X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Junk

Most of us who read the title will think of the common chinese boat, but unfortunately there is another more common reference. Most of our goods are made outside of the USA and china is probably the number one supplier to our country. Quality is an important factor wheter it is the contents of edible goods or the structure of a machined part, it matters.

Today, I helped a neighbor who was attempting to replace a chainsaw chain on a homelite electric chainsaw. He had the saw on a bench and the bar was right next to it, but the gear sprocket was missing as was the cover. We found the cover and sprocket close to where he was trimming some small tree limbs. My point is the how the parts just about fell off this brand new tool. We are getting some very poor quality for our money these days and this often requires us to buy the same product several times.

We have had similar discussions on this Forum, and when possible some of us either repair our older machines and tools, or shop EBay hoping to find an older and better made replacement rather than buy the new cheaply made chinese junk.

I hope more folks wake up and realize the damge done by losing our manufacturing capability. We traded good qualtiy for junk in an effort to boost profits through cheap labor and lax manufacturing laws. Just consider the results we have to live with and decide if it was all worth what we thought were savings.

Re: Chinese Junk

Here's just my quick trigger take Frankie. I'm one of the last generation that when I was younger, if you got something from China, Philippines, India etc. it was junk. Pretty much no argument.

Then some of the traditional manufacturers that made high quality items took their methods to the cheap labor. So you could get decent quality from these same places.

Now, I'm starting to see them cut, cut, cut and get back to junkier things.

I'm probably a bad businessman for producing a consumable to the masses because I would want it to last. What I don't understand is when a product has 100 strong "links" in it but 2 extremely weak ones that render it unusable.

Like making the best drill in the world with a trigger that fails in less than 20 years. That's right, I said 20!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Here's just my quick trigger take Frankie. I'm one of the last generation that when I was younger, if you got something from China, Philippines, India etc. it was junk. Pretty much no argument.

Then some of the traditional manufacturers that made high quality items took their methods to the cheap labor. So you could get decent quality from these same places.

Now, I'm starting to see them cut, cut, cut and get back to junkier things.

I'm probably a bad businessman for producing a consumable to the masses because I would want it to last. What I don't understand is when a product has 100 strong "links" in it but 2 extremely weak ones that render it unusable.

Like making the best drill in the world with a trigger that fails in less than 20 years. That's right, I said 20!

J.C.
      J.C., I don't know if it's ignorance or built in obsolescence but we are getting some really poor quality goods. I have lost count of how many tools, car parts and machines I have seen fail due to a plastic gear or other high stress part made from plastic. Anyone with half a brain can clearly tell plastic will fail in many of these applications, so why do they insist on doing it anyway? A $800 dollar chainsaw with flimsy plastic choke and throttle controls? Really will that keep the weight or price down substantially?

We are being force fed a diet of junk and it's gonna make us sick in the wallet. How many of us are no longer shocked to find how poorly some things are made? Sad

Comment

What it's made me do is not trust any brand anymore. I have to closely examine everything I can & then make my decision.

J.C.

Comment

I have even noticed egg rolls are getting smaller and the shell is thinner
          Rod
          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
          http://unclognh.com
          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
            I like to eat cookies and watch "The Biggest Loser".

J.C.

Comment

Just a matter of time. Maybe "Soylent Green" was not that far off the mark? Serioulsy though, my half gallon of icecream is a thing of the past. What used to be a pound of coffe is now 12 oz. We joke about this stuff, but we are getting gyped.

Comment

My wife was mad at me because I complained about the cadbury Easter eggs are smaller. They used to be the size of a real egg.
                She said NO! it's because your getting bigger I tell her NO baby the product weight don't hide the fact products are getting smaller shipped for less and charged more making companies millions in profits.
                Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Just a matter of time. Maybe "Soylent Green" was not that far off the mark? Serioulsy though, my half gallon of icecream is a thing of the past. What used to be a pound of coffe is now 12 oz. We joke about this stuff, but we are getting gyped.
                  Even at BJs. They used to have gallons, until this year they are selling you two 1.5 qt. Last year when they had 1.5qts at the stores, BJs still had gallons. You can only make 2 milkshakes for yourself and 2 kids if you've gotta use 1.5 qt ice cream containers.

Comment

My wife was mad at me because I complained about the cadbury Easter eggs are smaller. They used to be the size of a real egg.
                    She said NO! it's because your getting bigger I tell her NO baby the product weight don't hide the fact products are getting smaller shipped for less and charged more making companies millions in profits.
                    You're right! Remember when some packages had written on them "Attention Contents May Have Settled During Shipping"? Now they say, nothing settled, read the label we just gave you less for the same price! Coffee used to be sold by the pound, not 12oz! Even canned goods are shrinking 18oz become 14oz. Before you know it that pound of bacon will weigh 12oz. That's right, go check your fridge.

Comment

I hate shopping at Walmart when they moved into town they drove out shaw's supermarket. Shaw's had a way better meat, sea food and produce section. Walmarts was lacking. Everyone shopped there Shaw's left
                      Walmart has steadly raised rates. $50.00 bucks gets me coffee, razor blades PB and jelly and maybe coffee creamer it's nuts.
                      Rod

Comment

Frankiarmz,
                        We have 3 John Deere F725 riding mowers with Kawasaki engines in them. 2 of them came with plastic cam gears. we found that out after one quit running. luckily all it did was shuck both the timing gears and not hurt the engine any.
                        and the replacements were back to steel gears due to the failures of the gears. as the 3rd mower was new enough it was past the serial number break that it came with the steel gears.

that is a trend I too would like to see the manufactures realize that people run machines past 1000 hours and to put durable components in them.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                          Even at BJs. They used to have gallons, until this year they are selling you two 1.5 qt. Last year when they had 1.5qts at the stores, BJs still had gallons. You can only make 2 milkshakes for yourself and 2 kids if you've gotta use 1.5 qt ice cream containers.
                          Hey, if I gotta make myself a milkshake it's gonna take 1.5qts Seriously things are shrinking but not the cost. I had a icecream exec write to me that they apologize for the smaller packaging but rather than raise prices they had to make a smaller package. I find myself constantly checking prices, package sizes and figuring out what I can buy and prepare for my family. I do a lot of the cooking.

The problem extends to all sorts of things such as cleaning products and lawn chemicals. Read and compare the amounts needed to be dissolved and get a wake up call. I laugh at the lawn chemicals, slightly cheaper costing products are half the strength! I consider myself an educated consumer and I read labels, but sometimes it's a losing battle. How about power ratings on small engines? They are getting away from Horse Power and give it in KWs?
                          Can they possibly swindle or confuse the public any further?

Comment

I bought a weed eater gas trimmer died first season my yard with house on it is only .11 acre
                            Then I bought an electric weed eater trimmer died with in one season too
                            That's what I get I guess I did not want to buy a more expensive one because may yard is so small.
                            Rod

Comment

I bought a weed eater gas trimmer died first season my yard with house on it is only .11 acre
                              Then I bought an electric weed eater trimmer died with in one season too
                              That's what I get I guess I did not want to buy a more expensive one because may yard is so small.
                              You used common sense and good reasoning but nowadays if you want to save money in the long run you have to condsider overkill and buy industrial strength or professional use products. I bought a $400.00 echo backpack blower 14 years ago and it's still running strong. Yes, your property is not very big that it would warrant an expensive professional machine, but look at where the inexpensive for home use products got you? How many times do we need to buy the same thing until we realize how poorly the cheaper product was made? A word of caution, double check with a landscaper before you buy a pro model because even they are being made like junk these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X