Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Health coverage until 26 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Health coverage until 26

    Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
    It's the little things that kill us! Changing out the oil or fuel filter in your car is one things, changing out a heart, kidney, or liver, is, well, a bit more expensive!
    Yeah, but let's say you had a deductible of $2400 and 10% after that for a family of four. Your $50,000 heart surgery would cost you $2400 + $4760 = $7160. That is a lot of money, but it is a heck of a lot less than $50,000; and most plans also have a maximum out of pocket (mine is $4800).

    Does that mean that if you get a cold, you need to be able to see a Doctor for $10, instead of the $150 that they would otherwise charge?

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Health coverage until 26

      Originally posted by cpw View Post
      Yeah, but let's say you had a deductible of $2400 and 10% after that for a family of four. Your $50,000 heart surgery would cost you $2400 + $4760 = $7160. That is a lot of money, but it is a heck of a lot less than $50,000; and most plans also have a maximum out of pocket (mine is $4800).

      Does that mean that if you get a cold, you need to be able to see a Doctor for $10, instead of the $150 that they would otherwise charge?
      How is that different than the $500 - $1000 deductable on auto insurance?

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Health coverage until 26

        Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
        How is that different than the $500 - $1000 deductable on auto insurance?
        It's not really. The difference, at least for us is there are two numbers. The first is that we pay up to $2400 (like the $1000 deductible). Then we pay 10% of the cost, up until we pay $4800; then we pay nothing until we hit one of the policy limits (like $500,000 or something). When we have a car insurance claim, we just pay a flat $1000 no matter if the damage is $2300 or $23,000.

        One other big advantage is that BCBS negotiates with the doctors, so there is a discount compared to what was originally billed.

        My wife's company contributes to an HSA, so our first $1200 of care a is covered through that (we get to keep the money until next year if we don't spend it, but that is unlikely to happen given that my son has a developmental disorder).

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Health coverage until 26

          Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I believe it was our good friend Wrench Spinner who got his degree in Mechanical Engineering then took a job in Plumbing and eventually went back to Engineering.

          Mark

          BTW: He seems to have disappeared since he got married. I hope all is well.
          Mark, Is this the same Wrench Spinner over at The Hobart Weld Talk Forum ?
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Health coverage until 26

            Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
            It's the little things that kill us! Changing out the oil or fuel filter in your car is one things, changing out a heart, kidney, or liver, is, well, a bit more expensive!
            Unfortunately, it can be little things as well as big things that do us in. I'd say in the last year we have know three people under forty who have died of skin cancer. A tiny little nothing of a freckle that is cancerous and somehow breaks off and travels in the body. Now my family sees a dermotologist and he does a mapping of all the moles on our bodies for future reference. My wife and I have had a couple suspicious ones removed. Seems like a minor thing compared to an emergency operation, but often you can survive surgery, not so with skin cancer that does not get caught!

            I think of folks who have never had a scary health event as similar to folks who have not been the victims of a crime. They have a false sense of security about their health, just like the folks who think crime will always happen to someone else and in some other neighborhood. Good luck.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Health coverage until 26

              Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Mark, Is this the same Wrench Spinner over at The Hobart Weld Talk Forum ?
              I don't believe so and he is actually a Civil Engineer not a Mechanical Engineer. He has not posted since November but has logged on a recently as this month. I believe he is probably one of the first members on the site joining back in 2000.

              Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

              Comment

              Working...
              X