42 yers ago today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 yers ago today

i became a SCUBA diver. my 1st instructor was a, just retired, Navy UDT trainer. we were his 1st civilian class. the 1st words out of his mouth were, as he dropped the US Navy Diving Manuals on his table, "Ladies & Gentleman (3 females in the class) you can die doing this"

we basically had the US Navy diving class. we swam with gear from one side of the pool and back more times than i could count. we swam laps, we listened to lectures, we learned how to breathe underwater, we learned how NOT to panic, we swam more (with & without the gear), we learned how to buddy breathe, how to doff & don your gear, how to navigate in total darkness (put tin foil in the mask to simulate total blackout), how to breathe without a mask. basically we learned how to survive under water.

after 6 weeks of classroom & pool work we took a written test. open book with the Navy Diving Manuals & our notes for reference. passing grade was 90%

after that we had a week tp prep for our "final" pool session. 30 minutes of underwater harassment. you and the instructor alone in the pool. once your head went underwater you could not surface for 30 minutes or you failed. he could do just about anything he wanted and you could not fight back. and anything left in the pool you could reclaim & reuse. if he put it on the pool side you were SOL and went on without it

you have on a mask, snorkel, fins, weight belt, tank & regulator. we were using US Divers Aquamasters. these are the 2 hose rigs you saw on Sea Hunt.

y'all descend, he asked OK? you reply OK and he grabs your fin and pulls it off. you recover and as you are putting it back on he grabs yoyr mask and swims to the surface with it. 29 more minutes underwater with NO mask!

various stunts include turning your air off, grabbing the reg from your mouth and pulling the hose so its under the boof of the tank, removing your weight belt. you get the picture. fun stuff

after 30 minutes of this he stopped you, asked again OK? you responded OK and he shook your hand and motioned thumbs up or "lets surface". you passed

4 qualifying dives later and you were a certified SCUBA diver

i'm glad i took the class i did. it probably saved my life at least twice. i'm glad i never had to teach that way. today is the 1st 5/4 in 42 years i've not been in the water. but it's OK. i'll go diving in a few days or weeks and have a great time. but tonight is just nostalgic

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Re: 42 yers ago today

So ironic you even mention this. I don't know if it's a pipe dream or what. But for whatever reason, last week, I started seriously turning the wheels in my head to get into SCUBA diving.

Funny you mentioned it. Congrats on your anniversary.

J.C.

Comment

3 ways to do something, the right way the wrong way and the military way. thanks for the story that was funny.

Comment

it's nice to know that 21 years ago, i think i had an instructor that trained with yours. what amazes me are these resort certification courses that in a few days you're certified.

we can compare this to what we see coming into the plumbing field nowadays

congrats and plan on diving with you when we have our roundup cruise there next year

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          it's nice to know that 21 years ago, i think i had an instructor that trained with yours. what amazes me are these resort certification courses that in a few days you're certified.

we can compare this to what we see coming into the plumbing field nowadays

congrats and plan on diving with you when we have our roundup cruise there next year

rick.
          100% true. Bring in the 5th graders and the ProPresses!!!

J.C.

Comment

Re: 42 years ago today

SCUBA training today is a lot different from when i learned.

if i had to teach the way i was taught i probably would not have become an instructor

military/commercial diving & recreational diving are two different animals altogether.

a resort class (intro) takes about 1.5 hours + a dive to 40' max. with todays teaching methods it's possible to get certified in as little as 3 days. typically a class will run 4-5 days

Rick, i'll dive with you. just get your but down here. are you nitrox certed? it would be fun to do the F'sted pier for at least 2 hours. we can do that on regular O2 but nitrox is alot safer

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Congrats! The sport has certainly changed in that time, as well as the equipment. As you noted, Sea hunt was the reference for those of us at a certain age.

I took my PADI Basic Diver cert as a college course. I signed up for it every quarter, but only finally got in the winter of '74 as a junior. Classic old tile pool, if you dropped something and chipped the tile, you were out of the program. The hardest indoor parts for me were treading water with weightbelt, and that first breath with the tank. I'd been a lifeguard for several years, and snorkeled a bunch, but sitting there on the bottom of the pool with a regulator in my mouth, I just couldn't talk myself into taking that first breath! Too many years of knowing not to suck in water.

Outdoor cert dive was in a sandstone quarry in Lucky, Ohio. Two of us as buddies and the instructor. My buddy ended up being the least prepared and most scared. About 15 feet down, he backed into the side of the quarry and created his own personal landslide, and started to panic. I reached into the mud cloud and pulled him away, and in doing so, I completely relaxed. So his misfortune (he surfaced and left) helped me out. After that, the light harrassment (pulling off mask, fin, regulator yanked) didn't even phase me.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep current, and sold all of my US Divers stuff to a friend several years back. I still have my USD Rocket fins and, by today's standards, huge volume 3-pane wide-view glass mask, and have snorkled in Bermuda and the Bahamas. Lake Erie doesn't quite compare to St. Croix!

My wife and eldest daughter can't swim, and have no real interest in learning. They've done some snorkling with me with float vests. But the youngest daughter is like me, a fish. She swims cometitively, and went snorkling for the first time in Bermuda in fairly heavy waves without bothering her a bit. I think I have a diving buddy.
              Last edited by smorris; 05-05-2010, 07:16 AM.
              Steve
              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                SCUBA training today is a lot different from when i learned.

a resort class (intro) takes about 1.5 hours + a dive to 40' max. with todays teaching methods it's possible to get certified in as little as 3 days. typically a class will run 4-5 days

steve
                I was in Cancun last week. We did about 10 minutes of dockside "classroom", 15 minutes in the pool. Our test was to clear water from mask and recover primary regulator. Then the boat to the dive. @ 35' both dives. 30 mins and 39 minutes.

Ain't waivers grand?

The funny story: On the 2nd dive, one of the gals was having issues with her weight belt. It finally came totally loose and she was holding on for fear of flying to the surface without it. The Dive master came back to help her with her belt, then offered to help w/ her bikini top that had come undone as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
                  I was in Cancun last week. We did about 10 minutes of dockside "classroom", 15 minutes in the pool. Our test was to clear water from mask and recover primary regulator. Then the boat to the dive. @ 35' both dives. 30 mins and 39 minutes.

Ain't waivers grand?

The funny story: On the 2nd dive, one of the gals was having issues with her weight belt. It finally came totally loose and she was holding on for fear of flying to the surface without it. The Dive master came back to help her with her belt, then offered to help w/ her bikini top that had come undone as well.
                  Um....Pics?

Comment

While we did use underwater cameras (disposable), that actual moment wasn't captured. We tried to develop them and only 4 of @ 80 came out, and they were grainy.

It's surprising hard to find anyone that deals with film developing anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X