Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Leave the GOP FOR INDEPENDENT

While I am disappointed in several decisions made by the dems and Obama, I do not believe it is fair nor reasonable to expect any president to step into the middle of the deepest recession, a banking industry on the verge of collapse (brought on in part by the previous Treasury secretary while still in the private sector), two wars and 750,000 jobs lost each month was the norm.

Pretty tall order for anyone. Even though Reagan had an easier road, he took his share of lumps along the way.

Perhaps when the republican party purges the militant extremists from their ranks and get back to being conservatives rather than religious zealots that go crazy with Uncle Sams credit card, I'll give them a try. Till then it's pretty easy to see who the adults are. We're still diving down, but we've stopped spiraling down, and the angle isn't as steep. Stock market has rebounded nicely and manufacturing actually added 17,000 jobs last month. It's inadequate, but it's encouraging.

We need to adjust our horizons. There are no easy solutions and the time scale for any fixes are longer than we've grown accustomed.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
      While I am disappointed in several decisions made by the dems and Obama, I do not believe it is fair nor reasonable to expect any president to step into the middle of the deepest recession, a banking industry on the verge of collapse (brought on in part by the previous Treasury secretary while still in the private sector), two wars and 750,000 jobs lost each month was the norm.

Pretty tall order for anyone. Even though Reagan had an easier road, he took his share of lumps along the way.

Perhaps when the republican party purges the militant extremists from their ranks and get back to being conservatives rather than religious zealots that go crazy with Uncle Sams credit card, I'll give them a try. Till then it's pretty easy to see who the adults are. We're still diving down, but we've stopped spiraling down, and the angle isn't as steep. Stock market has rebounded nicely and manufacturing actually added 17,000 jobs last month. It's inadequate, but it's encouraging.

We need to adjust our horizons. There are no easy solutions and the time scale for any fixes are longer than we've grown accustomed.
      Spiff, I don't think we need the adjustment, nor do we have to accept more of the same. President Obama made a lot of uplifting, speeches promising jobs, alternative energy and much more. I never expected miracles from President Obama, but he and the democrats had a lot of nerve wasting so much time pushing thier healthcare agenda and ignoring the economy, jobs and energy. You think they are clearly the lesser of two evils, I see them as failing miserably.

The stock market to me and many was a money pit and the fact that it has rebounded will not make up for our losses. That money is gone forever. People who did not lose everything in the market through fraud and greed purpetrated by wallstreet powers, can realize current gains but the damge for most of us is irreversible.

I would be more willing to adjust my expectations, and accept some failures and setbacks if somethings were being done, tried, and not stalled or just talked about.

Spend a few billion on a manufacturing plant, employ a few thousand Americans and build solar panels. Kick start all those green jobs, jumpstart the alternative energy effort.

We need action, we needed action a long time ago. Many states and cities are cutting jobs, services and borrowing money to stay afloat. I think we need to spend our way out of this mess, not foolishly but through real jobs that will reduce our need for foreign oil. We could be putting energy back into the power grid if solar energy was cheap and widely used.

My problem with the current administration is the lack of action.
      I know I won't convince you otherwise, you think it is we who must accept inaction and disappointment. Not me, if there is no "change", no attempts at "change" beyond increasing my taxes to pay for someone else's idea of healthcare reform, I will vote Republican and God Dam the democrats.
      Last edited by Frankiarmz; 04-02-2010, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Frank - There is a lot of inertia and the fact that the repubs will oppose anything Obama says or does doesn't help. He could announce today that he would personally go to ANWAR, club baby seals and start drilling for oil himself and the repubs would find a way to oppose him.

I do agree that he does look like yet another corporatist. But I'm not willing to judge him completely and throw the book at him after fourteen months. Things are turning around. Slowly. Very slowly. But compared to what we were seeing, the sinking has stopped/slowed (depending on perspective). Those without jobs, upside down on their house and so on are likely the most disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          My problem with the current administration is the lack of action.
          Upon getting into office the economy was in free fall and they did take action. The economic stimulus did curb job losses. There are some wonderful graphs out there showing job losses. The last year of the former administration job losses were increasing each month. With the new administration job losses decreased each month. Finally last month we saw job gains something we haven't seen for nearly two years.

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
            Upon getting into office the economy was in free fall and they did take action. The economic stimulus did curb job losses. There are some wonderful graphs out there showing job losses. The last year of the former administration job losses were increasing each month. With the new administration job losses decreased each month. Finally last month we saw job gains something we haven't seen for nearly two years.
            I heard some of those job increases were attributed to the Census?
            Unless there is accurate reporting and not "projected" figures, I don't believe any of this anymore.

Where are these new jobs and growth? What jobs came back from mexico and abroad? By what means will our unemployment turn around? I don't believe the stimulus did much of anything to create jobs, just wasted our tax dollars and forestalled the inevitable. We need to produce most of what we consume, we need fair trade or laws to burden those selling here from outside. Other countries protect their economies by such methods and when we talk of doing the same we get threatened. We don't need graphs to feel good, we need honesty and something to believe in for a change.

Comment

Unless there is accurate reporting and not "projected" figures, I don't believe any of this anymore.

Where are these new jobs and growth? What jobs came back from mexico and abroad? By what means will our unemployment turn around? I don't believe the stimulus did much of anything to create jobs, just wasted our tax dollars and forestalled the inevitable. We need to produce most of what we consume, we need fair trade or laws to burden those selling here from outside. Other countries protect their economies by such methods and when we talk of doing the same we get threatened. We don't need graphs to feel good, we need honesty and something to believe in for a change.
              Pre-stimulus many economists had already predicted things would start to get better in 2010 so I am not sure how much stimulus had to do with it. On of the problems I have with the stimulus is that words have meanings. We were told the stimulus would create jobs. Then we were told the stimulus would save jobs. Now we are being told it would have been much worse had we not had the stimulus. Now with the reports out of how much each job created cost, I doubt many feel it was worth it or believe the reported saved jobs number.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Pre-stimulus many economists had already predicted things would start to get better in 2010 so I am not sure how much stimulus had to do with it. On of the problems I have with the stimulus is that words have meanings. We were told the stimulus would create jobs. Then we were told the stimulus would save jobs. Now we are being told it would have been much worse had we not had the stimulus. Now with the reports out of how much each job created cost, I doubt many feel it was worth it or believe the reported saved jobs number.

Mark
                Mark, everytime I hear an economist predict an upturn in jobs, or return to better times, I have to ask "How"? Where the heck are all these non-goverment paid for jobs coming from? Is there some major industry about to break onto the horizon and employ millions of Americans? Anyone care to comment?

Comment

Mark, everytime I hear an economist predict an upturn in jobs, or return to better times, I have to ask "How"? Where the heck are all these non-goverment paid for jobs coming from? Is there some major industry about to break onto the horizon and employ millions of Americans? Anyone care to comment?
                  What the economists are looking at are existing companies hiring as well as new ventures. Sadly it seems as though the largest employer in the country (US Government) is the one growing the fastest. A recent report by Partnership for Public Service has the Government employee rolls growing by almost 200,000 over the next two years. It would be different if they actually made money for us but they don't.

Mark

Comment

Yes some of those jobs are related to the census. Even without those jobs it was an increase of over 100,000 jobs in the private sector.

Comment

162,000 nonfarm payroll jobs were created last month. Of those jobs, 48,000 were census workers with the remaining 114,000 jobs being created in the private sector.

Of note, 17,000 jobs were created in the manufacturing sector. This is a five year high.

It may have been job losses would level out in 2010. And now these prognosticators look like they knew what they were talking about.

As for where we are going from here a couple of economic analysts I saw on The News Hour do not expect to see a much downward movement in the unemployment figure for the next six to eight months.

If the economy were fine, this would be an average figure. Given were we were not all that long ago, I'll take whatever good news we can get.

The US economy is a mighty big thing and shifting momentum, especially during a free fall, is a challenge. Throw a couple of wars on top of it and one is tasked with near impossible odds.

Thankfully our elected officials have used some of our suggestions.

Comment

And spiffpeters about when did the 750,000 job lost per month start?
                        Who was picking up momentum at the same time?
                        And who started making statements like " I want to spread the wealth around"?
                        And if you make $250,000 a year you are rich and your taxes are going up?

Comment

I see your point. The peak was 750,000 lost jobs in February of 2009. Clearly that was Obama's fault. Don't forget the ten days prior to February he also lost jobs. We were hemorrhaging jobs throughout 2008, each month the figure getting larger.

How many jobs did the all those unpaid tax cuts create back in the 0's?

Comment

Originally posted by spiffpeters View Post
                            i see your point. The peak was 750,000 lost jobs in february of 2009. Clearly that was obama's fault. Don't forget the ten days prior to february he also lost jobs. We were hemorrhaging jobs throughout 2008, each month the figure getting larger.

How many jobs did the all those unpaid tax cuts create back in the 0's?

Comment

So what is Peters reply to Marks answer ? Good job Mark ! Unpaid tax cuts wtf
                              oh yea you want all our money right Peters ? Or am I wrong no you want to tell us what to do with it . Hey Mark I almost forgot this is "Recovery summer" right ?

Comment

I hate Obama, and everything he stands for.

Comment

Working...
                                X