X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fine Print

I complain about so much of our consumer goods and food now coming from china, but I realize that won't change anytime soon. A buddy of mine refuses to buy any food products from china as if they're poison, so he's always reading labels. Today he paid me a visit and brought me four jars of Polar preserves out of CA, he raved about the delicious taste and pure, simple ingredients. I thanked him and tried a couple, real tasty. Tonight my wife and I went food shopping and I saw the same preserves on sale in my store. I picked up two different flavors and read the labels, sure enough right above the ingredients was written "Product of China". I laughed, went home and ate some of those preserves on toast, then I wrote my buddy an e-mail. He may have a change of heart and refuse to eat anymore of his Polar preserves, but I'm gonna finish mine.

I would prefer to buy food products made in the USA, but I won't rule out anything unless it has been proven unsafe. Maybe I should have my wife try it first, just to be on the safe side?

Re: The Fine Print

Just remember Frankie... especially after reading your wonderful "Pasta" post a few days ago

Marco Polo brought pasta to Italy FROM China! (or so the story goes).

You know, there are so many products that we would all like to buy from here in the U.S. of A. but it seems that none of us ever get asked by any of the manufacturers as to where they should take their business or our jobs. One day you buy something and it's made here and the next thing you know, it comes from China. We very rarely ever get the choice.

CWS

Comment

Food for thought

China is unable to get drywall right.

How are those preserves tasting now

just saying,

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
        Food for thought

China is unable to get drywall right.

How are those preserves tasting now

just saying,

wookie
        They sure screwed up the drywall. I agree that we are taking risks with food imports from china, but they are taking over so much of the market place that it's going to be hard to avoid their edible goods. I think the best we can hope for is greater involvement of our government regarding inspections, and some sort of cooperation from china regarding quality control. If we can't legislate to keep their goods out of the USA, and can't encourage manufacturers to make it here, at least do what we can to insure it's safe.

Comment

Don't forget the poisoned pet food and the toys covered with lead paint.

As reported in the Washington Post in May of 2007:
          Dried apples preserved with a cancer-causing chemical.
          Frozen catfish laden with banned antibiotics.
          Scallops and sardines coated with putrefying bacteria.
          Mushrooms laced with illegal pesticides.

There are countless examples of the USDA failing to do their due diligence on domestic products.

Ten years ago we bought some hamburger from a local chain. Shortly after we consumed it, there was a recall on their hamburger. The USDA had found the meat to be infected with Bovine spongiform encephalopathy. We may, or may not have been infected. No way to know. So we just have to wait and see.

Lovely, isn't it?

America, the only country that allows one to be as greedy as they want to be. No matter the cost to others.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
            Don't forget the poisoned pet food and the toys covered with lead paint.

As reported in the Washington Post in May of 2007:
            Dried apples preserved with a cancer-causing chemical.
            Frozen catfish laden with banned antibiotics.
            Scallops and sardines coated with putrefying bacteria.
            Mushrooms laced with illegal pesticides.

There are countless examples of the USDA failing to do their due diligence on domestic products.

Ten years ago we bought some hamburger from a local chain. Shortly after we consumed it, there was a recall on their hamburger. The USDA had found the meat to be infected with Bovine spongiform encephalopathy. We may, or may not have been infected. No way to know. So we just have to wait and see.

Lovely, isn't it?

America, the only country that allows one to be as greedy as they want to be. No matter the cost to others.
            Spiff, the USDA may be overworked and understaffed, whatever the case is, we deserve a better combination of our inspectors checking these foods and the chinese doing the same at their end. The alternatives are to impose severe penalties, including loss of import rights. We can't stop the influx of foreign (chinese) food products into the USA, so the next best thing in my opinion is to force stricter regulations and quality control. Our problems with food safety are as you pointed out include right here at home. I won't list them but they run the gammit, and fly in the face of government safety laws and rules, and concern for public well being.

Comment

Working...
            X