Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another Eco Disaster

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
    My wife drives a 98 Dodge Durango. It's got 150,000ish miles. The heater core was replaced once. It took my mechanic all day to do the job. It's on it's way out again and I'm not looking forward to the bill. I doubt if the car will be worth the repair cost. I would probably buy a new car if I could afford it, throwing away an otherwise perfectly good car.
    Just bypass the heater core, take a vacation to san diego and sell the car there :-).

Comment

My wife drives a 98 Dodge Durango. It's got 150,000ish miles. The heater core was replaced once. It took my mechanic all day to do the job. It's on it's way out again and I'm not looking forward to the bill. I doubt if the car will be worth the repair cost. I would probably buy a new car if I could afford it, throwing away an otherwise perfectly good car.
      If you are willing to do without heat, you can bypass the heater core. Use the car for the Summer, and when it gets cold out consider a 12volt electric heater. I know it's a mickey mouse repair, but it would save you a big bill.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
        And just what, exactly, do you want me to do? March right up to the coastline, hold up my right hand in a commanding jesture, and order the waters to halt? For the earth to remain still? For the masses to quit being idiots from time to time? Sorry, but I can't pave the world smooth, so I am going to have to put on some boots. That isn't the first time a tanker crashed, nor for other accidents to happen.
        Its not so funny now is it tailgunner where 5000 gallons is pouring into the Gulf mybe you will give more thought to these issues in future.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
          Its not so funny now is it tailgunner where 5000 gallons is pouring into the Gulf mybe you will give more thought to these issues in future.

Tony
          5,000 barrels per day.

5,000 x 42 gallons = 210,000 gallons per day.

Comment

My son is flying over the slick now, to report the direction and speed of travel. I understand BP is ultimately responsible but why did the government wait so long to offer help? Right now this is about containment not responsibility.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              My son is flying over the slick now, to report the direction and speed of travel. I understand BP is ultimately responsible but why did the government wait so long to offer help? Right now this is about containment not responsibility.

Mark
              BP told the initially told the government they had it under control. It wasn't until we made our own evaluation that we determined it we beyold BP's capability. If BP had been honest with their estimates and capabilities the government would have been involved much earlier. Another example of government trusting corporations to our own detriment.
              Last edited by boytyperanma; 04-30-2010, 11:32 AM.

Comment

I'm not an expert buy I've listened for days as newscasters predicted when it would hit land. Seems those in power need to watch more news.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
                  Piyush doesn't need any stinkin. Fed assistance.

Comment

nature heals itself pretty good, might not be overnight but it will be fine in due time, at least no man or women were killed in this.... how about those coal miners in West Virginia a couple weeks ago? now that's a tragedy...
                    Eric Melvin
                    CF Manufacturing
                    CF Sales

Comment

Originally posted by EricMelvin01 View Post
                      nature heals itself pretty good, might not be overnight but it will be fine in due time, at least no man or women were killed in this.... how about those coal miners in West Virginia a couple weeks ago? now that's a tragedy...
                      I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but people were killed in this.

Comment

Originally posted by EricMelvin01 View Post
                        11 missing presumed dead.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                          5,000 barrels per day.

5,000 x 42 gallons = 210,000 gallons per day.
                          Boy that`s a lot of oil around 800,000 litre per day and yes governments don`t give a dam we had a fire on a rig off the Western Australian last year spewing oil and our government did nothing for around a month and nothing but tit bits were reported on the news till the slick got to large to hide the large oil companies have our governments in their pockets and pay lip service to the public.

Tony

Comment

If I had any say, Id bring in the US Navy along with Brains like Dr. Ballard from W.H.O.I.
                            Can You imagine the debris field around the valve area? I think this is the end of B.P.
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I think we should do all we can to prevent such disasters from occuring but the fact is they are going to happen. All we can do is try harder next time to avoid it. The earth will recover. In the grand scheme of things were only here for a split second. We have the luxury of being comfortable.

All we can do includes NOT bowing to the wishes of big oil all the time. I've heard that in Europe they are required on offshore drilling platforms to have a emergency shutoff valve but it is expensive. The oil companies have so far been able to avoid having their required use put in whatever code or regs they work to, so they save a half million of the valve and we get the 5 billion dollar cleanup bill.

That's the part where we, the average Joe, can do something. Call/Write
                              your representatives and tell them how you feel about the disaster and that you want them to force the oil companies to meet the same ecological and personnel safety requirements they do in other countries. Are you afraid they will raise the price of gas by a penny or two? Crap, they do that now whenever it strikes them, so whats the difference.

I'm not an Eco-nut or whatever you want to call them. But if the oil industry was regulated and watched over as tightly as the nuclear industry is, I think you would have far fewer incidents than you do. How many people have been killed on refineries from explosions. How many platform fires and explosions have there been since March 1979 (the year of the incident at TMI)? You may say, and rightly so, that these are small potatoes compared to a nuclear incident, but when you add them all up their affect on the environment has been hundreds of times worse. And nobody died in the incident at TMI, how many people and animals have been killed, maimed, or otherwise injured from oil company disasters? Can't even begin to count them all.

Nuclear is not the sole answer to our energy problems for sure. And we will be dependent on oil for fuels and lubricants and as a raw material in so many products long after we find a way to fuel all our vehicles by other means. But in the mean time we need to ensure we don't destroy this planet because we were too thoughtless or greedy to care to do the right thing, or take the extra step to ensure we don't destroy the ecology whilst we plunder her riches and put nothing back but garbage in return.
                              Last edited by Bob D.; 05-02-2010, 04:51 AM.
                              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I would rather listen to the steady whine of oil execs complain about regulations than bear witness to the utter devastation of marine life, beaches and local/regional economies.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

I am not a evironut. However, after 150+ years of taking everything this planet has to offer without any thought of how best to manage the finite supplies (coal, oil, uranium, fresh water) and reduce or eliminate the harmful side effects of CO2, some measures need to put into action.

Some things can not be fixed with money. And as we have seen with the Exxon Valdez, by the time it's all said and done, their out of pocket expenses (in other words accountability) were minimal. Most of the expense was written off as tax deductions, and of course their insurance covered quite a bit too. Meanwhile, families and businesses negatively impacted by the Valdez fought Exxon for twenty years having the original civil suit reward dropped from $5 billion to $507 million by the Supreme court.

The SCOTUS ruling in the Exxon Valdez case strictly limited corporate liability and essentially removed the ability of future oil spill victims to hold corporations accountable to the people and the law.

Link

Fixing the oil spill is the immediate concern. Seeking a legal remedy to the damage done may very well be a life long struggle for many.
                                Last edited by SpiffPeters; 05-02-2010, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X