factionalism throughout their existence, in contrast to the party loyalty that was the hallmark of a tight Democratic Party organization. One strength of the Whigs, however, was a superb network of newspapers that provided an internal information system; their leading editor was Horace Greeley of the powerful New York Tribune. In their heyday, in the 1840s, the Whigs had strong support in the manufacturing Northeast and the border states. However, the Democratic Party grew more quickly over this time, and the Whigs lost more and more marginal states and districts. After the closely contested 1844 elections, the Democratic advantage widened, and the Whigs were only able to win nationally by splitting the opposition. This was partly because of the increased political importance of the western states, which generally voted for Democrats, and Irish Catholic and German immigrants, who also tended to vote for Democrats.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 03-16-2010, 12:25 PM.
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Re: Whig Party (United States)? Any History Buffs out there?

The Whig party was one of the earliest parties in American history. I believe during those first few years after we won our independance from Great Britain, it was the Whigs and the Democrats. The GOP did not come into existance until sometime later and may not have been until sometime around the American Civil War, IIRC.

Of course I'd have to go back and touch up on my history a bit, as I've undoubtedly forgotten way too much. But, you are not alone in never hearing about such things.

I'm just now listening to a program on NPR about the text book selection process in Texas where extreme conservitism is even removing Thomas Jefferson's name from history textbooks. There is way too much political influence in the teaching of history in America's schools.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
      I'm just now listening to a program on NPR about the text book selection process in Texas where extreme conservitism is even removing Thomas Jefferson's name from history textbooks. There is way too much political influence in the teaching of history in America's schools.
      What is the perceived logic behind removing Thomas Jefferson? Most conservatives I know would embrace our founding fathers; even though notions such as freedom and individual rights were radical at the time.

Comment

The logic is that they want to teach Christian fundamentalism, among other things. Jean Calvin made the list of approved historical figures while Thomas Jefferson didn't make the cut. They want to emphaisze

The Texas board is comprised of 15 members, none of who are experts in any of the subjects the text books address.

Because the Texas education system is the largest in the nation, text book publishers tend to produce the text books Texas wants and the rest of the states get stuck with these same books.

[REMOVED BY REQUEST OF ORIGINAL SOURCE]

Who needs the Taliban when we have Texas?

I'm currently reading A Peoples History of the United States. I wouldn't be surprised if that title is banned from Texas school and public libraries.

Why won't they just do everyone a favor and secede?
        Last edited by Josh; 04-06-2010, 11:21 AM.

Comment

I believe it was pretty much the Whigs and and the Tories or Tory party...

In any case the Tories often ended up wearing tar and feathers as they were loyalists or allied to the King...

Personally I can think of a bunch of politicians on both sides of the aisle who have heavily contributed to this countries problems that I'd like to see tarred and feathered...

411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Here's a helpful article on American political from the Revolution to Reconstruction.
            http://everything2.com/title/Evoluti...Reconstruction

Comment

WHOA !!

Awesome feedback guys !!

Yea, I had never heard of all this before today, Good Thing for wiki,

Thanks for all the replies ! Keep um coming if you like
              Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
              New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Working...
              X