• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit Diesel 453

I have A Detroit Diesel 453 (1980ish)
    The plate reads
    MAX RPM: NL 02550

Am I correct in assuming the NL stands for 'no load'?
    And what if under load, could the 2550 RPM be exceeded safely.

The manual says to engage load at 800 RPM and slowly bring up to WOT.
    But no mention of MAX safe operating RPMs.
    I've been stooping at 2800 RPMs but still have further to go before I reach WOT. I just don't dare to push it further

The engine has built in overspeed protection but what if it's not working?KABOOM! And at what RPM should it work????
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Detroit Diesel 453

Gene, The folks at the link I'm enclosing should be able to answer your questions. My limited knowledge of diesel engines tell me not to push the rpms. Good luck and let us what you discover. Frank
    http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=27343

Comment

most diesels are not built for high rpm, they make up for it in torque.

The 7.3 in my old ford says not to exceed 3000 rpm.

Comment

my JD tractors are 2100 at red line, 1800 at pto speed,

http://www.adieselengine.com/new_page_1.htm
        model HP RPM
        4-53 140 2800
        4-53T 175 2500
        Last edited by BHD; 04-07-2010, 11:40 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Found out that testing the overspeed "should" only run $150 at the dealership. Small price to pay to be on the safe side, so I'll be making that appt. soon.

The problem I'm having is performance of the attachment is not what it should be. I fixed several small problems yesterday. Today I'll change the fuel filters as FIL pointed out that when he ran boats they would sometimes have brownouts even though they where getting proper rpm readings. They'd change filters and everything would return to normal.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
          X