Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

    Here is what Obama said in August, 2008 about offshore drilling:

    "Sen. Barack Obama suggested he could accept an expansion of offshore oil drilling today if it is in a broader package of energy measures that would free the logjam on energy bills in Congress.

    "My interest is in making sure we've got the kind of comprehensive energy policy that can bring down gas prices," Obama said in an interview with The Palm Beach Post."

    "Obama, through his Senate office, issued a written statement welcoming a proposal sent to Senate leaders Friday by 10 senators -- five from each party -- that would lift drilling bans in the eastern Gulf of Mexico within 50 miles of Florida's beaches and in the South Atlantic off Virginia, the Carolinas and Georgia, but only if a state agrees to the oil and gas development along its coast."

    The cost associated with Cap and Trade is speculative at this point.

    As for untaxed medical benefits, I can not speak to that. Could you please provide a link?

    I listened this morning as NPR explained how CAT and AT&T are very upset with the end of their subsidy. Seems back when congress passed the Medicare Part D program they decided to entice large corporations to keep their retired employees on their pharma plan. To do this, congress paid 28% of the bill for the corporations while allowing the corporations to claim 100% of the cost (even though only 72% of the cost actually occurred) on their taxes.

    A sweetheart deal. No wonder they are unhappy now.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

      http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1914020220100319

      Employers will have to report the value of employee health plans on W-2 forms. This added previously untaxed income. will change in 2018. That's eight years of much higher taxes, similar to what McCain wanted to do.
      You can speculate on what cap and trade will or won't do, but I'm sure if businesses have to by energy credits to operate the costs will be shifted to consumers. Us!

      The middle class will be paying for the uninsured through higher taxes. All that campaign talk about the only people who would have higher taxes would be those making over $250,000 was a lie! Bringing the troops home in 18 months, If that happens will cost plenty of lives in the mean time.

      The green jobs, alternative energy, what the heck happened?
      All I am seeing is higher taxes, drilling for oil which is what the republcians wanted and no new jobs. Some F'n change.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

        Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
        I listened this morning as NPR explained how CAT and AT&T are very upset with the end of their subsidy. Seems back when congress passed the Medicare Part D program they decided to entice large corporations to keep their retired employees on their pharma plan. To do this, congress paid 28% of the bill for the corporations while allowing the corporations to claim 100% of the cost (even though only 72% of the cost actually occurred) on their taxes.

        A sweetheart deal. No wonder they are unhappy now.
        I'm sure ultimately the corporations will either lay workers off or cut services to their retired employees. Unless you're the Government the money always has to come from someplace.

        Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

          I don't recall hearing the corporations complaining about the subsidy they received from the government. Up until then they were funding the whole program themselves with no assistance from the government. Now they are simply back to where they were prior to the passage of Medicare Part D. They had a few good years where they were able to double dip.

          Sorry, but I have absolutely no sympathy for big business. They have plenty of representation at the table. It is the small mom and pop operations that get pinched. When was the last time a small company decided to send its operations overseas?

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

            Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1914020220100319

            Employers will have to report the value of employee health plans on W-2 forms. This added previously untaxed income. will change in 2018. That's eight years of much higher taxes, similar to what McCain wanted to do.
            You can speculate on what cap and trade will or won't do, but I'm sure if businesses have to by energy credits to operate the costs will be shifted to consumers. Us!

            The middle class will be paying for the uninsured through higher taxes. All that campaign talk about the only people who would have higher taxes would be those making over $250,000 was a lie! Bringing the troops home in 18 months, If that happens will cost plenty of lives in the mean time.

            The green jobs, alternative energy, what the heck happened?
            All I am seeing is higher taxes, drilling for oil which is what the republcians wanted and no new jobs. Some F'n change.
            The excise tax doesn't kick in until 2018.

            "WHAT HAPPENS IN 2018

            *An excise tax on high cost employer-provided plans is imposed. The first $27,500 of a family plan and $10,200 for individual coverage is exempt from the tax. Higher levels are set for plans covering retirees and people in high risk professions."

            So if you individual plan is worth $15k, $4,800 will be taxed. I would not be surprised to see that change in the next eight years.

            One part that looks interesting is in 2015 the insurance companies will begin paying a fee based on their market share.

            There are so many moving parts in this package, with elelments rolling out gradually that it's impossible to predict one what we will have eight years from now. Certainly there will be unintended consequences. But I don't see how this will be Armageddon. We need some time to let the red hot political rhetoric simmer down. Once the dust settles and elements start to kick in, then we can have a reasoned discussion about what works and what doesn't work.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

              Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
              I don't recall hearing the corporations complaining about the subsidy they received from the government. Up until then they were funding the whole program themselves with no assistance from the government. Now they are simply back to where they were prior to the passage of Medicare Part D. They had a few good years where they were able to double dip.

              Sorry, but I have absolutely no sympathy for big business. They have plenty of representation at the table. It is the small mom and pop operations that get pinched. When was the last time a small company decided to send its operations overseas?
              I don't feel sorry for anyone but it will affect both the employees and the business. AT&T will make up the billion dollar hit by laying off people and/or renegotiating their union contracts to cut benefits.

              Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

                Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1914020220100319

                Employers will have to report the value of employee health plans on W-2 forms. This added previously untaxed income. will change in 2018. That's eight years of much higher taxes, similar to what McCain wanted to do.
                You can speculate on what cap and trade will or won't do, but I'm sure if businesses have to by energy credits to operate the costs will be shifted to consumers. Us!

                The middle class will be paying for the uninsured through higher taxes. All that campaign talk about the only people who would have higher taxes would be those making over $250,000 was a lie! Bringing the troops home in 18 months, If that happens will cost plenty of lives in the mean time.

                The green jobs, alternative energy, what the heck happened?
                All I am seeing is higher taxes, drilling for oil which is what the republcians wanted and no new jobs. Some F'n change.
                It's almost funny how Obama is now adopting so much of what he dismissed when it was McCain's idea. I believe a lot of it has to do with a freshman Senator playing catch up.

                Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

                  Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  I don't feel sorry for anyone but it will affect both the employees and the business. AT&T will make up the billion dollar hit by laying off people and/or renegotiating their union contracts to cut benefits.

                  Mark
                  Yes, they will have to make changes. But then again, they offered those perks in order to attract the talent. Of course that was before AT&T spun off Bell labs. I doubt they are offering the same retirement package to current employees.

                  I know a lady that retired from AT&T some twenty plus years ago. I may be going out on a limb, but I'll wager that the employee that took her place isn't expecting the same retirement package.

                  Yes, the freshman senator is learning the same lesson every president learns, or should learn, in their first year. Can you imagine the entertainment value of Palin in the oval office come 2013? After five years of carping about how evil Obama is and how broken Washington is, she may very find out it is indeed easier to stand on the outside and criticize than it is to lead.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

                    i for one would love to have thte option of voting "None of the Above"

                    steve
                    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

                      I vote Green Party down the line for local and state elections. I've been forced to vote dem on the national level because of the republican parties refusal to accept the will of the Oregon voters on assisted suicide.

                      We had two votes on the act and both times it easily passed. Gordon Smith, with help from Ashcroft and Orin Hatch, attempted to circumvent the will of the Oregon voters.

                      FTR, I voted no both times. I am not a sore loser and I don't believe this dooms our society. I also respect the will of the majority. A novel concept isn't it?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

                        Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        So an employee of the Republican National Committee gets caught being stupid and you're ready to throw in the towel on all of the Republican elected officials and candidates? Changing to an Independent is one thing but you should do it for the right reason. The RNC fired the guy just like any big organization would do.

                        Mark
                        Well , Mark gave Me something to ponder. I'll Hang with the Pacaderms.
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

                          Tell you wut... I'm stickin' wit the Republikin party. Anytime you hear of sex scandals or bathroom incidents, there's always a Republikin in the middle of it. They're havin' all the fun. Power to the repressed!
                          Last edited by Billy Bob; 04-02-2010, 02:20 PM.
                          Git 'er done!
                          Americun Dream... Got me a fridge, TV and a wife and all three work.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

                            Originally posted by Billy Bob View Post
                            Tell you wut... I'm stickin' wit the Republikin party. Anytime you hear of sex scandals or bathroom incidents, there's always a Republikin in the middle of it. They're havin' all the fun.
                            Ted Kennedy's car, killed more people than My Guns! I can see an Oregonian foaming at the mouth, and bouncing off the walls of His double wide, as I write.
                            Last edited by toolaholic; 04-02-2010, 11:53 AM.
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

                              I did leave the GOP for independent, but it was several years ago. It had more to do with my realization that it didn't matter who was in power. it's all more of the same. For me, political parties are right behind organized religion for the worst things to ever happen to civilization.
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

                                Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                                I did leave the GOP for independent, but it was several years ago. It had more to do with my realization that it didn't matter who was in power. it's all more of the same. For me, political parties are right behind organized religion for the worst things to ever happen to civilization.
                                Great post, and I totally agree. People who put religion and political parties ahead of humanity, in my opinion cause most of the problems we are seeing.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X