Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Drywall

Been discussed here frequently.
    Talked to Bill/P-Crack on it briefly in Vegas.He's seen it.

They're talking about 1000's of homes east of the Mississippi at a cost of $100,000 each to remedy.

Why did it get past our testing standards.

WWII pulled economy out of the depression.
    Asbestos,Mold..Ha

Who needs a war when you got a pot of gold like this.
    Knock China's reputation down AND generate jobs.

Re: Chinese Drywall

It got past our testing because it probably wasn't tested. There was such a shortage of drywall after the various hurricanes ($30/sheet, here) that the import process was was probably greased tremendously to get the stuff here. Probably the only tests were quick strength and fire rating tests and beyond that "ship it". I sincerely doubt that any chemical composition tests were done. When the builders were screaming for it, a little "green lube" probably greased the ways.

Comment

If all of this China stuff wasnt as cheap as it is, they would have shut down to the borders to all of this dangerous crap. It all unfortunately comes down to the bottom line. You would think ( ) that even with lead in the paint of childrens toys, that things would be looked into more, and minimum standards would at least be respected (let alone improved and actually followed to begin with).

I will look for a deal just like the next guy. And no, I dont focus on where an item is made, or if its union-made or not, etc. But I do expect that no matter where an item is made, if its being sold in North American markets, that the respective product has to pass some definitive testing to assure that it meets our standards. Things just arent being enforced. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
        If all of this China stuff wasnt as cheap as it is, they would have shut down to the borders to all of this dangerous crap. It all unfortunately comes down to the bottom line. You would think ( ) that even with lead in the paint of childrens toys, that things would be looked into more, and minimum standards would at least be respected (let alone improved and actually followed to begin with).

I will look for a deal just like the next guy. And no, I dont focus on where an item is made, or if its union-made or not, etc. But I do expect that no matter where an item is made, if its being sold in North American markets, that the respective product has to pass some definitive testing to assure that it meets our standards. Things just arent being enforced. Sad.
        I've got something harsh to say. Patriotism in this country is pretty much dead. I know many here will respond to that about how they fought, are fighting, and are proud of this country. I thank you.

You are, however, in the minority. Most do not care. The majority of the population just wants the most for the least in the short term regardless of where it is produced. That has been PROVEN. The new salute is to the dollar/bottom line for everyone.

And noone cares anymore until it affects THEM.

Take health insurance completely away from all public workers, elected, and appointed officials. Then see how the reform goes.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          I've got something harsh to say. Patriotism in this country is pretty much dead. I know many here will respond to that about how they fought, are fighting, and are proud of this country. I thank you.

You are, however, in the minority. Most do not care. The majority of the population just wants the most for the least in the short term regardless of where it is produced. That has been PROVEN. The new salute is to the dollar/bottom line for everyone.

Take health insurance completely away from all public workers, elected, and appointed officials. Then see how the reform goes.

J.C.
          Unfortunately there are a lot of patriots of opportunity, who talk the talk but don't walk it. When it comes to "buy American", that went out the window many years ago. May have taken a while to affect the masses, but slowly most industries have felt the impact of cheap labor and quality foreign made goods. One of the first to get hit was the ILGWU.

Remember their catchy motto, "Shop for the Union label"? Guess if we keep redefining what is patriotic it will make things easier and ease our conscience.

Yeah, everyone remembered to look for the Union label. That's why there's no more clothing made in the USA. Good kick in the butt for all those greedy Union workers. Enjoy your communist clothes made in vietnam, drywall made in china.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHXaE...ext=1&index=47
          Last edited by Frankiarmz; 04-04-2010, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
            Well, dammitall, I wish you were wrong. But you're not.

With respect to buying American, patriotism isn't really the issue. Most of the buying public is simply just not willing to pay for quality or longevity, when they can get an import that will last a few years for 1/2 price or less.

And of course there's the whole issue of buying American to save US jobs. But those of us willing to pay American prices are in such a minority that it is like spitting into the wind. The few of us willing to buy American at twice the price are not enough to keep those plants open.

Under the current rules, that's the game.

But let me ask this. Why is it that the United States, with the best university system in the world, and the highest numbers of scientists and engineers, the largest captive consumer market with the highest disposable income in the world, and the largest (for the time being anyway) economy can't compete with hoardes of marginally skilled, marginally educated workers?

Does this seem right???

I think it's because we're playing the wrong game. We're playing their game.

What if the US incentivized industry to rebuild, with totally automated factories? What if we brought computer design to a completely different level, so that the integration with the shop floor was seamless and totally flexible? What if you could order a product, any product, as a one-of-a-kind with the exact options you wanted and it was produced, via robotic workers, overnight in a lights-out factory with digitally accuracy and delivered to the customer, anywhere in the world?

What if the currently disastrous "service economy" employed Americans to design, build, and maintain these automated factories, constantly revising them to improve speed, accuracy and flexibility? Developing automated systems to be ever faster and more accurate? Do you think Americans would quit flipping burgers and go for those jobs?

And, do you think that any other country could compete with us if that was the game?

My thinking is that we clearly can't compete with a billion Chinese workers under a totalitarian regime that work for $1 per hour. So in this scenario, I've tried to take cheap labor out of the equation, and replace it with what we are the leaders in that they aren't so good at. What we are good at is innovation, automation, and creativity and technology. This redefines the rules of the game... now the tables would be turned - China couldn't compete with the U.S. in that game.

A pipe dream? Yes, I fear it is. But it doesn't have to be. This is similar to what Japan and some of the Europeans are thinking it will take to gain an advantage over China. Well, they aren't really thinking 'advantage'.... they are thinking 'survival'. The Japanese in particular are the world leader in robotics... not a coincidence. You have to take cheap labor out of the equation to compete with China.

But consider that for the near term at least, the United States has the economic power to make this happen on a scale that the Japanese could only dream about. It would require a massive change in the tax structure, some government subsidies, and we would have to incubate and protect companies making these investments. That means tariffs, and that in turn means that the cheap Chinese stuff will not be so cheap. But in the end American stuff will be cheap and it will be good. We will have created a new economy based on technology. And while it was happening we would be employed again. In good jobs, real jobs. No stimulus packages, no unemployment checks, no flipping burgers.

The problem is that the American public and the American government can't generally see past an election cycle, and industry can't see past the end of the quarter. Moreover, JC is right, talk is great but when push comes to shove most buy based on price. So there may be no sympathy at all for change that would mean Chinese imports would get expensive and while we rebuild industry in the way I suggest. We don't seem to be willing to buy American, o just pay more for stuff period... and sadly that's not likely to change.

So it will probably never happen.

But it would be great, and our kids would look back at us they way we look at our parents and grandparents that built this country the first time.

Comment

Andy, you had too much for me to quote, but your dreams are a pipe dream. I thought the USA could do what other countries do to protect their economy, set limits and tarrifs on imports. That's another pipe dream. China's cheap labor would be of no benefit if legislation made it unprofitable to bering their goods in our country, same way we can't bring our American rice into other countries.

We won't be building any factories, manned or automated. Our government won't think ahead and prepare for the future. The folks with the good ideas are kept on the sidelines while power and influence control the direction of our country.

We must accept that our future is to be controlled by communist china and the rest of the world. Our wealth is what makes us an attractive market and investment, but every time we purchase foreign goods and foreign oil some of it goes away forever. Only a matter of time until we run out of credit and money. What happens then?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                Andy, you had too much for me to quote, but your dreams are a pipe dream. I thought the USA could do what other countries do to protect their economy, set limits and tarrifs on imports. That's another pipe dream. China's cheap labor would be of no benefit if legislation made it unprofitable to bering their goods in our country, same way we can't bring our American rice into other countries.

We won't be building any factories, manned or automated. Our government won't think ahead and prepare for the future. The folks with the good ideas are kept on the sidelines while power and influence control the direction of our country.

We must accept that our future is to be controlled by communist china and the rest of the world. Our wealth is what makes us an attractive market and investment, but every time we purchase foreign goods and foreign oil some of it goes away forever. Only a matter of time until we run out of credit and money. What happens then?
                Again, as with JC's comments, I wish you were wrong. But I don't think you are.

What this says is that our ethics and values were misplaced. We wasted our time and money building Universities. We and our parents and grandparents wasted our personal fortunes sending our kids to those schools. None of it matters. Our capitalist system has in fact been defeated by the black hats.

If I wasn't a big boy, I would cry.

Still, if someone starts making noise about doing some of this, I'll vote for them.

Comment

One of the biggest offenders to "Buy American" is our Federal Government. The DOD spends millions every year on ship overhauls done overseas; buys uniforms and other such products from companies located in third world and other countries as part of US aid to these places to help raise their standard of living and rebuild their economies following a war or other economic disaster.

Where I live there used to be over a dozen small to medium companies that made military uniforms for all branches and sleeping bags, tents, etc. All that work went overseas years ago and my county with a population of ~120,000 people lost about 6000 jobs, a significant hit. Those companies went under and no new industry came in to take its place, so those people had to get retrained and find something else to do.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Unions only account for 6% of the workforce.

If you have a union job, and you've made a career in your profession/trade...count your blessings because it is the last of the end of workers putting in 30 years and retiring with something at the end of the career.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      One of the biggest offenders to "Buy American" is our Federal Government. The DOD spends millions every year on ship overhauls done overseas; buys uniforms and other such products from companies located in third world and other countries as part of US aid to these places to help raise their standard of living and rebuild their economies following a war or other economic disaster.

Where I live there used to be over a dozen small to medium companies that made military uniforms for all branches and sleeping bags, tents, etc. All that work went overseas years ago and my county with a population of ~120,000 people lost about 6000 jobs, a significant hit. Those companies went under and no new industry came in to take its place, so those people had to get retrained and find something else to do.
                      The "Buy America" act was supposed to fix this years ago but there are (and always were) lots of exceptions and loopholes. Today the DoD is under the same economic pressure everyone else is. But I would love to see the Feds "truly" buy US-made. Sounds like another series of letters to D.C. is warranted.

Comment

The "Buy America" act was supposed to fix this years ago...
                        And yet EADS, in a joint-venture with an American company (Northrop Grumman), almost landed a huge $35B contract to build the next gen AF tanker (KC-X) to replace the aging KC-135s.

Fortunately it didn't happen.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

How about the government putting a ban on the import of all Chinese drywall until the Chinese manufacturers or the Chinese government makes good on all the damage that has been caused? I'm sure the details of how to identify the homes affected and how much to compensate each can be worked out without too many politicians getting rich from it.
                          When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by DSurette View Post
                            How about the government putting a ban on the import of all Chinese drywall until the Chinese manufacturers or the Chinese government makes good on all the damage that has been caused? I'm sure the details of how to identify the homes affected and how much to compensate each can be worked out without too many politicians getting rich from it.
                            You have a lot of confidence in our politicians and system. If we were still a strong manufacturing country, and this problem with china was isolated, I would agree with your reasoning. Unfortunately, we are deeply in debt to china and are in no position to call the shots. Imagine if we made that threat and they turned around and said payup the loans or else.

Imagine if china said you do that and we stop all exports to the USA for a week! Our country would fold like a cheap snack table. We depend on china for too many of our consumer goods. I think we need to slowly return to a country that produces most of what we consume, but that probably won't happen.

I think it's dangerous and disgraceful that we have to accept toxic building materials, and poisionus foods. What happened to us? Is this the end result of capitalism, free trade, democracy? How about we stop bailing out all the crooks and build some factories to employ Americans?

Comment

Working...
                            X