Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forget the mainstream media The Onion are the ones offering good ideas

http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-...asteful,17171/

Even just the space the Senate currently occupies could be put to better use," consumer advocate Michael Dodgerson said. "Were the government to open a day-care center, a homeless shelter, or even an affordable restaurant in that building, it would make more of a difference in the lives of everyday Americans than what's there now.

Anytime I walk see a TV playing the news I think of this video now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U4Ha9HQvMo

Re: Forget the mainstream media The Onion are the ones offering good ideas

Don't forget The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. All three are birds of a feather.

Corporate news is simply polluted. Well, one in particular has a editorial perspective that is simply toxic. The rest do a relatively poor job of providing depth to any story. Just a highlight tour of the event is about all can expect.

Stewart and Colbert actually ask the questions you would expect real life reporters to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
      Stewart and Colbert actually ask the questions you would expect real life reporters to ask.
      I like Stewart's interviews much more than Colbert's. Stephen always tries to turn the interview into a "gotcha joke" as if he had a political axe to grind, whereas Jon Stewart actually attempts to get information from the guest (unlike most of the "real" news networks Fox, MSNBC, CNN which are either sucking up or just talking over the person).

Comment

Actually, I think FOX News takes offense at being considered a news outlet.

Comment

So true but yet so funny.
          ================================================== ====
          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Stewart and Colbert actually ask the questions you would expect real life reporters to ask.[/QUOTE]

Even if the premise is incorrect.

Comment

I like John Stewart and Stephen Colbert but find something seriously wrong that they are considered meaningful interviewers. They are comedians, it is sad they've come to be considered good interviewers.

They are willing to ask questions that may offend their guests because access to future people doesn't enter into the equation. No body is going to stop watching the daily show because they don't have meaningful guests. People watch the daily show because the want to watch John Stewart. The guests he has are all volunteers, usually looking to sell their books.

Comment

Indeed. They are not worried about offending their guest. At worst, it's a one time appearance. No biggie, the show goes on.

The MSM on the other hand, has failed to do their job. While they need not be disrespectful and overly aggressive, they need not also be sheep and take whatever answer they are given.

But I also think the TV news audiences appetite for colorful graphics and quick editing exceeds their attention span.

Comment

Nothing can top the mindless distraction of manistream media and we the zombies who watch it, O.J. trial or any one a dozen other wastes of time.

My favorite now is listening to hours of breaking news about winter storms and live reports showing snowflakes falling. Very gripping and informative.
                  Next they will have a fixed camera on a blade of grass we can watch grow.
                  I think there is a big audience that would gladly watch our legislators play solitaire on their laptops while congress is in session. Now that's good tv.
                  Last edited by Frankiarmz; 03-31-2010, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    I think they is a big audience that would gladly watch our legislators play solitaire on their laptops while congress is in session. Now that's good tv.
                    Cspan has been doing that for years and it's some of the least watched television out there. They tend to have the cameras pointed at the speaker stand but when the back ones are rolling you can catch some rousing solitaire games.

I occasionally go searching the archives for sessions that include issues most important to me, I think I'm a rare person in that regard most don't enjoy parliamentary procedures. I mean American ones are no where near as entertaining as Canadian ones or Irish ones.

When youtube comes back up I'll find those. Nothing like a good old fashioned brawl on the floor of parliament.

Comment

Working...
                    X