X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Support immigration-not illegal immigration

No harm no foul Gene. I knew what you meant. Just can't see why a couple well placed land mines can't be employed.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      LOL, You guys are too much work.

fic·ti·tious

–adjective
      1. created, taken, or assumed for the sake of concealment; not genuine; false: fictitious names.
      2. of, pertaining to, or consisting of fiction; imaginatively produced or set forth; created by the imagination: a fictitious hero.

Mark
      I thought he might have been "factious", my head hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        No harm no foul Gene. I knew what you meant. Just can't see why a couple well placed land mines can't be employed.
        Invade mexico, wipe out the drug gangs and corruption. Give calderon 30 days to clean up his cess pool or lose his country, mexico becomes a US state. Wonder if he would resort to profiling?

Comment

Thanks Gene,

I'm a bit "OFF" today and should have known that you weren't being word-for-word serious. Probably the "label" just set me to thinking something there was amiss.

This whole issue of "illegals" has gotten many of us a bit riled on both sides of the issue. Just the fact that we have people marching in the streets with Mexican flags in support of open immigration has me wondering where people's "heads" are at. I noticed a sign the other day that someone was carrying that said something in the way of, "Illegal Immigrants are not Criminals" I guess there must be some misunderstanding of Legality and Criminality. "Trespass" is a crime, albeit a minor one in most situations. Trespass in the wrong place, and it can have serious implications.

The United States, as with any country, has it's boundaries. If one crosses those boundaries without invitation or outside of the established legal requirements, than that is trespassing. If one trespasses and then takes what they are not entitled to, than that is theft; and theft is a criminal offense.

As an "illegal", a non-U.S. citizen cannot use medical or social assistance services or send their child to a public school, as it is basically a theft of services that they have not paid for or contributed to.

The sad part of the equation is that there are many "illegals" who have worked hard and have paid into the system, using falsified Social Security ID. While they "pay", they'll never realize the retirement benefits of their investment. The whole issue is just ugly because they managed to enter and stay without meeting the legal requirements or gaining many of the legal benefits of citizenship.

I wish there were easy answers, but there doesn't seem to be any. The quotas and laws governing immigration are there to protect both those who are here legally as well as those who enter illegally and are taken advantage of. In my mind, employer's are equally guilty of this fraud and yet they seem to get away with very little punishment.

We recently had a case here in our area of NY where a large pharmacy chain is building a massive distribution center. After several months of investigation, the electrical contractor was found to be employing a rather sizeable number of "illegal" workers at the job site. These workers were all arrested and I quite imagine deported... but I never saw a follow-up story to really know this. Who knows what happened to thier families or whether they were even here in this country.

The contractor lost his contract, but what isn't known is whether the pharmacy chain had any knowledge of the deal or not. I would suspect that they must have known something about the winning contract conditions. There of course was no mention of either the contractor or the pharmacy chain management being implicated in any illegal activity. So it appears that only the "illegal" workers were punished. But odd, don't you think, is it that none of the management were suspicious of those Hispanic workers who didn't speak English well or perhaps not at all. Certainly the local townsfolk paid attention.

In my mind, the blame and the punishment should go a bit further up the ladder. Furthermore, there are a number of local electrical contractors that were left out of this opportunity for employment.

The sad fact is, that there are people on both sides of the border that need jobs, need to support their families, and need to seek a better life. It's hard to blame a guy who wants to work and is willing to risk his very life to get that work in order to support his family. Unfortunately we don't have a system that allows him to work here and return there. We don't have a system that guarantees equal wages for equal work on either side of the border. We don't have a system that regulates conditions and practices of U.S. employers, if they exercise their factories outside of the U.S. Nor do we conduct our business in a manner that protects both factory and agricultural workers outside our borders. In the past decade we, as a country, have done things that have diminished the incomes of thousands of farm workers in Mexico. To exist they have had to migrate northward, often loosing their lives in the quest.

U.S. manufacturers seem to have little conscious when it comes to the employment of foreign workers, as long as it makes a profit. I know first hand, as I've watched as an employer preferred to hire programmers from India, rather then here... they got them for next to nothing, crowded them into offices where eight of them might occupy a space that only two of us would put up with. No benefits, pay well below ours, and always the risk of being "returned" to India, should management NOT be happy with their output.

Immigration is not an easy thing, and it especially can not be free from regulation and law and the enforcement that is necessary to guarantee against criminal intent on both sides of the border.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Invade mexico, wipe out the drug gangs and corruption. Give calderon 30 days to clean up his cess pool or lose his country, mexico becomes a US state. Wonder if he would resort to profiling?
            My god please tell me you were being both facetious and fictitious. That's all we need is another welfare state to support.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The majority of goods I purchase have a "MADE IN CHINA" label on the package, this I feel is contributing to our faltering economy. I am in need of these goods so I ignore that WARNING label on the package.
              If our American corporations want to save a buck in the manufacturing of their products, why not have them manufactured by cheap labor much closer to home. Help give the illegal migrants a reason to stay south of the border.

No wait, never mind. If we solve the hispanic migration problem with this method, then it will just create a chinese mass migration through our borders and it will be more expensive to ship them back.

Back to the drawing board

Comment

Originally posted by cisco1138 View Post
                The majority of goods I purchase have a "MADE IN CHINA" label on the package, this I feel is contributing to our faltering economy. I am in need of these goods so I ignore that WARNING label on the package.
                If our American corporations want to save a buck in the manufacturing of their products, why not have them manufactured by cheap labor much closer to home. Help give the illegal migrants a reason to stay south of the border.

No wait, never mind. If we solve the hispanic migration problem with this method, then it will just create a chinese mass migration through our borders and it will be more expensive to ship them back.

Back to the drawing board
                Many, many, companies have built their factories in Mexico, then closed the factory that used to produce the goods in the U.S.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Many, many, companies have built their factories in Mexico, then closed the factory that used to produce the goods in the U.S.

J.C.
                  I don't want more American manufacturing to move out, I was thinking of what is currently outsourced to China to come closer to home.

Comment

they'll never realize the retirement benefits of their investments..... wtf you need to pack your shi.. and get out.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.

Yes, and you should see why some of these factories have moved across the border, it isn't just for the cheaper labor. Pollution is rampant, as are poor and often dangerous work conditions in many facitlities, especially in the chemical businesses.

Mexico is very class divided, with a very prominant minority upper class. The middle class has almost disappeared and poor are way below the poverty level. The country is extremely corrupt and has been through most of its history...put money into the right hands and you can pretty much do anything you want without any concerns for investigation or justice.

On another note, under the past administration there was a plan to build a massive 8-lane highway, north across the border, through Texas and Oklahoma... as I recall, it even had a rail system running parallel to it. Does anyone know if that plan has been executed or is still in the planning?

CWS

Comment

Working...
                      X