X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health coverage until 26

I heard an interesting question on the radio today. Now that children can remain on their parent's insurance until they are 26, does that mean that their wives and children will also be on the parent's policy? There are probably a lot of married 26 year olds with children who could benefit from this. Would the couple each have to be on their own parent's policy or would one parent be able to cover both? What if one, say the wife, has no parents.
    Would the husband's parents cover her, too?
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Re: Health coverage until 26

I'm guessing it is only until they are emancipated. Heck by the time I was 26, Brenda and I already had 6-kids of our own. Our cuirrent policy allows children up through 25 years old to say on the policy as long as they are full-time students.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      I'm guessing it is only until they are emancipated. Heck by the time I was 26, Brenda and I already had 6-kids of our own. Our cuirrent policy allows children up through 25 years old to say on the policy as long as they are full-time students.

Mark
      I almost spewed my coffee out. Married with 6 kids by the age of 26? How did you pull that off?

Anyrate, that insurance policy is similar to the one my parents have, up until the age of 18, or 25 for children in full-time colleges.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
        I almost spewed my coffee out. Married with 6 kids by the age of 26? How did you pull that off?

Anyrate, that insurance policy is similar to the one my parents have, up until the age of 18, or 25 for children in full-time colleges.
        My wife and I graduated High School in June of 1970, married in January of 1971, had baby #6 in August of 1979, two months shy of my 27th birthday. Eighteen months later I opened my own shop to better pay for all of the babies we had.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          My wife and I graduated High School in June of 1970, married in January of 1971, had baby #6 in August of 1979, two months shy of my 27th birthday. Eighteen months later I opened my own shop to better pay for all of the babies we had.

Mark
          All I can say is God truly blessed you.

Comment

I would hope that in order to qualify the child must be dependent qualified, i.e. either in school or medically dependent. If not well then that part of the bill is just WRONG!
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

What person of reasonable health can't be supporting themselves by age 23?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                What person of reasonable health can't be supporting themselves by age 23?

J.C.

Any person who finds that their Bachelor's degree won't automatically guarantee them a job and have thus decided to continue on toward a Masters or a PHD.

Perhaps you haven't seen the unemployment figures for recent college grads.... you know, it isn't just the factory workers and the tradesmen that are finding employment difficult.

And if you don't go to college, then it's most likely a minimum wage job. Nobody on minimum wage can afford to live, much less have healthcare.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  Any person who finds that their Bachelor's degree won't automatically guarantee them a job and have thus decided to continue on toward a Masters or a PHD.

Perhaps you haven't seen the unemployment figures for recent college grads.... you know, it isn't just the factory workers and the tradesmen that are finding employment difficult.

And if you don't go to college, then it's most likely a minimum wage job. Nobody on minimum wage can afford to live, much less have healthcare.

CWS
                  I respectfully disagree on some points. There are many college grads that can't find employment in their field and for their "skills". (I put skill in quotes 'cause the ones that I have ran into have very limited skills from what I've seen).

Then there are those that are willing to dig ditches and take minimum wages for awhile to get a start. The others move back in with Mom and Dad because they can't find what they want.

J.C.

Comment

I believe it was our good friend Wrench Spinner who got his degree in Mechanical Engineering then took a job in Plumbing and eventually went back to Engineering.

Mark

BTW: He seems to have disappeared since he got married. I hope all is well.

Comment

I dont remember going to the doctor until I was in my 30's and it was a wasted trip.
                      How many people in their early to mid 20's need health insurance?

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                        I dont remember going to the doctor until I was in my 30's and it was a wasted trip.

You would be suprised. For people in that pre-30's range, they really just need preventative care, like innoculations, annual checkup's, and catastrouphic plans, in the event of a serious injury.

I'll use myself as an example, I has to twice go to a clinic to remove debris from my eye, BEFORE damage was done, AND once more for an ear infection, a painful one at that, to get a prescription. Not to mention the occasional stitches.

Also, in the last two years, my biological father came down with not only colon cancer, but liver cancer, and in the last week, been diagnosed with Type II diabeties, all three with a excellent chance of being hereditary. God knows how many other time bombs I have been heir too.

Tell me again why people my age don't need health insurance?

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                          You would be suprised. For people in that pre-30's range, they really just need preventative care, like innoculations, annual checkup's, and catastrouphic plans, in the event of a serious injury.

I'll use myself as an example, I has to twice go to a clinic to remove debris from my eye, BEFORE damage was done, AND once more for an ear infection, a painful one at that, to get a prescription. Not to mention the occasional stitches.

Also, in the last two years, my biological father came down with not only colon cancer, but liver cancer, and in the last week, been diagnosed with Type II diabeties, all three with a excellent chance of being hereditary. God knows how many other time bombs I have been heir too.

Tell me again why people my age don't need health insurance?
                          What's been the estimated cost of your health needs thus far?

And for the record, last I read insurance companies LOVE having men 20-30 years old 'cause they get the best premium to claim % of any other demographic.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                            It is no longer a matter of need now that it is mandated. Their policies are now needed to help absorb some of the risk.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post

CWS
                              A person making minimum wage where in live in CT would have to work twenty four hours a day, seven days a week and still not afford rent, food and a car. The economy is bad and employers can choose from folks with college degrees and work experience over new grads. Things are getting worse. Can you imagine making eight or ten dollars an hour and paying a thousand dollars a month for rent, a thousand for health insurance and food, and , and , and?

Comment

Working...
                              X