X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Census

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    And yet, who would be the first to eliminate every single one of their strategic and tactical weapons? Sort of a catch 22 ain't it? And because nobody will ever be willing to totally disarm, the whole treaty thing is political hay making and a waste of time.
    That is your opinion.

Comment

That's it, I'm pressing the button:

Comment

I disagree, I think the discussions have been productive.

Comment

Spiff, we've been havi8ng these discussions since the early 50's, and the number of nuclear weapons has steadily increased since then. Talk talk talk.
          sigpic

Comment

Actually, the US stock pile has been declining since 1965. Russia's stock pile has been declining since 1987. Currently they have fewer than us and the trend continues downward.

The total number, world wide was in 1986 when there were 65,056 weapons. The data in the chart I am referencing shows only through 2002, but eight years ago the total number of nuclear weapons in the world was 20,190. We have to go back to 1960 to find a lower number.

So much for your opinion of it just being all talk.

Here's a link to the data.
            Last edited by SpiffPeters; 04-24-2010, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
              *Snip*

Here's a link to the data.
              Implying the Russians haven't been selling stockpiles of nuclear material and equipment since 1991

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                Implying the Russians haven't been selling stockpiles of nuclear material and equipment since 1991
                I am not assuming anything. However it appears you may be willing to make this assumption. There are no hard numbers available on the matter. I'm sure the economic collapse in Russia has resulted in sales of nuclear material.

But NHMaster's claim is the number has continued to grow since the early 50's and clearly this not the case. The number has been in decline for years.

Where the material is or who has it is not germane to NHMasters comment. He claimed that the stockpile continues to grow despite 'talks' to curtail their growth.

Who has this material and how it will be disposed of was not mentioned, therefore I did not address that topic.

Comment

Spiff, even if the chart is accurate there are still almost 21 thousand weapons out there. 21 thousand!

I have serious reservations about believing any of the charts or statistics as to the real number of weapons on either side. I have a dark feeling that all sides have distorted and or just plain lied about the actual numbers since day one. Furthermore, even if the numbers are real does anyone really believe that the world will ever did themselves totally of nuclear weapons? And even if they did, the technology and the materials to manufacture them are still in place. This is why I still say that the whole discussion is nothing more than political hay making. Everyone gets a warm and fuzzy feeling when all the leaders get together and make a pact to rid the world of the nuclear menace, but in reality, they will never reduce the arsenal to zero and even one nuke can ruin your whole day. It's yet another issue that everyone likes to yak about but nobody will ever do what needs to be done.
                  sigpic

Comment

Believe it or not, I respect your opinion. I even agree with parts of it. But an opinion is not fact. You can disagree with the facts I have provided. But explain to me why I should value your opinion over the facts as they are presented? And if opinions are the standard by which we should make decisions, why should I value your opinion over another opinion that may come to a different conclusion?

I have provided a link to my information.

I am not a nuclear arms expert, I know little to nothing about what is involved in maintaining a standing arsenal, how the reporting is conducted and verified, and so on. All I can do is look at the available data.

And the available data shows that by whatever metric has been used since 1945, the US stockpile has been in decline since 1965 and the Russian stockpile in decline since 1987. In 1986 the international sum was at its highest total at 65,056.

Contrary to your opinion, stockpiles have been declining for the past twenty four years.
                    Last edited by SpiffPeters; 04-25-2010, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• Re: Census

Okay guys I have received too many complaints about this thread. I will let it get to 100 posts then I will close it so hurry and try to get the last word.

Thanks-Mark

LOL - That did not work very well, this thread is closed.
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                      X