X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obligitory thread for D-day.

Little video that has been around for years, yet usually only posted around this time. To quote from an English member of an online gaming forum I used to be a member of myself during my college years: "This is why we leave the amphibious landings to the Americans."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mChp...eature=related

Enjoy!

Re: Obligitory thread for D-day.

Wow, 2 for 2. First your Memorial Day Soliloquy and now this. You really have a hard on for the military. If you would read a little bit of history about what really happened on D-Day, you would realize the courage that lead to the many deaths on Normandy's beaches. The US soldier being what he is (for the most part, still, I hope, and the first-hand reports from SWA confirm it), despite idiotic blunders in planning and bureaucracy, still prevailed. Yes, many men died, following orders: Farm boys from Kansas, Bowery boys from NY, jumped off the landing craft carrying up to 100 lbs of gear in 10 feet of water. They did not have a choice. Jump off and possibly drown, or stay there and get blown up from the shore barrage. They did not select the site, and many did not have the option of whether or not they wanted to be there. In the end, enough survived to get the job done.

Unlike you, who had the choice, and accepted the paycheck, but still decides to impugn the integrity of those past who died who had nothing personal to gain, but fought for the liberty of of many who could not or would not, the men who hit the beaches on D-Day paid a disastrous price in physical suffering and mental anguish. They are to be honored for what they did, not maligned by video clips of those still training and making the mistakes that they will learn from and will prevent them from a recurrence of the tragedies that happened June 6, 1944.

Yeah, the video is cute and gets a laugh from those who have not a clue what those who put their lives on the line daily for you to have the freedom to ridicule them, but is grossly misplaced in this instance.

I would say your username fits you well, but that would also impugn the many who died that voluntarily sat in tail turrets of bombers to protect their crew, when they knew there was no chance to survive or escape if the aircraft was disabled.

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

No tribute to those that paid the ultimate price should ever be considered "obligatory." My grandfather was at Normandy (survived) and I find nothing about this comical whatsoever.

Comment

I can't play the video. so I don't know what it says. I will say as far as I know tailgunner, toolaholic and tool junky can say what they want about anybody else that has ever seen combat or say what they want about anything in the military past or present and make fun of
        what they want pertaining to anything in the military.

Thats just me. Not judging what anybody wrote here.

Comment

Look, all I did was post a funny video, a video made, edited, and released by soldiers, people that, for some reason, you put on a pedestal. Everyone else I showed it to found it funny, including those in the military (And vets), which I happen to be a member of (That becomes important later). AS such, that leads to the fact you guys are the one with the problem. Have your lives been so insulated, isolated, and sheltered, that you developed a sensativity so high, that it not only negates any sense of humor, but renders the slightest hint, that you assume to be there, of any supposed slander, as grounds for offence? If so, then I have nothing but pity , because it IS pitiful for the both of you.

I just spent the last four days humping around in Chem gear (J-List to be exact, getting trained on dealing with missle threats, terrorists, IED'd, and first aid, including how to use nerve agent counter medicine. Why? Because once again I'm getting shipped off, this time to Afganistan. You see me as some complete dirtbag, yet I re-enlisted for another six years, knowing full well my unit is being activated, and sent to a place where I'll really be shot at, or more likely step on a landmine or IED, all for the purpose of making thousands of marines' lives a little easier.

In spite of it all, I'm not the one that slandered anyone, you are the ones that MADE UP some mindnumbing conclusion based on some bizzare assumptions from absolutely nothing, and formed it into a ball of feces to fling at me. I am owed an apology from the both of you.

Comment

tailgunner- I do not think that you are a "dirtbag." However, I think it is in poor taste to commemorate D-Day with a video that depicts soldiers bogged down on a beach landing in a comical manner. Do you not see the irony? It would be the same as posting a video of a bi-plane flying into a barn to commemorate 9/11. The video by itself is not offensive, it is the event that you have attached it to that makes the difference. Some things in life are supposed to be serious so that future generations remember why it was so important. Apology? Not going to happen. Our disagreement aside, I truly hope that you come back home safe. Be alert over there.

Comment

No apology from me, either. I am a combat veteran,(over a year in Viet Nam, as well as several months in the desert after the first Gulf war. No combat there, but still a hostile environment. I was in the Khobar Towers building three weeks before it got blown up by a terrorist bomb). I also have 30 years active duty enlisted. Yes, I have earned my right to be upset.

I do not dispute your right to find humor in the military and the numerous snafu's that occur. My grief is the events you tied them to. Active duty, veteran, or not, I feel it was very poor taste to mock any soldier on the days meant to remember those who did not return home.

Thank you for your on-going service to this country and I truly wish you a safe homecoming from your upcoming deployment.

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I thought it was quite funny if we carn`t laugh at ourselves than what is the point of being in Afghanistan and Irag yes I know why we were dragged into Iraq was for oil but Afghanistan it reminds my of Nam a war we didn`t win and Afghanistan a war we will never win.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                X