X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional Weird Food

Before things become so homogeneous that we forget our roots, tell us what some of your favorite local eats are. Or maybe it's not from your ancestry, it's just you. (Elvis' fried peanut butter sandwiches notwithstanding)

1. peanut butter and pickle (hamburger dill slices) sandwich

2. turnip greens cooked with salt pork and served with corn bread to sop up the pot liquor.

3. cured country ham.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Regional Weird Food

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
    Before things become so homogeneous that we forget our roots, tell us what some of your favorite local eats are. Or maybe it's not from your ancestry, it's just you. (Elvis' fried peanut butter sandwiches notwithstanding)

1. peanut butter and pickle (hamburger dill slices) sandwich

2. turnip greens cooked with salt pork and served with corn bread to sop up the pot liquor.

3. cured country ham.
    I know 2 and 3 well, but never heard of number 1.

I've been to some places when I was younger that had no idea what a Cheese Dog was at all.

J.C.

Comment

My son brought a friend home from college one weekend and we served country ham for breakfast. He politely stated he thought the ham had gone rancid.
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
        My son brought a friend home from college one weekend and we served country ham for breakfast. He politely stated he thought the ham had gone rancid.
        Did he try it? What did he think?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Did he try it? What did he think?

J.C.
          Nope, he thought it was spoiled. He was from Wisconsin or Michigan, somewhere above the m/d line.

Comment

Chicken and Dumplings.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by slimtim View Post
              my son brought a friend home from college one weekend and we served country ham for breakfast. He politely stated he thought the ham had gone rancid.
              i love rancid ! It's an acquired taste !
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

My dad in the 50s. He'd bring home tripe, Pickled pigs feet , smelly cheese ,sardines,
                Balantine Ale. Us kids would say " Hay Dad You're stinkin up the Kelvinator!!!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Banana Croquettes

Make a mix of mayonnaise and cream. Grind up some peanuts. Dip quartered pieces of a banana in the mayonnaises mix then roll in peanuts. You either love them or hate them, there is no in-between. When I moved from KY to Cincinnati, no-one had ever heard of these. My grandmother used to make them every time we got together.

Comment

Originally posted by nkyrental View Post
                    Banana Croquettes

Make a mix of mayonnaise and cream. Grind up some peanuts. Dip quartered pieces of a banana in the mayonnaises mix then roll in peanuts. You either love them or hate them, there is no in-between. When I moved from KY to Cincinnati, no-one had ever heard of these. My grandmother used to make them every time we got together.
                    Where was your grandmother from?

Comment

Rocky Mountain Oysters!
                      corn smut- Mexican truffle huitlacoche-raven's excrement

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        My dad in the 50s. He'd bring home tripe, Pickled pigs feet , smelly cheese ,sardines,
                        Balantine Ale. Us kids would say " Hay Dad You're stinkin up the Kelvinator!!!
                        Man, you just named some good eats!

Comment

German Potato salad, Sauer Kraut ,and Kielbasa. Stay away from open flame the next day.

I used to love Boston Brown Bread. It came in a can. Haven't seen it since I was a kid.

Comment

Haggis, a Scottish dish containing sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally simmered in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours.

Comment

During my time "north of the border", Vancouver to be exact, I came accross THIS little heart clogger:

BTW, that's cottage cheese in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X