X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free, Works Great!

A few years ago my brother inlaw gave us a 26" console tv, it's more than twenty years old but does work just fine. We had it in an apartment we rent in our home, and let the tenant use if for almost five years. He moved and we decided to take it out when we cleaned the place up for the next renter.

I put a sign on the tv and placed it at the end of my driveway, "Free, Works Great". Well, that was three days ago and it's still there. I know flat screens are the rage, but doesn't anyone just really need a nice color tv that works and wouldn't cost a dime?

I told a neighbor that I was going to add a VHS player/recorder to sweeten the deal and he said no one wants them either!

Re: Free, Works Great!

Just put a "FOR SALE $500.00" sign on it. It will disappear soon enough.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Take the sign down, some will take it if they can steal it.
      The Other Rick

Comment

You guys have a good sense of humor. Sure would be funny if someone did think they were stealing it!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          I told a neighbor that I was going to add a VHS player/recorder to sweeten the deal and he said no one wants them either!
          When our DVD/VCR combo breaks, I'm just going to buy a DVD player; no need for VHS anymore. Not going to bother with Bluray since it is just more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
            When our DVD/VCR combo breaks, I'm just going to buy a DVD player; no need for VHS anymore. Not going to bother with Bluray since it is just more expensive.
            You're so cheap.

Huff, huff. Got to pedal faster. My screen is getting dim....

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by DSurette View Post
              Just put a "FOR SALE $500.00" sign on it. It will disappear soon enough.
              Because someone will steal it. if they believe it is worth something. For me, it is often perceived that my hometown has a crime problem. Personally, I have no ploblem with the crime at all. If I have an old TV or monitor, just put it on the tree belt with a "FOR SALE" sign, someone will take it. No more TV, no more problem! Saves me a trip to the dump, and the fee and gasoline in the process!
              Last edited by tailgunner; 05-10-2010, 10:50 PM.

Comment

However, I will admit, when it comes to being forced to work with old, obsolete junk, here is usually the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TMObBJM1AY

Comment

Why don't you just throw an 8 track player in while you are at it Franki?

Comment

Hel. I'll take it! If you'll send it prepaid to Ar.

I haven't made the switch to flat panels. I have two perfectly good CRT behemoths. I guess I'm just not hip and cool.

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
                      Hel. I'll take it! If you'll send it prepaid to Ar.

I haven't made the switch to flat panels. I have two perfectly good CRT behemoths. I guess I'm just not hip and cool.
                      Neither have I though I do want to. Really I want a wide screen with an HDMI input, and don't care about the flatness. Right now I have a 36" HD CRT, but it only has component in, and when viewing HD content the top and bottom is leterboxed. This made sense 5 years ago when I bought it and most content was SD, but now that a substantial portion of our content is HD; having the widescreen aspect ratio would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                        Why don't you just throw an 8 track player in while you are at it Franki?
                        Back in the day, I had an 8 track recorder and made my own mix tapes for the car! Now I have a couple magnavox vhs/dvd recorders and I copy vhs tapes and dvds I borrow from the library or red box. I see no reason to buy blue ray, vhs was and still is a good format it just takes up much more storage space than dvds. A shame no one wants a working tv.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                          Neither have I though I do want to. Really I want a wide screen with an HDMI input, and don't care about the flatness. Right now I have a 36" HD CRT, but it only has component in, and when viewing HD content the top and bottom is leterboxed. This made sense 5 years ago when I bought it and most content was SD, but now that a substantial portion of our content is HD; having the widescreen aspect ratio would be nice.
                          I haven't a clue what all these new terms mean. I have a Samsung 32" CRT with all kinds of bells and whistles and I haven't a clue what to do with them. I can barely operate the remote.

James

Comment

I've got a record player to sweeten the pot. Anyone got a reel to reel player?

I don't have any flat screen tv's either.

By the way what's CRT?
                            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Vinyl is making a comeback. Hold on to that turntable.

I'm stilling 'making do' with my 15 year old 32" Sony CRT. I suppose I'll make the jump in the not to distant future. Probably when the tube dies.

CRT = Cathode Ray Tube

Comment

Working...
                              X