Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chinese Junk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Chinese Junk

    Originally posted by Abbott View Post
    No we don't.
    That's it? That's the best response you can post? Come on, speak up and explain your answer, it's only the Internet.

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Chinese Junk

      No matter what franki, it's too late. You and I, many others are sitting here conversing on computers made by communist china. They are built so little packets of information about you, I and others are shared across the world with many others that can see.


      If you choose to totally eliminate all things made communist china, your house will suddenly take on a new look, as mostly everything, including the toaster will not be in your home.

      You cannot hand pick what you want to keep as comfort items when you're painting how bad communist china is... when we all use it to our advantage.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Chinese Junk

        Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
        No matter what franki, it's too late. You and I, many others are sitting here conversing on computers made by communist china. They are built so little packets of information about you, I and others are shared across the world with many others that can see.


        If you choose to totally eliminate all things made communist china, your house will suddenly take on a new look, as mostly everything, including the toaster will not be in your home.

        You cannot hand pick what you want to keep as comfort items when you're painting how bad communist china is... when we all use it to our advantage.
        If it's too late, then in my opinion we are doomed to fail. Sure I'm using my computer to communicate, along with my cordless phone and cell phone, but that doesn't change the fact that we cannot sustain a failing economy. Think why communist china is bad? Well, they oppose with violent power everything our democracy and personal freedom stands for. I include in my painting of communist china, all the American businesses that turned their backs on us as employees but still accept our consumer dollars. My bottom line is if it doesn't work for America, it's not a good idea even if the stuff is inexpensive up front. Look beyond the moment, what is it costing us long term? I maintain that the repeated purchase of substandard goods, along with the massive loss of tax revenue and American jobs makes the case for making what we consume even though it will cost a lot more. Unless someone can explain how we are going to survive as a society I just don't see any other way.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Chinese Junk

          There is more to our economic woes then just blaming the Chinese.


          A friend of mine just sent me a bunch of pictures showing the communist party marching in Los Angeles on Labor Day and guess what race most of them were (hispanic from across the border) and guess whom was marching arm and arm with them and even holding up communist signs and flags The Service Employees international Union and thier leader Andy Stern whom helped donate almost thirty million dollars to Obamas election campaign and has been to the White house for a visit over fifty times since 2009.
          Personally I enjoy my imported goods (don't forget Japan and Taiwan) and some of them rival in quality anything that I have purchased that was made in the U.S.A. I also don't mind sending my money overseas rather then giving it to illegal aliens or over demanding labor unions. I don't see China as "the ogre of doom". I think China's economy will fail in the future just like every other economy does.

          "It's a mother beautiful bridge and it's going to be there!"

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Chinese Junk

            Originally posted by Abbott View Post
            There is more to our economic woes then just blaming the Chinese.




            Personally I enjoy my imported goods (don't forget Japan and Taiwan) and some of them rival in quality anything that I have purchased that was made in the U.S.A. I also don't mind sending my money overseas rather then giving it to illegal aliens or over demanding labor unions. I don't see China as "the ogre of doom". I think China's economy will fail in the future just like every other economy does.

            "It's a mother beautiful bridge and it's going to be there!"
            Well, at least I know what's going on in your head. We are doomed, I rest my case.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Chinese Junk

              Jesus, Frank if you weren't doomed you wouldn't be happy. Now as to what's going on in my head...I'll check with my cat...yep, just as I thought, we will be chasing chipmunks tomorrow and drinking beer from their sun dried skulls. No China doomsday for us tomorrow!

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Chinese Junk

                Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                Jesus, Frank if you weren't doomed you wouldn't be happy. Now as to what's going on in my head...I'll check with my cat...yep, just as I thought, we will be chasing chipmunks tomorrow and drinking beer from their sun dried skulls. No China doomsday for us tomorrow!
                Well, if you were joking about what you said it was funny, if you were serious then I don't think you really thought things out. As for chipmunks, I used eight "rodent revenge" sulfur bombs two days ago and they just keep digging holes. I already checked with my little dog and he is not worried in the least about doomsday, then again he doesn't worry about much of anything.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Chinese Junk

                  We went to China last year on vacation. To avoid massive duty fees, we came home and bought Chinese souvenirs. I bought a Ridgid 18v combo from HD and my wife bought a Singer sewing machine from Sears. A good time was had by all!

                  I can't wait to get the batteries, charger, and drill back from the service center. It should be any day now as they said 30 weeks.

                  Seriously though, the Chinese are only doing what the U.S. government has allowed, and will continue to allow them to do. It is simply too expensive to manufacture here because American businesses must pay for so much more than a mere "fair wage".

                  Such as...

                  When people take a 99 week ride on unemployment and get a job on week 98 (the same job they could have had on week 4)... That's why your (insert product name here) is made in China.

                  When people stub their toe at work, then get a tax free year long vacation on worker's comp AND a disability rating. That's why your (insert product name here) is made in China.

                  Since 1984 auto companies have been forced by contract to pay laid off union members full pay and benefits... to sit around the union hall and do nothing. That's why your American car is made in Mexico and "assembled" in the USA. Toyotas have more American content than American cars.

                  Congress has dozens of committees to "explore" budgetary problems not to SOLVE them. They solve nothing and simply throw more money at it. That's why your (insert product name here) is made in China.

                  What if you had to give 40-50% of your family's groceries to the government? And then some guy from the Humane society knocks on the door and tells you that "by contract", you must give your dog 20% of the ORIGINAL amount of groceries AND pay him a stipend not to crap on the carpet, AND said non-crappable carpet SHALL ensure a safe and hypoallergenic working area not less than 1 inch deep pile with 2 inch memory foam backing WITH Tempurpedic foam deemed the ONLY acceptable foam backing per the MOU... Could you still feed your family?

                  That's what's happened to American businesses. ...I would just shoot the dog.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Chinese Junk

                    Originally posted by erngum View Post
                    We went to China last year on vacation. To avoid massive duty fees, we came home and bought Chinese souvenirs. I bought a Ridgid 18v combo from HD and my wife bought a Singer sewing machine from Sears. A good time was had by all!

                    I can't wait to get the batteries, charger, and drill back from the service center. It should be any day now as they said 30 weeks.

                    Seriously though, the Chinese are only doing what the U.S. government has allowed, and will continue to allow them to do. It is simply too expensive to manufacture here because American businesses must pay for so much more than a mere "fair wage".

                    Such as...

                    When people take a 99 week ride on unemployment and get a job on week 98 (the same job they could have had on week 4)... That's why your (insert product name here) is made in China.

                    When people stub their toe at work, then get a tax free year long vacation on worker's comp AND a disability rating. That's why your (insert product name here) is made in China.

                    Since 1984 auto companies have been forced by contract to pay laid off union members full pay and benefits... to sit around the union hall and do nothing. That's why your American car is made in Mexico and "assembled" in the USA. Toyotas have more American content than American cars.

                    Congress has dozens of committees to "explore" budgetary problems not to SOLVE them. They solve nothing and simply throw more money at it. That's why your (insert product name here) is made in China.

                    What if you had to give 40-50% of your family's groceries to the government? And then some guy from the Humane society knocks on the door and tells you that "by contract", you must give your dog 20% of the ORIGINAL amount of groceries AND pay him a stipend not to crap on the carpet, AND said non-crappable carpet SHALL ensure a safe and hypoallergenic working area not less than 1 inch deep pile with 2 inch memory foam backing WITH Tempurpedic foam deemed the ONLY acceptable foam backing per the MOU... Could you still feed your family?

                    That's what's happened to American businesses. ...I would just shoot the dog.
                    I am a long time Union supporter, but I would be a blind fool to say contract agreements cannot over step society's ability to make good. I also concede that abuse of "The System" has made a bad situation worse. That said, changes must be made to keep the abuse in check while preserving the spirit of these rights and benefits, furthermore I still refuse to believe any manufacturer would choose to locate in the USA when they can pay slave wages and not be concerned with the EPA and OSHA. You could remove all Unions, benefits and wages above the bare minimum and still not convince manufacturing to return! I believe there must be legislation to force the return, but I agree with your other talking points. I can't imagine our economy survivng the loss of businesses, jobs and tax revenue. The USA is big, but even big things fail, it might just take a while. In my opinion we have been leading up to this failure for at least fifty years. The evolution of capitalism, Unions and labor in general, and government, all had their role in this perfect storm. No one has clean hands here, and all must be willing to give if the America we love is to survive.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Chinese Junk

                      Nah Frank I wasn't kidding except about the beer, I will be drinking that from an iced mug.

                      It seems we always have to have an enemy to be happy in the USA. I remember when I was way more concerned with the AFLCIO Union then the Soviet Union and now China is the boogeyman. I do not think China...is the problem I think that the USA is the problem, our politicians act like idiots most of the time.

                      As far as quality tools go I have yet to find a brand of power tools that I like better then Makita's. I also own and like Hitachi and Ridgids tools. Milwaukee tools IMO is the only American made brand that rivals Makita and they are now being outsourced. Those are the power tools that inhabit my shop and trucks with a good dose of Harbor Freight's hand tools thrown in and I do just fine with them.

                      I believe we see the same problem but look at it differently. I don't see the doom and gloom I see the sun shinning and a beautiful day ahead where I need to finish up some fencing and then take my wife to the show to see Super 8. China can blow me, I'm going to enjoy myself.

                      Have you read what it takes to hang a bulletin board in a Union shop in Minnesota lately? Talk about stupidity!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Chinese Junk

                        Oh, and BTW good morning Frank, I hope you have a great day full of sunshine, family and fun!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Chinese Junk

                          Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                          Oh, and BTW good morning Frank, I hope you have a great day full of sunshine, family and fun!
                          Right back at ya!
                          "The evolution of capitalism, Unions and labor in general, and government, all had their role in this perfect storm. No one has clean hands here, and all must be willing to give if the America we love is to survive."
                          I believe the above and while I do my best to stay happy and healthy, I think we should recognize the problems and discuss them in the hopes that they might get resolved. I don't like the USA helping to make a brutal communist country grow stronger while we lose jobs. My day is full of sunshine, I live in a nice house in a good place and my family are all well. I still see beyond my small life and feel for the folks who worked hard and responsibly at their jobs only to get laid off. The folks who as a result are losing their homes, the folks who have a loved one fighting overseas, or who have lost one. I wish I didn't care about others, or think about how things got so screwed up here, but I do.
                          Stay happy.
                          Last edited by Frankiarmz; 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Chinese Junk

                            there is a show on TV called the "shark tank", ABC, and they have people pitch there business ideas and inventions, and these investors choose to help them or not, and how much they want in return for the help, or cash,

                            most come in with a Passion for the product they have developed, the sharks say simply say it is "ALL ABOUT THE MONEY" they could care less about the product being pitched, it could be a product to cure cancer but if they did not see a way to make a fist full of money with it they would not put a dime in it,

                            and that is where our business culture has come to in many areas,
                            the company is built on the honor and reputation of a individual or family, the owner passes on, and maybe family takes it over or maybe it goes public at some time or is sold and, then it hires a CEO that has no concern for the product but only the money that can be had off of it, it may include buy out and sell offs and lay off and out sourceing but there making money, it may doom the company in the long run but if they can pocket the money on the way out who cares,

                            and as long it is only about the money, the country is doomed,
                            were just a tool by some big shot to suck dry, they do not care about quality only to the extent of keeping some market share, (to keep the gravy train coming in) to improve on the product is not necessary if it is selling, besides that cost money, it is that simple, IMO.

                            and the idea of capitalism is not to blame as there is the same type of scum at the top of every political system, (look at the dictator ships in many of the worlds countries, or even in the socialistic economic systems, there will be that few that use the system, (what ever it is) to basically feed off the classes under them,
                            (do not forget that capitalism is the process that allows you to buy that tool or product, your house, car or go on vacation),

                            when a company forgets about the people and the product, and it becomes only about the money, basically that company will no longer shine either,

                            my two cents on the subject,
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Chinese Junk

                              China is not a bogeyman. And there is nothing wrong with international trade.

                              The problem arises when things become lopsided. Look around your home. Your closet. Your sock drawer. How much "Made in USA" do you have in your home, compared to "Made in China"? And we are IN the USA. The rest of the world has virtually NO goods made in the USA. Up until the early 1970s, the US was the leading exporter. The world craved "Made in USA". But ever since 1971, we have exported less - far less - than we import.

                              It isn't rocket science. If we import more more stuff than we export, then eventually the tank here will run dry of money. Except that the Government and Federal Reserve have a creative solution to that. They simply print more money.

                              The little problem with that is that every dollar they print today devalues the one you earned last year. Because while you can print money out of thin air, you can't create value out of thin air. To create value means that you have to create *something*. In a world of global trade, this means something exportable.

                              The other little problem is that because we run a huge trade deficit and US manufacturing of consumer goods has gone dramatically offshore, the number of good jobs in the US is decreasing. The jobs that are being created are low-paid service sector jobs, that contribute nothing that is exportable.

                              We all gripe about unemployment and how long the economy has been in the crapper. We apparently want these good paying jobs so we can afford to go out and buy more foreign-made products. Insanity.

                              I for one check the country of origin of everything I buy. If it's not made in the USA, then I ask:

                              a) Do I really need this?
                              b) Can I fix or use what I've got?
                              c) Can I make one?
                              d) Can I buy used? Even if the used one is an import, at least more US Dollars are not leaving the Country.

                              I only buy foreign, and especially Chinese, if there is no other option. I am not anti-Chinese. But economics is all about competition. And they are the competition. More US jobs have been lost and will continue to be lost to China than to anywhere else.

                              Sorry guys, and with all due respect... but those of you that defend buying imports... what the heck are you thinking? If all the dollars leave the country and the trend continues to the point where we don't have any industry here, how can that possibly work for me or for you? This is your kids' future, this is the USA's future. There aren't going to be any good jobs in the future, there isn't going to be any Social Security or Medicare in the future, there isn't going to be any mighty military in the future unless the United States gets in the game. We're not even in the stadium at this point.

                              The numbers don't lie. We run a huge trade deficit and have done so for 40 years. The Government borrows or prints 43 cents of every dollar they spend. The dollar's purchasing power is 20% of what it was in 1980, and 3% of what it was in 1913.

                              Buy American. And write to Congress and tell them to get off their dead azzes and create an incentive to bring industry back to the US, while we still have the wherewithal to do so.

                              This is a much more serious threat to the United States than terrorism ever was.
                              Last edited by Andy_M; 06-13-2011, 03:30 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Chinese Junk

                                Originally posted by Andy_M View Post

                                Sorry guys, and with all due respect... but those of you that defend buying imports... what the heck are you thinking?
                                That's an easy one. I am thinking that I am going to live my life and enjoy it. All of this "I only buy American" hasn't much basis in reality. No matter how much outdated thinking and products some of you guys try to purchase and defend it makes exactly no difference at all. It's a great big world out there and it is going to keep turning for our kids and our grand kids no matter how much a few dinosaurs complain about only buying American made.

                                "It's a mother beautiful bridge and it's going to be there".

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X