Canada?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada?

Would you illegally enter Canada if you knew that you could make 10 times you're current wage and there was little to no enforcement in relation to being illegal?

Would you?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Canada?

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Would you illegally enter Canada if you knew that you could make 10 times you're current wage and there was little to no enforcement in relation to being illegal?

Would you?

Thanks.

J.C.
    Actually, when I go into Canada for an extended stay I have to have my passport, sufficient cash (credit cards don't count) and prove I have medical insurance.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Probably NOT... money doesn't mean that much to me, at least from the point of having enough to live modestly.

Besides, I'm so in love with living here in NY State where I have the privilege of paying some of the highest realestate taxes in the country. Now why would I want to go to Canada?

I haven't been to Canada in a number of years... the concern for ID, Passport, etc. isn't really to enter Canada, it's more in hoping that you'll be able to get back to the U.S.

We had a case about ten years ago (before 911) where one of our visiting engineers decided to get married. Man, she was one beautiful young lady, from Singapore. She married another engineer, an American, at one of our other facilities. They went to Niagra Falls for their honeymoon... staying on the Canadian side.

When they tried to return home, she was arrested at the border and confined. Apparently her visa didn't account for any exit and reintry via Canada and her marriage license didn't seem to carry any weight with the border patrol or Immigration service. She was held for about two weeks and then transported to Kennedy International with a U.S. Immigration officer, where she was to be sent back to Singapore. Even with the company clout, we couldn't get her free. Finally at the last moment we were able to get the U.S. and Singapore counsel representatives to work things out so she could be returned to her very anxious husband. Heck of a Honeymoon surprise.

CWS

Comment

Yes, but Hell Yes!!!

Canada, My native land

Comment

Can-a-duh? That's in your-up right?

Comment

I already live in the 14th Canadian province/territory.
            It's called Florida. At the end of the snowbird season
            we like to say that happiness is all the Yankees headed
            north...with a Canadian under each arm.

Comment

I assume the question is intended to relate to the current immigration question. Not totally applicable, though. I for one understand the motive of many illegals that come here to work. They are just trying to survive. For them, it is about food for themselves and their families, not politics and borders. I don't condone illegal activity... but if I was desperate I would place taking care of my family first, period. But I would certainly understand that in so doing, I would be at risk for the consequences under the law.

Your question is not about survival though... 10x a U.S. salary would be about greed. That's still a powerful motivator - for some of us, one year would mean retirement... in style! You state in your premise that there is very little enforcement. I don't know what the consequences of being caught in Canada illegally are, but if they are deportation or some similarly minor problem, then this says that it's not a big deal to the Canadians or their government... if they don't care, someone is willing to pay 10x, and the worst that could happen would be I'm sent back to California, well, there isn't a lot of downside to that, is there?? Is it morally wrong? Yes. I sometimes drive 90 mph, too. It's morally wrong and far more dangerous to others than this would be.

With these near-victimless types of crimes, seems to me that the consequences need to be the deterrent. I don't necessarily blame illegals coming here because they are trying to survive. From their perspective (not that of the legal residents/citizens), crossing a line is exceedingly minor compared to having starving kids. So, I prefer to place responsibility with the governments for having immigration rules but not putting the deterrent (enforcement) in place. Enforcement is what the AZ law is about. I do favor tightly closed borders and a reasonable work visa program that will enable persons who want to be here for legit work reasons to be able to do so in a legal way... this is where Federal law needs to be tweaked.

It is amazing to me that Washington can't seem to handle this. It doesn't seem to be all that insurmoutable of a problem.

Comment

I've been to canada years ago (1976) trust me, 10 times my salary is still not worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  I've been to canada years ago (1976) trust me, 10 times my salary is still not worth it!
                  Then you obviously have not been to Western Canada.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    Then you obviously have not been to Western Canada.

Mark
                    Montreal & Quebec, myself and a couple buddies. We were quiet and respectful but were treated like crap, you could feel the hatred towards Americans. Very bad experience and I for one would not return. My wife has family in Canada, she was born there. Canada was a stopover for folks from her part of Italy before they settled in the USA. Her memories and experiences were very different from mine. I also remember U.S. customs going through our car and luggage as if we were major drug smugglers. Guess it was our age and the times.

I will probably visit if one of her cousins gets married, but they are getting up in age and the odds are getting slim.

Now if you asked me if I would go to St.Croix, I would go there for half my pay. Absolute paradise.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      Montreal & Quebec, myself and a couple buddies. We were quiet and respectful but were treated like crap, you could feel the hatred towards Americans. Very bad experience and I for one would not return. My wife has family in Canada, she was born there. Canada was a stopover for folks from her part of Italy before they settled in the USA. Her memories and experiences were very different from mine. I also remember U.S. customs going through our car and luggage as if we were major drug smugglers. Guess it was our age and the times.

I will probably visit if one of her cousins gets married, but they are getting up in age and the odds are getting slim.

Now if you asked me if I would go to St.Croix, I would go there for half my pay. Absolute paradise.
                      I have a son who spent 2-years in Toronto and has always wanted to go back. Now he will be stationed at Fort Drum in New York so he will be about 30-miles away from Canada.

Mark

Comment

I have a son who spent 2-years in Toronto and has always wanted to go back. Now he will be stationed at Fort Drum in New York so he will be about 30-miles away from Canada.

Mark
                        Hmmm. I never thought much of Toronto. Just a basic eastern city. I would much rather visit NYC, Atlantic City, or many places in New England. The west, as in Vancouver and such, is very nice. Overall, Canada is ok... but I prefer the U.S.

After I made the 10x salary, I'd come back to California to spend my loot.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                          Hmmm. I never thought much of Toronto. Just a basic eastern city. I would much rather visit NYC, Atlantic City, or many places in New England. The west, as in Vancouver and such, is very nice. Overall, Canada is ok... but I prefer the U.S.

After I made the 10x salary, I'd come back to California to spend my loot.
                          I have to agree San Jose is a pretty nice place to be from. I have worked on several projects in both San Jose and Santa Clara. I also have a friend in our MC group that is in Palo Alto who has an annual BBQ.

Mark

Comment

I'd break in ,just for the woman ! Almost married Ann from Burnaby ! Hi love
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I have to agree San Jose is a pretty nice place to be from. I have worked on several projects in both San Jose and Santa Clara. I also have a friend in our MC group that is in Palo Alto who has an annual BBQ.

Mark
                              I actually grew up in San Marino, and went to UCLA. My brothers and sister still live in So CA. I didn't move up to SJ until '83. I like So CA every bit as much as No CA. Just a wonderful state... all of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X