The korean war

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The korean war

I think it's about to get HOT again ! Maybe We'll end up with a draft again. Any thoughts ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: The korean war

The Korean war has never really ended. I had a very good friend who spent two years on the DMZ as an "indirect fire control coordinator" (he "spotted" for artillery). That was way back in the mid-sixties and things were still rather nasty on the DMZ (De-Militerized Zone) even thirty-some years after the ceasefire.

Much of the problem is that late 1940's politics totally screwed up the Korean penisula, by splitting the country into it's present political boundaries. North Korea boldly attempted to rectify this "separation" when it invaded the south in it's ill-faded attempt at "unification". We then attempted to push everything back to a point where we might "unify" the peninsula, but the "Red Chinese", as they were called at the time, stepped in to honor it's political treaty with the North. Since that time, we've been stalemated at the 38th parallel and the war became a much contested face-off for the last 60 years or so.

Unfortunately, North Korea has maintained it's war footing, while the South has focused on the peace and prosperity of it's own country. The results is while Seoul has become a very large and prosperous metropolis and S. Korea a major trading partner with the rest of the world, the North has simply been building it's military, fortifying it's borders, and politicizing it's people to the strengths of it's "Great Leader", it's army, and the evils that it alone opposes.

From a strategic point of view, Seoul is little more than an indefensible jewel that is well within range of N. Korean artillery. Just north of the city is the DMZ. On the northern side of the DMZ sits an extremely well "dug-in" North Korean army; an army that has the largest artillery inventory in the world.

That artillery is well established in deep caves and hardened bunkers, to the extent that we're not totally sure that even a direct nuclear strike could take them out. But even if that were possible, Nuclear weapons are not an option, as Seoul is much too close and the prevailing weather/wind conditions would sweep any radioactivity into Japan.

While one might hope that a political crisis might cause a rebellion from within, that would be almost impossible at this point... every man, woman, and child has been subjected to such propaganda and training in the last 60-plus years that there is no sense of reality there. They know only that the "Great Leader" protects and provides for them and if it were not for the "Great Leader" they would have succumbed to murder, rape, and pillage that the United States and it's allies have been portrayed by Great Leader's teachings. Such lessons start soon after birth and are so permeated into thier society and culture, that even liberation would not wash away such mindset.

So there you have a situation that is most frightening... should a war break out, thousands of artillery pieces would open up and Seoul would be reduced to "cave" status within a matter of weeks, or even days. While no fortification is completely impregnable, it would take tremendous force and weaponry and time do so.

And while the South Korean army is strong, we ourselves do not have enough troops on the ground, or even readily available to mount such a counter-offensive. It is questionable as to how well we might defend against over a million North Korea soldiers charging southward across the border, especially after several days of such an artillery barrage.

Surely we would put up an adequate defense... but the destruction would be on an unimaginable scale as our retaliation would have to be swift and widespread.

And of course, the "Ace" in all of this is China. How far are they really going to go in backing North Korea, should war break out. Right now, they are the key to the region. They are the ones with the power to push N. Korea to the bargaining table. So far, their efforts appear to be less than strong enough to have any success.

The one thing that you can count on, is that you can't count on N. Korea to do anything logical. They have absolutely nothing to loose, as their lives are about as miserable as any country can be. The leadership has the power and apparently are in a mindset where only "power" matters. If anything, their belligerance is what keeps them in power with their own people... it's them against the world, so to speak.

Let us all hope and pray that negotiation and strick embargo or even blockade works well before the shooting starts,

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 05-27-2010, 11:50 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

We should do the one thing that, for some reason, we find the most difficult to do.............mind our own business.
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

This story just popped up on AOL News:

http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...-like/19491485

Comment

Forget Korea, keep your eye on Mexico. there's your next war.

Good chance the chicoms step in and handle this situation. Last thing China wants is a conflict on their doorstep right now.
          sigpic

Comment

I served with Marines that fought in Korea. They are very tough people. The Younger generation is blowing this off. They have no idea what May come. Talk to some senior Men.
            Mexico presents problems. Nothing like a rush over the 38th parallel would do to the South and the U.S.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

South Korea is still ready for any invasion. All the bridges are mined, tank traps are set on all the major roads, and the southern roads are already set up with airfield markings.

I am confused, tho, by the "diplomacy first and always" foreign policy announced yesterday by the administration, while the Scry of State is talking like a hawk. Hard to believe anything they say, which is really dangerous if our enemies feel the same way and decide to chance it.

I just wonder if this administration will just dis off another ally if push comes to shove. After all, China is on North Korea's side, and they hold most of our debt. Don't want to piss off the sugar daddy, do ya?

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
                South Korea is still ready for any invasion. All the bridges are mined, tank traps are set on all the major roads, and the southern roads are already set up with airfield markings.

I am confused, tho, by the "diplomacy first and always" foreign policy announced yesterday by the administration, while the Scry of State is talking like a hawk. Hard to believe anything they say, which is really dangerous if our enemies feel the same way and decide to chance it.

I just wonder if this administration will just dis off another ally if push comes to shove. After all, China is on North Korea's side, and they hold most of our debt. Don't want to piss off the sugar daddy, do ya?

Go
                I still can't understand who thought it was a good idea to borrow from "communist" china in the first place? That's like sending your kid to the neighborhood pedophile for candy! I'm not buying that global economy garbage either, we should still be making what we consume right here and let the rest of the world solve their own problems.

What exactly is the end game of buying most of our consumer goods from communists? Our American dollars go to them never to return, without jobs and paying for things we can't afford our debt to china increases. If I'm missing the part about how our economy improves as we go bankrupt, please explain.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Our American dollars go to them never to return, without jobs and paying for things we can't afford our debt to china increases.

Franki,

It shouldn't be that hard to comprehend.... China didn't force any of this on us... our companies, good old U.S. of A. industry and retail WENT TO CHINA and practically begged them.

How many Chinese retailers have you noticed in your city? NONE I bet. About the closest thing you will find to an independant Chinese business is your local Chinese buffet. So while you're spending a lot of time "China bashing", what we really need to be doing is bashing the hell out of those manufacturers who took jobs and went to China with them... all in the name of increased profitability.

But before you start bashing those companies, we really need to look once again at Wall Street and the banking and finance business and the government agencies who go all out to fund such ventures.

Bottom line though, is that it is NOT true that, "Our American dollars go to them never to return"... it just doesn't return directly to you and me and people like us. IT DOES RETURN, big time to the top executives in our industries and commercial retail corporations. And it also returns $Billions to those fat cats on Wall Street.

At one time in America, it was enough to have a good business and to make a reasonable profit. It was also good business to employ the local town folks, support the schools, and the state and federal governments. Unfortunately, GREED has taken over... companies no longer are happy with their profit margins, and prefer to sell thier stock on Wall Street, over their products in the free market. In order to do that, there's the "Quarterly Report" and that good ol' "ROI"... which means that you squeeze every possible cent out of your cost that you can. And of course you and I are part of that squeeze. But we are not alone, because these same companies squeeze out their local community support, and taxes at every level of government. My ex-employer, saves over $80 million dollars a year in Federal Taxes, just by maintaining an HQ address in Dublin, Ireland. They've squeeze the local economy to a point where over half of the stores, shops, motels, and even automobile dealers have closed their doors. The tiny village where I live is attempting to layoff everyone of it's four police officers, because the company has squeezed them so bad that the village is on the verge of bankrupsy. The amount of taxes that company pays has been continuelly reduce in the last two decades, and always with the threat that they'll leave. At this point their tax burden is ridiculousely low, yet they occupy over a third of the village. In the mean time, my taxes have gone steadily up and I'm presently facing another 20% hike in the coming year.

So don't blame the Chinese... the culprits are right in our own backyard!

CWS
                  Last edited by CWSmith; 05-28-2010, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X