Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could be interesting....

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    What the program shows is how people are learning to cash in on higher education with many of these distance degrees. I always thought that in the hiring world that these degrees "held less weight" and in-turn, cost less to achieve them.

Not the case. If it was represented factually, the cost was much more and some degreed individuals were shown to not be qualified for their field of study. So the cycle for them is:

1. Student loans for a more expensive education.

2. Not qualified for the real world position after graduation. So....they can't pay back the loan.

3. The program focused that the majority of the loans were by the government.

So, in short, we're loaning money to people that can't pay it back. In a big picture analysis from myself, I just keep thinking mortgage debacle.

Loaning people money that don't meet the criteria of someone that will be able to pay it back in such large volumes is bad, bad, bad.

And remember, these are strictly for profit, often PUBLICLY TRADED companies shown to have the mentality of sale, sale, sale the student/customer and get them a loan without any worry on the back end because just like many in the mortgage "crisis"....

.....the university is getting their payment on the front end.

J.C.
    JC- what we probably could have summarized at the onset of this post is that...

COLLEGE+QUANTITY (students)= PROFIT

You will notice that QUALITY is missing from the equation.

If someone were to ask me for a good way to become wealthy, I would recommend they start a college. Perhaps start a university franchise? How about McHarvard?
    Last edited by Paul5409; 05-05-2010, 12:57 AM.

Comment

As my kids grew up it was always a question of what college they would attend not whether they would attend. All 6-kids ended up going where they wanted and received the degrees they wanted. Some are using their degrees and some are not but they are all doing what the want.

My two oldest have gone back to continue their education so my daughter will receive her Masters in Library Science in June and my son will receive his Masters in Military Arts and Science later this month.

Heck, I'm even considering going back to finish college now.

Mark
      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-05-2010, 12:59 AM.
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        As my kids grew up it was always a question of what college they would attend not whether they would attend. All 6-kids ended up going where they wanted and received the degrees they wanted. Some are using their degrees and some are not but they are all doing what the want.

My two oldest have gone back to continue their education so my daughter will receive her Masters in Library Science in June and my son will receive his Masters in Military Arts and Science later this month.

Heck, I'm even considering going back to finish college now.

Mark
        Would you be offended if I ask you why college was considered automatic for your children instead of optional? Just looking for perspective- no disrespect intended.

I will be honest with you that I would be very proud if my children attend college but only if it is of their choice in a field they enjoy that requires a degree. I would be disappointed if they accrue thousands of dollars in debt and end up a janitor. Not disappointed in the profession, but the misuse of money that I could have used to better serve them in the form of investments that would give them a substantial nest egg someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul5409 View Post
          cpw- I understand where you are coming from with your POV and your points have sensibility in regards to someone accomplishing their goals through motivation. However, as much as I stand against college being preached as the end-all goal for every child, I would be more than happy to have my taxes utilized for furthering the education (college, trade-school, etc) of those that truly desire it as opposed to the many ways in which my taxes are currently squandered. Once again, I am only in favor of this if said student is actually there of his or her own accord with a passion for a particular field.
          Paul,

I definitely agree with you in that I'm not upset about our tax dollars supporting colleges. I earned all three of my degrees at SUNY Stony Brook, which is one of New York's public universities. I hold these out as a good value in education. At the time I went (2000-2006), tuition was $3400/year and about another $1000 in fees. They've since increased that a lot; with tuition being about $6000, fees being $1600, and they are requiring you purchase health insurance for $1000 if you don't have it otherwise.

From my perspective, I could complete a degree in 4 years for a rough cost of $20,000. That $20,000 investment would significantly increased my earnings power. In reality, I didn't pay for anything when all was said and done, but even if I had; I can assure you that each degree I have has ended up paying for itself. The Ph.D did if nothing else because in the two years between 2004 and 2006 the economy got much better and I was able to get another 30%+ each year.

As much as it sucks, in the world of big corporations, I think the time you get hired has a lot to do with starting salaries; and your raise is generally based on a percentage, so if you stay at one place the starting salary can have lasting effects and not all companies are good about equalizing that across people.

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by Paul5409 View Post
            Would you be offended if I ask you why college was considered automatic for your children instead of optional? Just looking for perspective- no disrespect intended.

I will be honest with you that I would be very proud if my children attend college but only if it is of their choice in a field they enjoy that requires a degree. I would be disappointed if they accrue thousands of dollars in debt and end up a janitor. Not disappointed in the profession, but the misuse of money that I could have used to better serve them in the form of investments that would give them a substantial nest egg someday.

It was always something that was assumed and we never gave much thought to it. My wife and I were married at 18 and never had the chance for college. There was no debt as we paid for most of it except for what we felt would make them responsible.

We ended up with a school teacher, a military helicopter pilot (Major), a commercial helicopter pilot (ex-LEO), a Highway Patrol Officer, a mom/child care director and a Parks and Recs Director. They are all doing what they want.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Is this any different than the "rip off" plumbing and drain cleaning that I read about on this forum? Don't lump all education in the same barrel. Every entity has its bad apples. Oh yes, when you have nothing else to do, look around and see how many jobs have art and art degrees in them. You might be surprised.

Comment

College is a means to an end. From the first day of their formal education, the seed should be planted that the education system is there to serve whatever their interests. Let the education system foster, encourage and steer that student into the courses to help them achieve their goal.

By the time they get to high school, they have a pretty good handle on what they want to pursue and guidance counselors have a easier task. An student engaged in their education is a student that will do well.

Why make them take Home ed when they want to be a engineer?

It is as much a waste of time and money to get a college degree and not use it as it would be to go to a trade school and apprenticeship only to decide on another career track.

Comment

Education is a Great thing that we have. Back in the day when we were run by the Kings and Queens the only people who had the education was the higher ups and the masses where kept in the dark and told they must pay and pay. The only thing that is hurting us today is that we all expect to be making top dollar and doing very little work for that top dollar. My Dad said this once and it still holds true, you can build computers and all the techno gizmos you want but you can not replace a wheel burrow and a shovel.

I would like to add a link in which Mike Rowe from a television show called Dirty Jobs makes a reference to what we really need in the world today. The message he delivers is in approx. the last 5 mins of his speech, but it is the Best thing in our industry which needs to be heard by all.

http://www.oneweekjob.com/2009/03/11...d-war-on-work/
                  Last edited by xooma; 05-06-2010, 12:31 PM.
                  Last time I try to fix it myself. Next time I will hire a PROFESSIONAL.

Comment

Working...
                  X