X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Free, Works Great!

Vinyl is making a comeback. Hold on to that turntable.

I'm stilling 'making do' with my 15 year old 32" Sony CRT. I suppose I'll make the jump in the not to distant future. Probably when the tube dies.

CRT = Cathode Ray Tube

Comment

I once put an old upright Hoover vacuum cleaner on the curb with a sign that said: FREE! TO GOOD HOME

I was so happy when it disappeared 2 hours later Not so happy when the next day I found it back in my driveway in 10 different peices.

Maybe I should have mentioned it needed a belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        Back in the day, I had an 8 track recorder and made my own mix tapes for the car! Now I have a couple magnavox vhs/dvd recorders and I copy vhs tapes and dvds I borrow from the library or red box. I see no reason to buy blue ray, vhs was and still is a good format it just takes up much more storage space than dvds. A shame no one wants a working tv.
        I install a Muntz 4 & 8 track in my first car. I also had a Muntz 4 & 8 track in my bedroom.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I know we've discussed these different formats and technoligies before, but the progression has been interesting. 8track was pretty good for the time, tape about the same width as reel to reel, but recording was tricky. I remember having to time all my tracks to fit the time alloted. Cassettes were much more compact, but unlike 8 track you couldn't just jump to another song. I'm stuck on CD's and have not progressed to MP3 players.

Comment

I actually have a record player with a usb connection that I haven't used yet. I need to as I've got a bunch of old vinyl that I'd like to listen to again.

I love my iPod though. It's so easy to keep so much music with you. I also like being able to create playlists that will match the mood I'm in. Picking a genre or group to listen to is great too. The only time I use the cd player in my pickup is if I forget my iPod at home, which is very, very rare.

I've got a few games on there too. They come in handy when I take the wife shopping and I don't want to go in. Turn on the tunes and play a simple game for a bit.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              I install a Muntz 4 & 8 track in my first car. I also had a Muntz 4 & 8 track in my bedroom.

Mark
              I had a Craig 8-Track. That thing weighed about 10 pounds I think.
              It outlasted three cars. But then when you are in your teens you don't hang on to a car for too long.

But yeah, I know what you mean about giving away stuff that is in good working condition but just a tad on the old side.
              I just donate it to SA or a thrift store or take it to the dump.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
                I haven't a clue what all these new terms mean. I have a Samsung 32" CRT with all kinds of bells and whistles and I haven't a clue what to do with them. I can barely operate the remote.

James
                HD is High Definition, basically all new broadcasts are in HD (ATSC), which is digitally compressed video at a resolution of up to 1900x1080. Standard Definition (NTSC) is roughly 640x480; so HD TV has about 6.7 times as much information as SD.

HDMI is just a style of connector that has audio and video together. The real reason I want it is to drive my TV from a computer without having to use a converter box from VGA (the blue 15-pin connector used for analog computer monitors).

Comment

Working...
                X