Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Chinese Junk

Originally posted by TheMaster
    Tough times? I personally dont see it in my life. While all the other fools were spending and borrowing I was stacking cash. Now I'm looking for real estate to buy and its cheap. I'm sorry for the people who are suffering but thats how it goes......the realtors I'm sure use to laugh at me when I would give them a bill while they made thousands with the stroke of a pen and some of their time. Well the coin has flipped. Now I can buy a 4 bedroom 2 bath home that needs painting and new carpet for 45,000 in a descent neighborhood because the bank has to dump it. No one has cash to buy it or qualify for the loan.

Heres a cool way to find a renter. I'm a slick mofo. Find an apartment complex close to your new property. Mail out pics of the house,amount and term of the lease,credit application to everyone in the complex. Works every time.

Yes I would lease it to a Chinese person. I dont discriminate.

I'll be doing 2am infomercials before long......lol

Do rent to buy. You can charge more rent & you keep it for more than a year, so you pay less taxes when you sell it. Working well for me

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      The Duke knew the difference between right and wrong!
      Yeah, he loved Chinese food.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
        Yeah, he loved Chinese food.
        and he knew how to handle the chinese threat.

Comment

and he knew how to handle the chinese threat.
          Psst, Frank, that wasn't real.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
            Psst, Frank, that wasn't real.
            I suppose he wasn't a Green Beret? They even made a movie as proof. Learn your history, John wayne settled the West, defeated the germans and japanese during WWII.

Comment

Not a clip, this is the full movie.

Can Do!
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

It's Movie Night!

J.C.

Comment

QUOTE=TheMaster;352185]Bruce lee would have kicked John Waynes azz. LOL I love John Wayne but Come on man you can mess with Bruce Lee.. I agree however.
                  Bruce Lee was an American citizen, so I doubt he would engage with the Duke. While we're on the subject of great Americans, Superman would destroy Batman. Remember "Truth, Justice, and The American Way"...The Great communist china got nothing like that, unfortunately it does have a lot of American supporters.
                  [/QUOTE]

Comment

Frankiarmz 61 posts
                    TheMaster 47 posts
                    Andy_M 44 posts

I think we may need an intervention soon.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      Frankiarmz 61 posts
                      TheMaster 47 posts
                      Andy_M 44 posts

I think we may need an intervention soon.

Mark
                      Mark, you left out a few more key players. All I can say is, "They Shoot Horses, Don't They" . I'm exhausted and can't dance much longer.

Comment

Mark, you left out a few more key players. All I can say is, "They Shoot Horses, Don't They" . I'm exhausted and can't dance much longer.
                        Yes but the next closest only has 17 posts. I'm trying to keep you healthy and bright eyed.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Not only did we buy this we sent people over there to teach them how to do it. It is not just businesses going overseas, so does the government. 2,000 people for 5 years.
                          Calif. Outsources Bay Bridge Work to Chinese Firm | Story ID: 16543 | Construction Equipment Guide

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                            Not only did we buy this we sent people over there to teach them how to do it. It is not just businesses going overseas, so does the government. 2,000 people for 5 years.
                            Calif. Outsources Bay Bridge Work to Chinese Firm | Story ID: 16543 | Construction Equipment Guide
                            This is just wrong. Anyone who voted for this should be removed from office. A $6+ BILLION
                            contract to a foreign government, and a communist one at that. What were they thinking?
                            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

I don't disagree, but it's been going on for years in one place or another and in one form or another. Back in the 70's when Binghamton, NY was undergoing it's "urban renewal" project, what a joke that turned out to be on the community. Before the "project" there were a couple of pretty nice middle-class neighborhoods, that they completely leveled, making room for better entry into the downtown area.

The existing downtown area was full of 30's and 40's era shops that had survived quit nicely and were doing very good business through the 50's and 60's. The the "urban renewal" project started, got contracted to a firm in Ottawa and another in Montreal. Absolutely no sense of the local town culture and they cut a swath through Binghamton that is still a scar. Great restaurants and bars and retail stores were torn down and replaced with bank buildings and a new government plaza. Most of the stores were paid off and torn down years before the project was even going to be in that area and everybody was complaining, including us who worked and shopped in the central part of the city. Our favorite restaurants were closed as well as a couple of my favorite stores.

The Montreal company used some local contractors, but much of it came from elsewhere, especially Canada. We had, and to some degree still do, a great number of artisans in the city and around the county and state, yet all of the artwork and the sculpture, came from Canada... with absolutely none of it local or even American.

Not sure who was responsible and it certainly could have happened with "Americans", but stuff just was poorly designed and poorly built. Examples:

New Fountain and pedestrian park on top of the new county Sheriff's office; it leaked immediately into the offices below causing considerable damage. It had to be shutdown and never was used.

Major city encinerator, touted as being the answer to the cities future disposal needs. Never worked and sits abandoned for more than four decades now. At less than 40% capacity, the walls started to buckle and the cost of fixing the problem were beyond the original build estimates. Today, the city still uses landfills.

Major pedestrian promanade crossing over from the county plaza to the state plaza.... structural cracks had rendered it unsafe after only a year... it wasn't fixed until the 90's.

And of course, the PCB fire in the state office building made national news. The transformer fire caused PDB fluid to flood into the basement floor and the vent system safety mechanism failed to engage and PCB's were sucked into all ten floors of the building. The building was abandoned for over two decades and only in the 90's was it finally cleaned up and reoccupied, thanks to a federal grant.

The Marine Midland plaza had major safety flaws during the contruction, and several workers were killed when the scaffolding collapsed. The building itself was designed and built using asbestos materials and has now sat abandoned for over two decades.

All three of the major bank office buildings that were built (and that had pushed out viable businesses) are now sitting empty and have been for close to a decade now. And worse, a couple of the blocks that had been torn down in the early 70's for this grand urban renewal plan, still sit empty with no buildings on them whatsoever.

Did the workforce increase during this period, as promised? Absolutely NOT, at least not with local workers. My Dad was in the Plumbers local. He worked on only one building project and spent the last decade and a half of his working life, traveling out of the state to seek union employment. Most of the engineering, a lot of materials, and a major piece of the labor all came from Canada!

On a more recent note, about halfway between Corning and Binghamton, CVS pharmacy built a large distribution center. Did it employ "locals"? No, most of the labor came from out of the state and in fact there was a major "bust" because a large number of the electricians were Mexican "illegals"! Of course CVS denied any knowledge and the contractor said that he tried to use "locals" but none would work. The engineering firm said he put RFQ's to the local contractors but that they all tried to "gouge" the projects.

The situation is certainly NOT right and in many cases it may be downright criminal, but as is often pointed out, the the objective of business is to make as much profit as they can, while the plight of local politicians is supposedly spending as little as one can. We now live in a country where there is conflict between the two, and that certainly seems to be the case for a very long time. Combine that with the ever growing feelings that we don't want any government interferance, wether it be federal, state, or local! Almost everybody feels that we are over-regulated, but when something like this happens, it seems that there "ought to be a law"!

How do we answer these problems?

CWS
                              Last edited by CWSmith; 07-19-2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

We are a nation of laws and when enforced our citizens and economy are better protected. Sure looks as though a lot of things are wrong and out of control. I would like to see some laws passed that would hold folks who are involved with government and even private construction contracts responsible for different aspects of the job. There would be fines and mandatory jail time for things such as hiring illegals, not following plans and not building to proper code. The sort of things that contribute to a safer and proper result. Why can France build a safe nuclear plant but not the USA? Well, I can only imagine if the plans are similar, when gapping cracks appear in concrete and controls don't work as they should the folks responsible can't be held accountable. Laws, inspectors and fines and prosecution would be a good place to start in getting the job done right.

Where do I begin regarding the six billion contract to communist china? Myself and others who find that outrageous, unaccetpable, unAmerican and harmful to our economy are either overreacting, or our legislators just don't see a problem needing to be fixed? I think we are in serious trouble and headed for big problems, it may not be apparent to most folks who are still getting by or doing well but if you do the math our time is running out. We are buying the goods of the world and we make almost nothing we consume or the world buys, government waste and overspending does not seem to be closer to being under control. Form your own conclusions, and if you can put those facts into the problem and get a workable solution let me know, better yet call Washington. Frank

Comment

Working...
                                X