X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!

At the end of this week, I will be retiring from the Ridge Tool Company (RIDGID)

I've been here almost 30 years, designing various tubing tools, drain cleaning machines, pipe fusion equipment, and pipe threading machines. I started out on the drawing board, then in 1984 moved to 3D CAD. Prior to RIDGID, I was a designer/draftsman at Rockwell International's Power Tool Division. I worked on designs for the tools you most likely used in your high school shop class if they were labeled Delta, Rockwell, or Rockwell/Delta.

I hope I've been able to answer your questions here on the forum, and that you'll use the tools I helped design for decades to come. I’ve really enjoyed meeting some of you at the Roundups and at a couple of previous customer events. And the off-topic discussions have been fun, frustrating, enraging, and entertaining. I’ll still poke my nose in here, but probably not as often. And again, a big thanks to Bill and Mike at Biegel Plumbing for the excellent work on our remodel. I know who to call if I need anything!

So I'm off to watch paint dry. My wife thinks I'll be bored and looking for work by the end of summer. As some of you know, I have a garage full of toys. I have an MGA that needs engine work, a wood shop that's been stuffed against the wall for a few years, a sailboat that hasn't sailed in a lonnngggg time, and a flock of scooters to ride. I belong to a shooting range that I haven't been to for several years, and I want to get back into photography. I don't plan on being bored at all!

The motto here at The Morris Garage (www.morrisgarage.com) has been "If the lights are on and the door is open, then the beer’s free and the talk's cheap." That's an open invitation to any of you travelling through northeast Ohio to stop in and BS for a while. Just drop me a PM and I'll get you directions.

Thanks again to all of you, and good luck in your future endeavors.

Steve Morris
    Senior Product Designer (retired)
    The Ridge Tool Company
    Elyria, Ohio
    www.RIDGID.com
    Steve
    www.MorrisGarage.com

Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish!

How about just one more job or maybe you could free lance. How about an electric staire climber for drum machines. Enjoy the retirement!

Comment

Sounds like you have lots of fun things lined up to enjoy your retirement.
      Have fun, and thanks for sharing

Comment

Congratulation Steve, I am glad to have met you and wish you the best. I guess now you get to compete in the next Ridgid Roundup. Was that the real reason for retirement?

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

steve, who's going to be our in house go to person for all the real technical questions

what's been your proudest moment at ridgid and your biggest accomplishment

what tool are you fondest of

spill the beans

nice to have met you on a few occasions

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            steve, who's going to be our in house go to person for all the real technical questions
            Don't know. I'm not sure how many here in Engineering monitor the forum. Not many ever post here.

what's been your proudest moment at ridgid and your biggest accomplishment
            Getting to meet you, of course! Not necessarily proudest or biggest, but the 535A/M were probably the most complex projects I've ever worked on. The P&S Engineering butt fusion equipment was pretty cool to work on, and challenging, as it was like nothing else I'd done before. And just working here has been pretty special. Y'all already know there are some great people here. I've never regretted coming to Ridge Tool, and I'm sure I'll miss being here.

what tool are you fondest of
            A tough one. Each product was special when it was finished. In threading, you know I've always been partial to the 1210.

nice to have met you on a few occasions

rick.
            Likewise!
            Last edited by smorris; 05-24-2010, 11:05 AM.
            Steve
            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Steve, congrats and thanks for all your years of work. I'm sure you will find your own stride to keep busy and stimulated. Enjoy your retirement. Frank

Comment

congrats on retirement. get that MGA running and keep the top down. looks like you'll have enough to keep tou busy so you won't get bored. again congrats

steve
                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Steve,

Congratulations on a great career, and best wishes for an enjoyable retirement.

Charles

Comment

congratulations, on the retirement, hope you enjoy it, live long and healthy,

I probly have some of those Delta, Delta Rockwell tools as well. you may have worked on as well.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Steve,

Time to dig out and oil up that old typewriter. Practice, practice, practice........75 WPM by Aug. 1st. I think you're gonna find that you will be busier in retirement than when you were 9 to 5ing it.
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                        Steve,

Time to dig out and oil up that old typewriter. Practice, practice, practice........75 WPM by Aug. 1st. I think you're gonna find that you will be busier in retirement than when you were 9 to 5ing it.
                        I sold that typewriter. You saw the photo of my garage. I needed more room!

Thanks everyone!
                        Steve
                        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Now who's gonna' answer all my threading questions?

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32761

Good luck Mr. Morris. Do some things that you want to do with the extra time. Hope you always have a project. Good for the mind and body.

J.C.

Comment

^^ Didn't see that one, and I'm not the die guy. I do know that when we test cut, we thread to the end of the threads on the cutting die. The size you show has the last teeth recessed from the full width of the die stock, so that's where I'd stop.

I do know that each market has their preference as far as length of thread. Japan like them so that only one or less thread shows after assembly, and parts of Europe like several (a lot!) showing.

Besides, you've got the guys doing this for a living here to help with the practical application of this stuff. While we know how it is used, there are always local and regional requirements of preferences. We'll make the tool for you to do what you need. These guys can help figure out what you need.
                            Steve
                            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for your great service and the many contributions to the Ridgid forum.

I have no doubt that once your get into those retirement hours, you'll be wondering how in the world you ever had time for your employment at Ridgid. With your interests, I'm sure you will still not find enough time to do them all justice, but it will certainly be fun trying.

Best wishes to you and your family for a very long, healthy, and happy life with many decades ahead,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                              X