Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bp fix ,to plug oil.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Bp fix ,to plug oil.

    I hate to keep bumping this as I'm sure it doesn't interest alot of folks. But I can't stop watching right now. It looks like they are cutting the top/bent piece on top of the blowout preventer right now.

    Very slow going. And the interesting piece of equipment they're using looks like one of the guide wheels and cutter are wobbling pretty badly. Hope they make it through before something else breaks.

    Link at the top if you want to watch.

    J.C.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Bp fix ,to plug oil.

      Try this.

      http://www.wimp.com/solutionoil/
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

      https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

      ----

      Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

      Comment


      • #18
        A better live feed?

        How about this feed?
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

        https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

        ----

        Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: A better live feed?

          Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          This is the one I've been watching. I linked it above also.

          HAY! Do you know how much I hate getting up hay! The square bales and hand loading & unloading held onto forever around here.

          I'd help get some up if it would help with the oil though.

          J.C.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Bp fix ,to plug oil.

            we use test balls and jet sweats. why can't they make one out of a heavy enough material and expand it.

            can the metal pipe be crimped to a semi closed position?

            a hydraulic jaw can pinch it pretty tight and slow it down.

            do i need to bring them my propress and show them a thing or 2

            rick.
            phoebe it is

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Bp fix ,to plug oil.

              Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              we use test balls and jet sweats. why can't they make one out of a heavy enough material and expand it.

              can the metal pipe be crimped to a semi closed position?

              a hydraulic jaw can pinch it pretty tight and slow it down.

              do i need to bring them my propress and show them a thing or 2

              rick.
              I was thinking some kind of heavy rubber bladder that could be worked several feet into the pipe and expanded. I think you are suggesting something similar only made of metal. I agree that they need to fabricate something to go inside and expand rather than try to cap. Pumping mud against the outward pressure of oil and gas seemed a waste of time and effort.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Bp fix ,to plug oil.

                I hate to say this, but I was watching this last night and just knew this was going to happen. Looked where it was cutting and thought that it could get into the "pinch".

                http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...pe_during.html

                Why don't they think of these things? Maybe they do. Easy to judge someone else after the fact.

                I can come up with all kinds of plugs, valves, pinches & stuff. But when your controlling it from a boat, on rolling seas above, to the work 5,000 feet below, in around 0 degree water, with fluid and gas gushing through what looks like a 6" pipe at over 2,000 psi.....it kind of throw a humongous monkey wrench into things.

                J.C.
                Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 06-02-2010, 10:25 AM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Bp fix ,to plug oil.

                  If I am remembering the many news reports correctly, the pipe is about 24-inches in diameter and the gushing oil pressure is a 27,000 psi. I'm not sure what the actual water pressure at that 5,000 ft depth must be, but I am sure it is tremendous.

                  One of the really big problems that they are facing at the moment is that the hurricane season has started. Current plans of adding a dome which would conduct a large quantity (I'm not sure if this is even a "majority") of the oil to the surface where it would be captured by a tanker. However, in the midst of an oncoming hurricane, any such vessels would have to evacuate out of the hurricane's path... thus leaving this oil to spew freely on the surface, as there would still be no way to cut off the flow.

                  Another report this morning was that no one appears to be confident in the integrity of the pipe shaft within the well. Opinions are that any attempt to cap or plug the line may well cause and underground/but near surface rupture of the casing. That would result in many areas of leakage as the ruptured casing bleeds the oil through ocean floor. Sort of sounds like they now know where the reported sub-standard piping (mentioned in an earlier post) now is.

                  Also reported was that on "expert" is under the belief that even the relief wells that presently being drilled will NOT totally stop the oil from gushing from this particular site. His thoughts are this thing may spew for years/decades to come, or until a method is found to plug it.

                  Bottom line appears that our greed for oil and the money made from it, has finally let the genie out of the bottle... and we are going to be paying for it, BIG TIME!

                  So, my idea is that we start building a dike from the tip of Florida to Cuba, and then on to the nearest edge of South America. Drain the "water" on the western side of the dike and then just turn the gulf into the world's largest body of open oil. All bordering countries would then have free access to the oil reservoir.

                  Advantages? Well, there would be many. Mexican's and all other Hispanics would not be able to stay south of the border and have all the oil they want... maybe setting up their own little "canning" stations for tranport and sell to all of us "gas-guzzlers" north of the border.

                  There would also be a Trans-American highway, on top of this dike... you could literally drive to Cuba and then on to South America.

                  We could even have a major "oil highway" system running from the gulf all the way up to Canada, and/or even a big pipeline system.

                  Just think of it... it would entail some of the biggest and best civil engineering projects in the history of mankind. Super dikes, dams, pumping stations, highways, pipelines, etc. We could have our own "black sea"... well actually I guess it's really "brown"... hmmm, well we could have the first "Brown Sea" then.



                  CWS

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Bp fix ,to plug oil.

                    Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    I hate to say this, but I was watching this last night and just knew this was going to happen. Looked where it was cutting and thought that it could get into the "pinch".

                    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...pe_during.html

                    Why don't they think of these things? Maybe they do. Easy to judge someone else after the fact.

                    I can come up with all kinds of plugs, valves, pinches & stuff. But when your controlling it from a boat, on rolling seas above, to the work 5,000 feet below, in around 0 degree water, with fluid and gas gushing through what looks like a 6" pipe at over 2,000 psi.....it kind of throw a humongous monkey wrench into things.

                    J.C.
                    I was thinking the same thing. At this point I think I would cut the flange off and install a blind flange. It would spill a ton of oil until it was done but I believe it would do the job. It would not be easy but it could be done.

                    First you would cut and move the existing flange away. Then you would install long pieces of all thread into the mating flange. Each piece of all thread would be a different length by a couple of inches. You would install the blind plug on the tallest piece of all thread while it is not over the mating flange. Once it is secured you would swing it over and start lowering it over the other rods one at a time until it is tight.

                    Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Bp fix ,to plug oil.

                      Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      I was thinking the same thing. At this point I think I would cut the flange off and install a blind flange. It would spill a ton of oil until it was done but I believe it would do the job. It would not be easy but it could be done.

                      First you would cut and move the existing flange away. Then you would install long pieces of all thread into the mating flange. Each piece of all thread would be a different length by a couple of inches. You would install the blind plug on the tallest piece of all thread while it is not over the mating flange. Once it is secured you would swing it over and start lowering it over the other rods one at a time until it is tight.

                      Mark
                      I like it, just don't know if they have any tools that will torque those bolts off. Those ROV's can't even turn what's supposed to be a shutoff valve down there.

                      Right now it looks to me like they are going to have to accept failure with the cutting robot, break the blade, or yank it loose and maybe try to cut again from another side.

                      At least they have a relief joint now.

                      J.C.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Bp fix ,to plug oil.

                        Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        I like it, just don't know if they have any tools that will torque those bolts off. Those ROV's can't even turn what's supposed to be a shutoff valve down there.

                        Right now it looks to me like they are going to have to accept failure with the cutting robot, break the blade, or yank it loose and maybe try to cut again from another side.

                        At least they have a relief joint now.

                        J.C.
                        Given the damage being done to the ecology, and tremendous cost to the economy, they must pull all stops. I mean, if there is no tool presently that will do the required job make one! Get the best machine shops and fabricators working on tools that will function at those depths and pressures. They tried a dome of concrete, how something less dome shaped and less buoyant, more massive and more metal to just squash the whole ocean floor around the gusher?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Bp fix ,to plug oil.

                          Just some information.

                          The riser pipe is 21" in diameter with a 1" thick steel wall.

                          Then there is an internal drill pipe inside of the riser that is 6-5/8" in diameter with 1/2" thick steel wall.

                          Both have to be cut before the next step in their plan.

                          J.C.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Bp fix ,to plug oil.

                            Currently pulling up an ROV. Appears this company is assisting and heavy into the business anyway.

                            http://www.subsea7.com/subsea_company.php

                            Gonna' take awhile to get it to the surface. Might see a surface picture.

                            Studying all of this. My latest obsession. Sorry.

                            J.C.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Bp fix ,to plug oil.

                              I wonder if NASA has any ideas? They're use to working in extreme, remote environments.

                              I'm sure visibility is an issue. Also, it isn't as if the ROV can quickly or easily change position to gain leverage advantage. You and I can easily manipulate an open end wrench in a tight spot. Imagine trying this via remote control with limited visibility and no tactile input.

                              This has likely surpassed the point where no punishment can begin to fit the crime. And yes, I am calling this a crime. From the 11 workers killed to the unintended consequences of negligence.

                              The owner/operator of the Upper Big Branch Coal mine should be brought up on manslaughter. And there should be people from the Big Horizon operation brought up on manslaughter too.

                              What more evidence is required to prove that industry is not capable of regulating itself?

                              How does one hold BP, Transworld or Haliburton responsible for what has, is and will continue to happen? And if no is held to account, what does that say to the rest of the corporate world?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Bp fix ,to plug oil.

                                BRING ON THE U.S. NAVY! They have the best Equept., and can do, in the World !

                                A W.W. 2 Attitude would deal with This! Those Men are gone. We have no leadership in Govt.
                                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X