X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Racist

Big uproar in Arizona recently over a new law, which basically enforces existing laws regarding illegal immigration. I fail to see how it is racist, illegal, or unfair to demand proof of citizenship, if stopped for a traffic infraction and a legal driver's license cannot be produced. Can someone explain to me why it is otherwise? That border state is getting no cooperation from the federal govt and between crime by illegals and financial burden to taxpayers something must be done. I'm all for fines and jail time for folks who employ illegals, but that does not excuse their breaking our laws. Furthermore, I'd like to see how all the activists who are opposing this action by Arizona would do if they tried the same thing with illegals breaking laws in Mexico.

Re: Is It Racist

It's not!

The problem is we have pregnant illegals here that "dropped" kids and the kids are citizens, mom and dad are illegal on welfare etc.

That law on the books was from the civil war and needs to be removed!

We even have illegal business owners who have been here 20+ years.

Let me be clear here...If someone immigrates to this country legally and goes through the process legally as far as I'm concerned they are welcome and not a problem..they came through the front door!

Those that did not are in a word "illegal" period. If they do not respect our laws and come into this country properly how can we expect them to obey our laws when they live here?

I am so sick and tired of pressing one for English!

If a blond haired Swedish grandma comes here illegally and sneaks into this country she is as illegal as those sneaking in from Canada or Mexico!!!!

I applaud our Governor as she has said "enough"!!!!

We need to close the border and eliminate the illegals stressing our system....

Again, You come in the front door follow the rules you are welcome and respected ...you sneak in illegally you are a criminal breaking our basic laws!

You bet I'm angry.....

Finally 70%+ here in AZ are in favor of this even "Hispanics that are legal"

Somebody tell Al sharpton he's the racist and run him out of town on a rail tared and feathered...he is with jessie jackson two of the biggest troublemakers around I know this for a fact as I lived in Chicago!!!!

Cactus Man

Comment

DUDES.......

Its against the constitution to ask ANYONE for "papers"....what is this Russia?

The minute ANYONE in the USA says; "I am a citizen" it is there right to keep walking.....that's what we call FREEDOM.....now if they are breaking a law or something sure, you can ask etc, but there was no reason to mirror the federal government.....by making a law...lets get real.....I bet anyone that says; "this isn't racist" is over the age of 60........

So ya , its RACIST...........YOU CAN'T "CARD" ANYONE ...PERIOD....!

This is America............. !
      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
      New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
        DUDES.......

The minute ANYONE in the USA says; "I am a citizen" it is there right to keep walking.....that's what we call FREEDOM.....now if they are breaking a law or something sure, you can ask etc, but there was no reason to mirror the federal government.....by making a law...lets get real.....I bet anyone that says; "this isn't racist" is over the age of 60........

Have you ever been pulled over for a traffic stop?
        If so have you tried that line on the officer?

I think you will find out if there is probable cause (that some law has been violated) they can ask you just about any thing.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

"I fail to see how it is racist, illegal, or unfair to demand proof of citizenship, if stopped for a traffic infraction and a legal driver's license cannot be produced."
          That is what Frankiarmz said. That is not stopping someone on the street and asking for their "papers". That is enforcing the law.
          When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            Have you ever been pulled over for a traffic stop?
            If so have you tried that line on the officer?

I think you will find out if there is probable cause (that some law has been violated) they can ask you just about any thing.
            My dad is a Police officer, but thanks for trying to convince me this is not racist, It is......1000% a racist law.

BTW - It is a racist law and WILL BE over turned......

"quote me" please do so I can pop back in prove myself right when they over turn this.........

OH AND PS:

What does a "traffic stop" have to do with this new law buddy?

What....... was there no "traffic stops" before this racist law?

Come on BRO........
            Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 04-27-2010, 04:55 PM.
            Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
            New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
              It's not!

The problem is we have pregnant illegals here that "dropped" kids and the kids are citizens, mom and dad are illegal on welfare etc.

That law on the books was from the civil war and needs to be removed!

We even have illegal business owners who have been here 20+ years.

Let me be clear here...If someone immigrates to this country legally and goes through the process legally as far as I'm concerned they are welcome and not a problem..they came through the front door!

Those that did not are in a word "illegal" period. If they do not respect our laws and come into this country properly how can we expect them to obey our laws when they live here?

I am so sick and tired of pressing one for English!

If a blond haired Swedish grandma comes here illegally and sneaks into this country she is as illegal as those sneaking in from Canada or Mexico!!!!

I applaud our Governor as she has said "enough"!!!!

We need to close the border and eliminate the illegals stressing our system....

Again, You come in the front door follow the rules you are welcome and respected ...you sneak in illegally you are a criminal breaking our basic laws!

You bet I'm angry.....

Finally 70%+ here in AZ are in favor of this even "Hispanics that are legal"

Somebody tell Al sharpton he's the racist and run him out of town on a rail tared and feathered...he is with jessie jackson two of the biggest troublemakers around I know this for a fact as I lived in Chicago!!!!

Cactus Man
              The law on the books is the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Good luck repealing it.

Is see we have another strict Constitutional Conservative.

Comment

Frankie, I don't know if it's racist or not. To some it sure will be and you can bet the ACLU will be all over this like white on rice. What it seems to be, is a state that finally got fed up with the total lack of help, advice, response or anything at all from the Federal Government, and this goes way back since well before Obama. Even McCain failed to meaningfully address the issue and it will probably be the end to his reign in congress ( as well it should be IMO) This action may well be the wake up call that congress needs to finally begin to address the problem. We can ( and probably will) go round and round on the illegal alien issue but I don't think anyone can ignore the issue anymore. So is it profiling? Sure it is, but then profiling is what police officers do, subconciously we all profile. Profiling is what has kept us alive as a species. The ludricacy if the whole profiling issue is that no matter what anyone says, or may tell you to do, or how politically correct you may be, we all profile.
                sigpic

Comment

DUDES.......

LOL - You may want to actually read the Constitution.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

DUDES.......

Please quote the portion of the Constitution that states you can't ask anyone for "papers".

I'd also like to know what factual information you have that validates your view that once a person reaches the age of 60 their(and that's how you spell it not "there") ability to judge what is and what isn't racist goes away.

You may well be correct on both points it's just that I would like to see some facts backing up your statements.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The first 2 pages of this thread should be fun to read

The next 10 or 15 after that.... not so much

Comment

I have no problem with anyone asking for any of my "papers" or licenses.

Because I'm doing what's legal.

Wonder why some would oppose it?

J.C.

Comment

The issue with the law is it requires police to question and demand papers of anybody they 'suspect' may be an illegal alien.

If the law was along the lines someone was pulled over for a legitimate reason and in the course of that interaction they could be questioned. I would not stand so strongly against it.

This law is racist or at the very least will allow racists to harass legal citizens.

In AZ do the police departments even consider a drivers license proof of citizenship? In MA a drivers license does not count. I'd be required to carry my birth certificate.

With this law say a legal American citizen decides to go for a jog. He puts on his sweat pants that have no pockets. Having no pockets to keep an ID in, he's only going around the block anyhow, no need for it. In America we have no requirement you carry ID. In the course of his jog he crosses path with a police officer. That police officer thinks 'hey that man looks a little brown he could be an illegal immigrant' so he stops the jogging man and demands proof of citizenship. Jogging man having no ID on him would be imprisoned until his proof of citizenship could made available to the police.

This laws encourages racial profiling. This law makes a presumption of guilt until proven innocent. This law discourages those who have been victimized from talking to the police(victims can be required to provide proof of citizenship as well. Yeah imagine you got you wallet stolen and wanted to report it, jail for you until it is found I guess.

For these reasons the law is distinctly un-American. It is also of very questionable constitutionality.

To totally Godwinize this thread. The man who introduced the law is quite literally a Neo-Nazi. Russell Pearce. Here is a few pictures of him.
                          http://www.aztlan.net/rep_pearce_and_friends.jpg_.jpg
                          on the left is him with noted white supremest J.T. Ready and on the right is him attending a Neo-nazi march. I have strong suspicions he introduced the law for racist reasons.

In some ways I'm kind of thankful AZ passed this law. It brings the need for the federal government to get off the buts and do something on this issue back the the forefront. It is an example of the frustration and stupidity that can occur when the government fails to do it's job. Legal citizens will now be forced to live in a self imposed police state, I feel badly for them, it is certainly against my ideals of America.

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
                            The issue with the law is it requires police to question and demand papers of anybody they 'suspect' may be an illegal alien.

If the law was along the lines someone was pulled over for a legitimate reason and in the course of that interaction they could be questioned. I would not stand so strongly against it.

This law is racist or at the very least will allow racists to harass legal citizens.

In AZ do the police departments even consider a drivers license proof of citizenship? In MA a drivers license does not count. I'd be required to carry my birth certificate.

With this law say a legal American citizen decides to go for a jog. He puts on his sweat pants that have no pockets. Having no pockets to keep an ID in, he's only going around the block anyhow, no need for it. In America we have no requirement you carry ID. In the course of his jog he crosses path with a police officer. That police officer thinks 'hey that man looks a little brown he could be an illegal immigrant' so he stops the jogging man and demands proof of citizenship. Jogging man having no ID on him would be imprisoned until his proof of citizenship could made available to the police.

This laws encourages racial profiling. This law makes a presumption of guilt until proven innocent. This law discourages those who have been victimized from talking to the police(victims can be required to provide proof of citizenship as well. Yeah imagine you got you wallet stolen and wanted to report it, jail for you until it is found I guess.

For these reasons the law is distinctly un-American. It is also of very questionable constitutionality.

To totally Godwinize this thread. The man who introduced the law is quite literally a Neo-Nazi. Russell Pearce. Here is a few pictures of him.
                            http://www.aztlan.net/rep_pearce_and_friends.jpg_.jpg
                            on the left is him with noted white supremest J.T. Ready and on the right is him attending a Neo-nazi march. I have strong suspicions he introduced the law for racist reasons.

In some ways I'm kind of thankful AZ passed this law. It brings the need for the federal government to get off the buts and do something on this issue back the the forefront. It is an example of the frustration and stupidity that can occur when the government fails to do it's job. Legal citizens will now be forced to live in a self imposed police state, I feel badly for them, it is certainly against my ideals of America.
                            Law enforcement always must make the presumption of guilt. They kind of have too. Wouldn't be very effective riding around concentrating their minds and efforts on what everyone is doing "right". They have look for what's being done wrong and make efforts to correct it.

The court system, however, must carry the presumption of innocence.

Good to know some background about who has introduced this proposition and the ulterior motives they may possibly have behind it all.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Well, Up here in Maine in order to renew one's drivers license one must provide the DMV with a your birth certificate ( the original, no copies) your social security card, a copy of either your income taxes or your property taxes and a current utility bill. All this to prove to the state that you are a legal US citizen. Even if you are a 56 year old balding white guy that speaks perfect english. Obtrusive? Sure as hell is, but on the other hand, how does a government handle the problem? Freedome and liberty are not always convieniant in fact, they seldom are. Freedome is not free and never has been. What is that 200 year old quote about the cost of, and eternal vigilence?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X