X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get What You Need!

Father's Day is just about here and while I'm happy to get a kiss on the cheek and a card, some of us will be getting gifts. When I think about receiving gifts, I'm torn between accepting whatever is given to me, and politely saying thankyou "But" is there any chance I can exchange this ?
    The reason I say this is not to be rude or seem spoiled, but I know what I need and I hate to waste anyone's money on something I won't use or won't fit my needs. Perfect example of this would be socket sets. Many of the gifted sockets sets contain twelve point sockets and anyone who knows tools, know that twelve point have a tendency to round off a bolt head whereas the six point sockets usually do not.

I would rather add a bit of my own money to a gift received and buy something I know will give me better service. I know a couple guys who never return clothes they get as gifts, and never wear them either. They have draws full of shirts and pants from the 70's! What a waste. I know this is not a big deal for some, but I can't afford to keep things I don't need or won't use. What's your take on this?

Re: Get What You Need!

I might get you a card, but that kiss on the cheek is a loooong way off!! I do agree with you on "useless gifts".

Comment

One mans useless is another mans treasure
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        One mans useless is another mans treasure
        Yes, it is an individual person specific sort of thing I was trying to convey. While a homeowner might do fine with a small propane or MAAP gas torch, a Pro might rather want or need a Turbo Torch. Rather than keep a gift I really can't use, I prefer to get what I really want or need so it's not wasteful. The stores put out plenty of holiday specific items, and folks buy them with good intentions but that does not mean we should keep a golf shirt if we don't golf. I'm not into regifting either, just get me what I want and need or allow me the opportunity to exchange what I've received with no hard feelings.

Comment

I don't think it is inappropriate to nicely let you loved one's know of your preferences. In a way, it's sort of a learning experience for both the giver and the receiver, as long as it's handled gracefully and with loving intentions. Afterall, there are some of us who are simply not very good at buying gifts and or paying attention enough to buy just the right gift. I once heard it said, "Thoughtless gifts come from thoughtless people!"

I would like to think that I am NOT a thoughtless person, but I've always found "gift giving" a tough call... I'm NOT very good at it, and frankly I feel guilty that it is my fault, almost totally. (I'm not a good listener and I'm as dumb as a chicken when it comes to picking up on "hints".)

Way back when Patty and I were first married, I blundered on the presents to her, quite a bit. I just never seemed to hit the target, or for that matter even come close. While one might think she may be "hard to please", the simple fact of the matter is that I'm probably just a callous jerk. All things considered, I accept that label.

So between us, we no longer do the "surprise" or unknown gift thing. I hate buying clothes, for her or for me and almost everything else is a matter of personal taste or interest. Therefore, we decided long, long ago that the best thing to do was to simply say, "What do you want and when do you want to go shopping?" In that manner, we both get what we want, exactly, and neither of us are ashamed to go with the other to pick out our own present.

Lists can work for some, but we've actually had the most fun and happiness simply sharing our shopping for each other, in the company of each other. It's worked for more than 42 years, and I think she still likes me.

So, when on the receiving end, like with Father's Day, I usually just love whatever comes my way. Fortunately our son is very much like his mother, as they are both far better at choosing presents than I will ever be, and therefore, I never have to worry about anything but being genuinely happy with any presents from them. I am blessed.

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 06-17-2010, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
            I might get you a card, but that kiss on the cheek is a loooong way off!! I do agree with you on "useless gifts".

I with you on the thing

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Many of the gifted sockets sets contain twelve point sockets and anyone who knows tools, know that twelve point have a tendency to round off a bolt head whereas the six point sockets usually do not.
              There are some sockets with 12 special shaped lobes that are far better than 12 actual points, but I'm with you on preferring 6 points/lobes. I also like (hard to find but they are made) 6 point/lobe box wrenches for busting loose frozen fasteners.

As to the "I need or I want" rather than just receiving a nice gift, I think sometimes it's wise to post some lists with brand and catalog numbers. This way the giver can try researching items that really will do you some good. I hate to end up having to keep hush hush and try to either exchange or sell a gift so I can then get what I need.

Hint: Tell anyone that will be giving you something what you would like to receive and to please give you a list of things he/she would like to receive for a gift.

I think a gift card for a store you know someone shops at frequently makes a good gift. That way you have far less problems over the long run. I remember some friends that used to buy their own gifts, have family members or close friends help pay for them and then a day or two before the special day, they would have someone hide the item. On the special day a card (hand delivery mostly) would be presented with good hints on where and how to find the item(s).
              Last edited by Woussko; 06-18-2010, 05:11 PM.

Comment

My wife bought a battery powered crescent wrench for a gift. Being nice I gave it a try under normal conditions. I was going after a compression fitting on a pilot tube. As soon as it reached the point of tension...there was an obstacle that would hit the release button

I also have 2 young children. They don't see tools like we do. If Ridgid made a set of purple pipe wrenches? Daddy would have. Oh, the girls like purple. My son would like to see an Ironman set.

Thanks CW!!! That was a great post. I will show my wife that one and we will learn better.

Comment

I appreciate the great responses and suggestions. Communication is a big part of the whole gift giving thing. I have a tough time buying for my wife. Like many women she's not happy with her figure so clothing is a real no no, and if I play it safe with sleep wear I get that disappointed look that says "This again". She does exercise, but if I get her workout clothes then I'm accused of pushing her to workout more. Help.... Why can't women enjoy tools? I would get her the nicest chainsaw if she would just ask.

Comment

I've gotten the cheap tools too. Now there's a let down. I tell her don't buy me tools because they are "cute". Gift cards are great. Sears is a winner every time. If it came from my daughter, I don't care what it is, I treasure it!

As far as giving gifts to my wife. She's only happy if it requires a second mortgage on the house!
                    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
                    X