Daily Rituals for the Aging Body

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Rituals for the Aging Body

I am at the point now that my feet, knees and back hurt upon getting out of bed in the morning. All the strain and abuse of years of heavy work and other activities, have caught up with me as I approach my 60's.

I can reduce some of the stiffness and pain, in addition to preventing further damage by daily stretching along with exercise. Gone are the days of just jumping out of bed, reaching a standing positiion and taking the first few steps must be done with care.

I'm a bit annoyed and depressed at having to do these "daily rituals", but the alternative is too painful to ignore. I urge you younger guys to be kind to your bodies, don't get too heavy and make an effort to exercise. Us older guys can benefit from the different stretching routines available on youtube or from a doctor's office, rehab facility or professional trainer.

Re: Daily Rituals for the Aging Body

I do "plumbers yoga". Think I'm kidding? Go into a few crawlspaces every other day. Over the pipe, under the duct, roll, dodge the water.

Then lose all of your religion 'cause you forgot one tool.

J.C.

Comment

I am starting to understand Frankie. I've been recently diagnosed with moderate/borderline severe austioarthritis in my right hip. They don't want to replace the hip yet since I'm "too young". I would think at 42 they'd want you to be active and mobile with a better joint in your body. Now it's tough to work, sit, stand, lay down let alone do any excersize to try to shed a few pounds.

Good luck with your rituals!
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Been trying to walk at least a mile a day in the early am unless a big work day, see my Chiropractor at least once a month. Really working on the nutrition/eating habits, its a tough one. I love healthy food just a pain to get it together. Eliminated sodas, a good thing, don't really miss em. Got a home carbonator so just fizz up the RO water, takes care of the soda urge.

wookie

Comment

I purchased an inversion table a few years back, and it does the trick. Every afternoon I get on it for a few minutes, it stretches the hips, back, and spine and my back aches are now limited to the few very heavy days of lifting or moving stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            I am at the point now that my feet, knees and back hurt upon getting out of bed in the morning. All the strain and abuse of years of heavy work and other activities, have caught up with me as I approach my 60's.

I can reduce some of the stiffness and pain, in addition to preventing further damage by daily stretching along with exercise. Gone are the days of just jumping out of bed, reaching a standing positiion and taking the first few steps must be done with care.

I'm a bit annoyed and depressed at having to do these "daily rituals", but the alternative is too painful to ignore. I urge you younger guys to be kind to your bodies, don't get too heavy and make an effort to exercise. Us older guys can benefit from the different stretching routines available on youtube or from a doctor's office, rehab facility or professional trainer.
            What is this approaching 60 Frank I was under the impression you were older.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
              What is this approaching 60 Frank I was under the impression you were older.

Tony
              I'll be 57 in july, although I feel a heck of a lot older in the morning.

Comment

Some folks swear by glucosamine.

After watching the train wreck that was my fathers health I determined many years ago that the sins of youth are always paid in full plus interest at a point in ones when you can least afford to pay.

So, I am careful with my diet. I do not consume fast food, soda, smoke (one or two cigars per year) or alcohol. I exercise regularly, both cardio and weights and will be going to yoga classes starting next month. My wife and I splurge and get a full body massage each month.

Even though I am ten years your junior, I can appreciate the ravages of time. Cuts, scrapes, bruises and injuries do not heal as quickly as my earlier years.

A couple of years ago I excavated 40 yards of clay soil from my back yard with nothing more than a shovel, pick axe and wheel barrow. It was a fifty yard incline to the front yard and then dump or shovel it into a drop box.

I developed a case of tennis elbow in my left arm that took over a year to get rid of. Now, it doesn't take much to inflame that area so I have to be careful.

Comment

I'll be 57 in july, although I feel a heck of a lot older in the morning.
                  You're two months older than me. I'm mostly OK as far as aches and pains. I have 13 and 22 year old daughters, and they keep me active.

Wanna really feel old? Go to www.unigeezer.com and watch a few of Terry's videos. He's 2-1/2 years younger than us...
                  Steve
                  www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                    You're two months older than me. I'm mostly OK as far as aches and pains. I have 13 and 22 year old daughters, and they keep me active.

Wanna really feel old? Go to www.unigeezer.com and watch a few of Terry's videos. He's 2-1/2 years younger than us...
                    I watched some of the video on this man and I respect and admire what he has been able to accomplish. He has a slim physique and works as a piano tuner. I am curious if he has arthritis in his family(genetic history).

I remember many of my older relatives disabled and complaining about joint pain. I am not excusing my current aches and pains, but heavy work over the years has contributed to at least some of my problems. Maintaining a healthy weight has got to make some of these age related conditions less bothersome. I take plenty of supplements (glucosamine/chondroitin), but if I weighed 170 instead of 215 it would help.

Comment

I already am 57 and it's not getting any better.Of course I have had a few obstacles to overcome. Ten years ago or so I was diagnosed with end-stage kidney failure. Prior to that, I was religiously walking 6-miles a day plus spending an hour a day kayaking on a local lake.

Kidney failure takes away all of your energy and endurance to where a trip to the mail box requires a nap. I suffered with the effects of the disease for 4-years while still trying to exercise when I could. Fortunately, my sister-in-law was a match and she donated her kidney. Within 3-weeks of my transplant I was back to doing 9-miles a day on my treadmill. Within 6-months of my transplant I had a ladder accident which left me in a hospital bed for 6-months.

Over the next 5-years I have had multiple surgeries including a shoulder replacement and a reconstructive knee replacement. Between the steroids and inability to exercise I put on close to 70-pounds. Now I am trying to get back to exercising and it is tough. Everything hurts, pops, clicks or cramps. I have finally given up on my air-rower and it has found a new home. My elliptical trainer is probably next as my knee is not straight so it is painful to use the elliptical trainer. That leaves some dumbbells, Bow flex, treadmill and exercise bike. So far the exercise bike gets a half hour in the morning and again at night. I figure it is not enough but it is a start.

Bottom line, getting old is tough, getting old is tougher when you have complications. However, so far it's beats the alternative.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I watched some of the video on this man and I respect and admire what he has been able to accomplish.
                        Yep, pretty amazing since he just started riding three years ago! Writing back and forth to him prompted me to dig out my Dad's old unicycle that I rode a lot as a kid. Hadn't been on it for probably 40 years.

My agility is still there, but not the stamina. Despite riding a two wheeled bike a lot, this thing requires a complete other set of muscles. I don't ride anything like Terry, but can go up and down the road.

Me last fall.

Steve
                        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I will be 59 at the end of june and have been on disability the

last 6 years from body damage doing plumbing work !

I get by with tylenol #4 and 2 aleve 3 times a day,
                          JERRYMAC
                          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                            Yep, pretty amazing since he just started riding three years ago! Writing back and forth to him prompted me to dig out my Dad's old unicycle that I rode a lot as a kid. Hadn't been on it for probably 40 years.

My agility is still there, but not the stamina. Despite riding a two wheeled bike a lot, this thing requires a complete other set of muscles. I don't ride anything like Terry, but can go up and down the road.

Me last fall.

The stamina will come, very impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
                              I will be 59 at the end of june and have been on disability the

last 6 years from body damage doing plumbing work !

I get by with tylenol #4 and 2 aleve 3 times a day,
                              That's a tough way to live. Looking back, do you think any kind of exercise or conditioning routine would have prevented some of the damage? I ask this because I'm always thinking about the younger guys, can they do the same work and not end up suffering?

Comment

Working...
                              X