Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Healthcare IS NOW LAW!!!

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    I've never encountered anything that did not have both positives and negatives.

So I'll post a question for those that seem to be very much in favor of the reform. (Skool, Redwood, Spiff, James)

What are the negatives associated with the Bill/Law?

And on the other side, those that seem to be very against the Bill/Law (NH, Utah, Frankie, others) what are the positives?

I'm asking for a couple of reasons...

J.C.
    J.C., if insurance companies will truly have to accept folks with pre-existing conditions and don't find a way to worm out of it, that would be great. Extending coverage for children up to the age of 26 if I am correct is a step in the right direction, young people are finding employment nearly impossible so there is a need to extend coverage under their parent's policy.

I'm getting tired of taking care of my house and worrying about my finances, so if the extra taxes incurred from claiming my benefits make me homeless, problem solved. Just got to see the bright side of life.

I am not well enough informed to appreciate the good things that have got to be in this legislation. My complaints are more to do with paying for it and the way it was passed. I'm sure other things deserved more attention, and those in need could have been covered starting immediately if those in power wanted. What good is help that does not take effect now?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      J.C., if insurance companies will truly have to accept folks with pre-existing conditions and don't find a way to worm out of it, that would be great. Extending coverage for children up to the age of 26 if I am correct is a step in the right direction, young people are finding employment nearly impossible so there is a need to extend coverage under their parent's policy.

I'm getting tired of taking care of my house and worrying about my finances, so if the extra taxes incurred from claiming my benefits make me homeless, problem solved. Just got to see the bright side of life.

I am not well enough informed to appreciate the good things that have got to be in this legislation. My complaints are more to do with paying for it and the way it was passed. I'm sure other things deserved more attention, and those in need could have been covered starting immediately if those in power wanted. What good is help that does not take effect now?
      If I understand your post correctly, you have found 2 positives in relation to this Bill/Law:

1) Insurance companies may have to accept those with pre-existing conditions.

2) Coverage may be extended to children up to the age of 26.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Why do you think this is going to be so much better for you than Child's Health Plus. I thought you had four kids, so you should be able to get insurance for $90/month.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh...s_eligible.htm

Comment

all I was pointing out is that until it is enacted and all the provisions are sorted out and working will any one really know what this does to the health care of this country or for the individual, both sides said many many things, as in most politics many things are half truths, so just because some one said some thing does not even mean it was in the bill, and if it was not properly worded, it does little of what the intent or the thought was, it is what was written, that is usually acted up on.

I for some reason I just have this feeling that many will be greatly disappointed as to what the reality will be, from what was said.

all I have to say is yes health care will be reformed if this bill is enacted, but in the long run will it be better is yet to be seen,

I will just take this for an example, I remember O talking about insurance that was not insurance one day,
          4. If you don't get insurance from your employer, that might change.
          Starting in 2014, if your company employs more than 50 people, it will be required to offer you a health plan that covers at least 60 percent of your overall health costs, or the company will be fined $750 per year per full-time worker. That fine could increase to $2,000 if the reconciliation act passes.
          60% is very poor insurance, IMO if you have $150,000 bill, for some lower income person your still bankrupt (you still own $90,000).

I think during this discussion I have seen figures between $250 to $700 a month on insurance premiums, per person, I think was stated, so the average would be in the $450 range a month, $450 x 12 is $5400, what is cheaper the fine or the premium?
          and this new storybasicly say the same range, http://www.usnews.com/health/blogs/o...ercent-cheaper
          If the fine is cheaper why would you buy the insurance, if your not buying it now, or can not afford it now?

I hope it works now that it is law and if it is enacted, I just have a gut feeling the entire county has had the wool pulled over there eyes on the reality of the situation,

and I would bet that in the end will end up costing ever one more, in some way or the other. the reality of the care will be less and the cost will be more.

yes some will benefit, there is no doubt about it, but I bet when it is balanced out many more will end up with less,

PlumbingSkool I hope it all your wanting it to be, I just hope that is the reality of it,

I have dealt with the federal government for 30 years with the USDA, and have gone in and signed many of the contracts on the farm programs and so on, what I find amazing is that they can change there end any time they want, but you dare not change any thing on your end, you go in and they may change it 10 20 times during the duration of a single year, (I was in the office a few weeks ago, looking a new program they had, the sign up was to be done by September 15 09, it still is not done, believe it or not they did not even have all the details figured out until a few weeks ago, and since September to now they have changed and changed and changed the details of the program,

my neighbor went in and signed up for a water saving program on his irrigation, (part of the conserving end of the USDA), they told him they would pay 60% of the conversion on the unit, so he called up and had the irrigation repair company to come out and change the system from a high pressure to a low pressure sprinkler with the water saving heads as required by the contract he signed, and jumped through all the hoops and crossed all the t's and dotted all the I's, When he took the evidence of the completed project into the office he was told they were not going to pay any thing, and there was nothing he Could do but pay the bill him self. (he never was given a clear understanding of why, and I can garantee you this person is no dummy and mis understood what he was entering into.

there is also a federal program that is call all risk crop insurance, and they work through private insurance companies, they do ever trick and thing in the book to keep from paying out, if you get hailed out and there is only 2 bushel of crop left in the field (which is way below economic threshold to cut or pick) you would think that they would take the guarantee and subtract the 2 bushels and pay on the loss, but no they subtract what would supposed to be the harvest bill off of the guarantee, so it is more like 7 bushels they subtract from the guarantee, the only way to get pay on the other 5 bushels of loss is to go and harvest the 2 buslels, (so you still lose the money), and even tho about the only way one gets payed if if there is 100% loss, and it is required to be carried if you have a loan or participate in any of the farm programs, and you only get payed on the guarantee, not the actual loss, (my banker told me about customer after customer that borwed money on the promise that the insurance company would cover a crop loss of up to XXXX amount, but when it came time to pay out, some how it did not work out to the figures that were given to them when signing up for the federal crop inurance,

Really I hope for all that are looking to this as a salvation from your problems that it is all you expect it to be, and it does what your hoping for.

most of my experience with the federal government if your in need it is to little to late if ever or the conditions of the help are such that your better off with out it.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

the one thing no one is thinking about. is sure they have to take you with any conditions. but they can charge you anything they want.

Comment

The insurance company has to take you but the doctor doesn't. Several around here just announced in the paper that they would no longer take medicare patients because of the cut in what they recieve,

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Up to 45,000 people die each year in the U.S without health insurance. 2,420,000 people die each year in the U.S. Seems like you're better off with out insurance.

“You will not die because you are ill, but because you are alive” Seneca

Comment

Let's remember how Obama sold this.

The Bill would cost 640 Billion and pay for itself in savings.

The cost of health care will not go up and new taxes will pay for it.

The cost of health care will go up but we will subsidize you if you make under $88,000.

It will be interesting to look back at this in 10-years and see what the real truth is.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Starting in 2014, if your company employs more than 50 people, it will be required to offer you a health plan that covers at least 60 percent of your overall health costs, or the company will be fined $750 per year per full-time worker. That fine could increase to $2,000 if the reconciliation act passes.

I guess now the employers currently paying $10,000 per year to cover their employee can cancel all of the policies and save some money by just paying the fines.

Mark
                    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-25-2010, 09:41 PM.
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

I guess now the employers currently paying $10,000 per year to cover their employee can cancel all of the policies and save some money buy just paying the fines.

Mark
                      You read my mind. That IS what will happen.

J.C.

Comment

I think it is pretty obvious who has fostered the culture of violence as well as who keeps fanning the flame. I haven't seen or read any accounts of republicans being on the receiving end of threats and violence.

You say you're an instructor. Do you work at a private facility by chance?

Sure employers can eventually drop insurance and just pay the fine. The smart employers will lure the good employees away with a health insurance plan.

Besides, the employer doesn't really pay the insurance premiums. Just like the employer doesn't pay the taxes. These are operating costs that are simply built into the selling price of the goods or services.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                          I think it is pretty obvious who has fostered the culture of violence as well as who keeps fanning the flame. I haven't seen or read any accounts of republicans being on the receiving end of threats and violence.

You say you're an instructor. Do you work at a private facility by chance?

Sure employers can eventually drop insurance and just pay the fine. The smart employers will lure the good employees away with a health insurance plan.

Besides, the employer doesn't really pay the insurance premiums. Just like the employer doesn't pay the taxes. These are operating costs that are simply built into the selling price of the goods or services.
                          And you left out that an employer/business owner will vigilantly try to decrease costs and increase the net. To just magically throw in the new and higher operating costs is a quick way out of business.

J.C.

Comment

Why should employers have anything to do with health insurance? The whole screwball scheme is responsible for a large part of the problem. Why don't we tie car insurance to employment? When you got laid off you would have to get on a car COBRA plan to keep driving... or if you were self employed you would pay twice as much. Stupid, no? But this is all ok for health insurance?

The United States is, I believe, the only industrialized country that ties health insurance to the workplace.

I am 100% in support of healthcare reform. Just, not this one. The proponents are trying to overcome the negative sentiments about this bill by selling a few features... no denials for pre-existing conditions and the like. Of course, there are loopholes in that! And, such needed rules - and others to end insurance company abuses - could have easily been enacted without all the rest of the Obaminable nonsense.

I'm hoping that there are severe repercussions for all this come election time. But Americans have proven that they like the taste of kool-aid. After all, we re-elected Bush 43.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                              Why should employers have anything to do with health insurance? The whole screwball scheme is responsible for a large part of the problem. Why don't we tie car insurance to employment? When you got laid off you would have to get on a car COBRA plan to keep driving... or if you were self employed you would pay twice as much. Stupid, no? But this is all ok for health insurance?

The United States is, I believe, the only industrialized country that ties health insurance to the workplace.

I am 100% in support of healthcare reform. Just, not this one. The proponents are trying to overcome the negative sentiments about this bill by selling a few features... no denials for pre-existing conditions and the like. Of course, there are loopholes in that! And, such needed rules - and others to end insurance company abuses - could have easily been enacted without all the rest of the Obaminable nonsense.

I'm hoping that there are severe repercussions for all this come election time. But Americans have proven that they like the taste of kool-aid. After all, we re-elected Bush 43.
                              I have always thought it ridiculous to tie health insurance to employers. Why should employers be required to offer anything expect money for work preformed.

Funny thing has happened here in MI. we have medical marijuana now. The few people I know that use it are happy to pay for it themselves as it is not covered by insurance. I wounder if they would complain about paying for any other medicine not covered by insurance?

Comment

If companies didn't get myriad tax incentives for providing benefits for the employers, they wouldn't be offering anything. Most employers are waiting to see what type of system is set up for the "uninsured" to see if they can dump employees into it, and if possible will do this and pay the fines.
                                One large part of the bill is spending billions on electronic control of medical records, so being able to "keep your insurance" if you change jobs will come with the caveat that everyone involved will have access to your records, and can then charge accordingly for your premium. Then, don't forget the “Cadillac” tax charge, as the rates rise, if you end up with anything near the coverage you have now, you will be considered in this bracket.
                                The uninsured that now will have coverage will not provide any savings, they will still go to the emergency room with a cold, and cost the insurance carrier a lot more than is necessary.
                                Insurance was not intended to provide a lot of care for a small premium. Original insurance premiums were designed to cover catastrophic coverage in case something drastic happened. Actuarial tables were used to calculate the odds of someone having a bad accident, and the coverage’s were set up accordingly so the insurance companies could make a profit. Paying $20 per month for a $300 prescription was not part of the plan, but it has turned into what people expect from their insurance coverage.
                                You will see a proliferation of very large deductible policies from this legislation, and most people won’t have the self-control to have $5,000 in an account to cover the out of pocket expenses that will be required before any insurance kicks in.

Comment

Working...
                                X