X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• food inc?

how far are you removed from your food? we used to farm all natrual. beef, chicken, pork, fish, eggs, lamb, rabbits, turkies, cheese, milk, bread, etc. we stopped farming in 2003 when poeple decided they would rather buy there cheap government subsudized food instead of the healthy food we were producing.
    i watched food inc last night and i relized that even i have become more comlpacant with my food in the last 7 years.
    i was thinking of restarting our farm up once again. but my wife says no way, i don't want to give up vacations. like we did for so many years......
    Last edited by Jerad; 04-17-2010, 10:56 AM.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Re: food inc?

Yup. An unfortunate experience for me. A chicken in every pot was one of the most cruel campaign promises to come true in the 20th century.

Comment

Another good food industry documentary is King Corn. I have seen netflix have a good line-up of very good documentaries as of late.

Comment

I saw it a while back. Certainly eye opening in some regards. It us yet another example of corporations regulating the government rather then the other way around. Solving the issues with money in politics would solve so many of our countries issues.

Comment

I raise my own beef, and most all of our veggies. Just started putting the garden out the other day, 48 mater plants, 4 rows of sweet corn, 5 hills of cukes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bef2ead41b709b617e398575f007f021.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	10656

Name:	7c5615ca21503e0ee7500fe3d215f708.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	10608

Name:	a556270dc545d8d289e5c5c68c3b738c.jpg
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	10609

Name:	6accd0f4cc4433a1b8819ca64a582afb.jpg
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	10610

Name:	21913e93927dad26a8d610fb18a4f40e.jpg
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	10611

Comment

i just watched King Corn. it's a lot milder then food inc

Comment

I haven't seen that documentary yet, but will have to pay attention to the TV schedules I guess.

I live in NY's southern tier and used to work on farm in my teen years. Lot's of farms back in the 50's and 60's and remember well spending a few weeks every summer in my adolescense on my Grandparents farm in Wellsboro, PA.

Now you drive through the country side or revisit the old places and they're most gone, overgrown, etc. Sad really, but it's very hard and risky work (both physically and financially). Even into the 80's you didn't have far to travel to buy from roadside displays or go to a local "Farmers Market". But that is pretty much gone too. Today, all we can find is the "factory stuff" and they don't tell you where that comes from. It's all priced high and the taste is mostly gone too.

CWS

Comment

it's on netfix.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                  I raise my own beef,
                  how old was that critter? looks like you got a good quantity of meat out it,
                  what do they charge for processing to day at a custom processing plant?
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Almost two, live weight was 1545, dressed at 900. that is 58.25%, not bad at all.

$24 kill bill and 23 cents per pound on live weight to cut, vacuum pack and quick freeze. $379.35 is what it cost me at the slaughter house.

I sold another one for $1.25 a pound live weight, it was 1,480 pounds.

I figure I have less than $3.20 a pound in the meat after all is said an done.

G3
                    Last edited by G3sprinklers; 04-18-2010, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X