X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choices

Brenda talked to our son tonight after he had just finished an arrest. Apparently a young driver in a "street racer" Honda was being pulled over by a Sheriff and he decided to run. My son took over once they hit the freeway and the chase was on. The Honda and my son were both doing 130 mph on an open stretch of the freeway.

For some reason the kid decided to exit the freeway and head into the mountains. My son said if the kid had stayed on the freeway he would have eventually lost him as his car was totally tricked out. Once the kid ran out of road he tried to ram my son's cruiser.

Once the kid was arrested he told my son he ran because of a suspended license and he did not want to have his car impounded. Now in addition to the driving on a suspended license and having his car impounded he has added resisting arrest, alluding, speeding (130 mph in a 65 mph), attempted murder of a police officer and a bunch of other charges.

These were all choices this kid made which are sure to affect the rest of his life.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 06-03-2010, 02:22 AM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Choices

It seems to me in Cal. the kid should have pulled over and acted like he had no license, or regestration and he could possibly be an illegal immegrant. What would have happened then? On a serious note he may have set the stage for the rest of his life by these stupid acts.

Comment

why wasn't i on the ride along with jon
      did it make the evening news

sounds like the honda will be put through the crusher

tell jon, good job

glad he practiced his skills while go carting

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Brenda talked to our son tonight after he had just finished an arrest. Apparently a young driver in a "street racer" Honda was being pulled over by a Sheriff and he decided to run. My son took over once they hit the freeway and the chase was on. The Honda and my son were both doing 130 mph on an open stretch of the freeway.

For some reason the kid decided to exit the freeway and head into the mountains. My son said if the kid had stayed on the freeway he would have eventually lost him as his car was totally tricked out. Once the kid ran out of road he tried to ram my son's cruiser.

Once the kid was arrested he told my son he ran because of a suspended license and he did not want to have his car impounded. Now in addition to the driving on a suspended license and having his car impounded he has added resisting arrest, alluding, speeding (130 mph in a 65 mph), attempted murder of a police officer and a bunch of other charges.

These were all choices this kid made which are sure to affect the rest of his life.

Mark
        He was lucky, Another Cop would have shot Him ! You both did a good job,
        He used restraint !
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          why wasn't i on the ride along with jon
          did it make the evening news

sounds like the honda will be put through the crusher

tell jon, good job

glad he practiced his skills while go carting

rick.
          That's right I forgot how bad Jon beat you at go-carting.

No the chase ended in a small residential area a long way from reporters.

Mark

Comment

I've read that the portion of the human brain that assesses risk doesn't completely develop until the age of 26. This would certainly explain a lot of deaths and stunts like this kid.

We have had an unusual amount of rain up here in the past couple of days and as a result the streams, creeks and rivers are rising rapidly. Yesterday a 15 year kid jumped into a creek not far from my home and drowned. This creek was/is raging and nothing like it's normal catatonic state. It is tragic.

The contrast could not be any more stark. I look at the creek and determine instantly that it is a hazard to be avoid at cost. A kid looks at the same creek and sees something fun to do.

Adrenaline likely was already pumping when the cops showed up and the racer kid, already at a disadvantage in the decision making department, compounded the situation when the Fight or Flight instinct wrongly kicked in. From there on the decision process was probably consisted of nothing more than 1/4 mile increments.

Fortunately no one was harmed. I image your son had a little adrenaline going through his system too! 130 MPH is just plain fast.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
              I've read that the portion of the human brain that assesses risk doesn't completely develop until the age of 26. This would certainly explain a lot of deaths and stunts like this kid.

We have had an unusual amount of rain up here in the past couple of days and as a result the streams, creeks and rivers are rising rapidly. Yesterday a 15 year kid jumped into a creek not far from my home and drowned. This creek was/is raging and nothing like it's normal catatonic state. It is tragic.

The contrast could not be any more stark. I look at the creek and determine instantly that it is a hazard to be avoid at cost. A kid looks at the same creek and sees something fun to do.

Adrenaline likely was already pumping when the cops showed up and the racer kid, already at a disadvantage in the decision making department, compounded the situation when the Fight or Flight instinct wrongly kicked in. From there on the decision process was probably consisted of nothing more than 1/4 mile increments.

Fortunately no one was harmed. I image your son had a little adrenaline going through his system too! 130 MPH is just plain fast.
              Beat me too it. That's it in a nutshell. The cognitive development & risk assessment have not developed yet. So they cannot fully understand and accept possible risks of actions. In short, most are stupid. The same as we were.

Ain't much changed except lesser parenting. Especially in the developmental stages.

J.C.

Comment

1/2 second after a 6 minute race is not a lot.

considering they forgot to unplug me

tell him i have more tickets for indoor racing. i'll trade a ride for a ride

do i need to take my sprinter on a speed run while he's working

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post

My sons handle adrenaline a little different than most. The CHP Officer is my youngest and gets very tactical. He has always been the type that is very analytical in his approach to everything. His cruisers top speed is 130-mph and he travels at that speed often. His area is fairly rural and if he has to provide backup he may have to drive 20-miles or better. The new cars the CHP is looking at top out at 150-mph.

The kids street racer was stripped of every piece that was not needed and the engine was built. The only thing in the drivers compartment was a drivers seat and much of the sheet metal was missing as well. However, once the kid got onto surface streets he had to slow down.

My middle son use to be a LEO but now is a commercial helicopter pilot in the Gulf of Mexico. Like his younger brother he gets tactical but is a nervous wreck worrying what he might have forgotten. His old cruiser topped out at 130-mph as well but he had a personal car they said could do 170-mph. He borrowed a runway one night and the best he could do was 160-mph.

The oldest is an Apache attack helicopter pilot. He gets tactical and like his youngest bother stays in control. His top speed is about 190-mph but he always tells his brothers he has bigger guns.

Mark
                  Last edited by ToUtahNow; 06-03-2010, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    1/2 second after a 6 minute race is not a lot.

considering they forgot to unplug me

tell him i have more tickets for indoor racing. i'll trade a ride for a ride

do i need to take my sprinter on a speed run while he's working

rick.
                    All you have to do is call him and ask him to schedule you in. However, if you go, please don't embarrass me by doing something silly.

Mark

Comment

I hate to advocate restricting personal freedoms. but!, as long as vehicles have the power to exceed the speed limit, drivers will speed. I always enjoyed driving fast, even as I got older. Finally about ten years ago I got caught doing over a hundred MPH. I felt like a fool, and felt worse for putting the officer at risk having to drive fast to catch up with me. My daily communte prior to that always included speeds of over one hundred MPH.

I don't think we can afford to have drivers who speed, learn from a near death experience, or traffic stop. In my opinion the best way to prevent these speeds, risk to the public and risk to law enforcement is to limit the speed of the vehicles. Sounds drastic, unAmerican, big brother like, but it would help. Give me a car that will do 150MPH with Z rated tires and I'm going to take it all the way, well not anymore but that's just me. These days 70's are my upper limit.

Comment

Franki - Not unAmerican at all. People tend to forget that driving is a privilege. In my opinion, our attitude toward driving is a bit casual.

We have people too that are too young and too old driving, and plenty in between that have little or no regard for their fellow motorists.

The penalties for driving infractions are minimal. Until the driving laws get medieval we will continue to have to suffer the presence of poor drivers.

Comment

I believe the Swiss have ticketed has high a 1% of your net work for speeding. It cost one guy $240,000 for a speeding ticket.

I spend a lot of time on miles and miles of the 15 fwy through California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Montana. My top speed was 110-mph on my motorcycle but when I passed the Nevada Highway Patrol Officer I felt kind of dumb. At 110-mph I was at the limit of being able to see the road because of the vibration. In contrast, I have hit 100-mph in my Blackwood more than once without realizing it. The speed limit on the 15 use to range from 70-mph to whatever is prudent (unlimited).

Mark

Comment

I HATE getting stuck behind some goon doing 70 mph in the passing lane. Especially first thing in the morning. People like that ALWAYS make me a few minutes late for work on numerous occasions. The worst part is: The earlier I leave for work, the slower those people drive, which in turn not only extends my commute, BUT gives other slow drivers a chance to get in front of me, and slow me down even more!

GRRRRR.

Why can't we have highways like the German Autobahn? The whole POINT of a highway IS to to be able to move quickly from one place to another. In fact, in Germany, they have found that the HIGHER the speed limit (If any at all) leads to the REDUCTION of traffic accidents.

Also, if it takes the driver ahead of me takes 15 minutes to pass a trailer, I should be allowed to kill him, via bumping him from behind like the police do.

*Edited for various typos*
                            Last edited by tailgunner; 06-04-2010, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                              I HATE getting stuck behind some goon doing 70 mph in the passing lane. Especially first thing in the morning. People like that ALWAYS make me a few minutes late for work on numerous occasions. The worst part is: The earlier I leave for work, the slow those people drive, which in turn not only extends my commute, BUT gives other slow drivers a chance to get in front of me, and slw me down even more!

GRRRRR.

Why can't we have highways like the German Autobahn? The whole POINT of a highway IS to to be able to move quickly from one place to another. In fact, in Germany, they have found that the HIGHER the speed limit (If any at all) leads to the REDUCTION of traffic accidents.

Also, if it takes the driver ahead of me 15 minutes to pass a trailer, I should be allowed to kill him, via bumping him from behind like the police do.
                              Well, that's another way at looking at the situation. I may be wrong but I think most of the accidents on the autobahn are fatal. I also think folks driving at those sppeds have good driving skills and vehicles built and properly maintained for those speeds. A lot of folks here change tires when the fabric is showing.

You also have to accept that if you think you are driving fast and own the road, someone just a little crazier than you will ram you in the rear. One morning I was switching highways and immediately reached 100MPH in the center lane, very little traffic when a corvette passed me on the right like I was parked! All I saw was a blur and it was gone, had to be doing 150MPH+.
                              You really can't get to where you are going faster if the speed limits are raised and there are more accidents.

Comment

Working...
                              X