X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home depot returns

i had a customer pick up 2 american standard champion toilets the other day for me to put in.

went to get the round front out of their suv and noticed that it was re-taped. their toilet comes in 1 large box with the bowl, tank packaged inside the box, toilet seat and wax and bolts.

i open the main box with the owner and see it's been installed and returned i go to lift the tank box and they never re-taped the bottom of the box, just the top. so as i lift, the bottom opens up and dropped the tank onto the driveway

you can see where the tape from the box was removed and never re-taped. yet the top was still factory sealed.

owner was not upset with me, but with depot. she went back and the manager gave her 20% off. of course they also refunded the price of the broken one.

so the issue is with the person who installed the toilet and then returned it. plus also the return desk for putting it back into inventory. not the first time a used toilet been delivered for me to install.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: home depot returns

I really like the HD return policies. I have a friend who use to be the Delta rep for the West Coast HDs. He would have to accept whatever return they took back. That included a ton of KF with the supplies bent or broken at the base. In addition there were a bunch or really old faucets of every other brand returned as new Delta faucets. He would give me all of the new returned Deltas to salvage for parts.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

A few months back I went to Home Depot to return one item. There was a guy in front of me at the refund/return register. He must have had about 40 or 50 small electrical parts he was returning. And some of them didn't look real clean but the clerk took them all back. I had to wait in line for about 15 minutes while she scanned the barcodes on all of them. I was wondering if they were for a job that never happened or maybe he overestimated the parts he needed. I am not sure if he even had a receipt for all the stuff. They didn't ask any questions.

Comment

I framed in a window AC from HD and when I turned it on no cold air.I returned it and the next week it was for sale again.Same unit but 20 bucks off

Comment

Re: home depot returns NEVER EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER EVER ACCEPT AN OPENED BOX! I won't take one with dented cardboard! I always go to the rear of stacked boxes
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Hey, at least it didn't have a poo in it

I've returned so many things to HD that they have me on a list and need to get the store manager to approve my returns now...... go figgure
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              NEVER EVER ACCEPT AN OPENED BOX! I won't take one with dented cardboard! I always go to the rear of stacked boxes
              I'm a cheap bastard and take a different approach. If the box is anything other then pristine I ask for a discount if they say no, I put it back and grab one of the pristine ones.

Having worked as a HD manager I'm very familiar with this crap. I know dam well it is worth taking a hit on one of those 'damaged' packages then letting it sit on the shelves unsold for who knows how long till it gets broken.

So the choice is sell it at a 10% loss or have it look ugly for months and and up throwing it away at a 100% loss.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Very good thinking, Tool

Comment

Boypert, since you were a HD manager maybe you would know. since HD is just a manufacturers outlet, is store return policy the same for all items in the store or can manufacturers set their own. I ask because a while back I was told that Milwaukee had a different policy on their battery powered drills.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    Boypert, since you were a HD manager maybe you would know. since HD is just a manufacturers outlet, is store return policy the same for all items in the store or can manufacturers set their own. I ask because a while back I was told that Milwaukee had a different policy on their battery powered drills.
                    I'd say someone fed you some bullshit. HD isn't a manufacturers outlet. They own the product. They are a retailer.

In the states I worked in MA and VA, I'd never heard of a different return policy based on vendor. In MA a stores it is required by law to be signage'd at the front of the store. There are no Milwaukee exceptions.

So if you are talking a return ie taking back something you had second thoughts about within 90 days of purchase, no the policy should be the same for everything.

If you are talking after 90 days or a warranty HD can set whatever standards they want. So if you have a tool that breaks or isn't up to par in the first 90 days don't even discuss the warranty issues of it, you simply want to return it because you were not satisfied.

My personal opinion is if a retailer sells a product they should take every reasonable step to help their customers through the warranty process. HD disagrees with that philosophy

Comment

NH, if your talking about purchases in Maine you might want to review the AG web site. http://www.maine.gov/ag/consumer/con...aw_guide.shtml

Buying in NH you can avoid sales tax but buying in Maine and paying the tax also gives you a lot more rights** as a consumer.

For example: The store HAS to accept/repair a defective item regardless of a manufactures policy.

**I assume anyway. I don't know NH laws.
                      Last edited by Gene Bickford; 05-16-2010, 01:25 PM.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
                        I'd say someone fed you some bullshit. HD isn't a manufacturers outlet. They own the product. They are a retailer.

In the states I worked in MA and VA, I'd never heard of a different return policy based on vendor. In MA a stores it is required by law to be signage'd at the front of the store. There are no Milwaukee exceptions.

So if you are talking a return ie taking back something you had second thoughts about within 90 days of purchase, no the policy should be the same for everything.

If you are talking after 90 days or a warranty HD can set whatever standards they want. So if you have a tool that breaks or isn't up to par in the first 90 days don't even discuss the warranty issues of it, you simply want to return it because you were not satisfied.

My personal opinion is if a retailer sells a product they should take every reasonable step to help their customers through the warranty process. HD disagrees with that philosophy
                        I took it back within an hour after I bought it. Both batteries were dead and would not charge. The manager fed me some line about batteries not being covered so I raised holy hell and he gave in anyway.
                        sigpic

Comment

Just a lumber experience today. Culled through about 50 pieces of treated 2x4's and found 3 to be only OK. The rest were off the round with bark or angles on them.

Not good. I left.

J.C.

Comment

For what it's worth the used item return issue exists at other dealers too. Rather than do the right thing, they figure they can just put it out for sale and someone will not want to bother to force the dealer to make things right once they find out what should have been a brand new item simply is a POC used and abused item. The bottom line is that anymore before paying and while at checkout, we have to open everything and inspect it. If the people there give us any *&^^%$ then OPEN FIRE on the *&^%$ thieves.

Think of a restaurant serving you food that some other customer sent back because it wasn't prepared properly. I'm sure at places like *&^%$# diner it happens all the time.

Part 2: If I purchase something and do find it is in fact defective or missing items, I mark the item and the box as such before trying to return it. JUNK from the factory needs to go back to the factory.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Just a lumber experience today. Culled through about 50 pieces of treated 2x4's and found 3 to be only OK. The rest were off the round with bark or angles on them.

Not good. I left.

J.C.
                              Was that lumber at Home Depot? If yes, you're far from being alone in trying to find any usable lumber there. Most needs to be run through a chipper and then burned up.

Comment

Working...
                              X