Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Folks

Glad to be here!

I am hoping to find some advice, a bit of mentoring and a good amount of real world application.

Some of My background - Returning (attempting to return to pipefitting) after a 20 year hiatus. I was a ship fitter/ pipefitter in US Navy, - when I left service I couldn't land a job in the trades and settled for Retail to "buy my time"
    I am now taking courses on my own dime to get back to pipe fitting ( love ship fitting but it seems very limited here NY)

Anyway got a question or two - hope someone here could help me out w/

I am considering joining the UA local 200 despite not being currently employed - Don't know if they accept persons off the street (even considering VIP program)
    - do not know if that will aid my landing a job
    - not sure how long I could handle the monthly dues while unemployed ( about 6 mos. living on Spam and noodles)
    - unsure if time in service and private coursework will be considered for time in apprenticeship (not very important now)

I have asked the local and still waiting to hear back from them.

I could swing the dues for a while out of my pocket - but if it is not going to help my cause in finding a job - why bother?

Thanks in Advance for any responses.
    Have an outstanding day!
    Last edited by Pat B; 04-21-2010, 08:30 AM.

Re: Hi Folks

welcome pat.

typically the union will honor your time in the service. but are you up to journeyman skill level? if so, no reason why there would be an objection in paying and hiring you.

the union also has a reduced dues fee while unemployed.

best advice is to go pay them a visit and talk to them

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Hi Folks

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      welcome pat.

typically the union will honor your time in the service. but are you up to journeyman skill level? if so, no reason why there would be an objection in paying and hiring you.

the union also has a reduced dues fee while unemployed.

best advice is to go pay them a visit and talk to them

rick.
      Thanks Plumber Rick!

Yes I have been in touch w/ them and still pending some answers
      - unfortunately- my service was cut short 1 1/2 yrs I lost my wife & became the sole guardian of my boy (proud USMC now) - so My time in was rather short. -It's not a huge issue but just worth knowing.

Comment

Working...
      X