X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Tools? or The Company's Tools?

I seldom hire anyone to work with me on my company's jobs if I need them to use many tools.

The same guy on 2 jobs destroyed 2 power tools worth about $700

Another guy screwed up a few beam jacks (about $80 each when I could still get them)

not to mention all the bits, blades etc. that get abused.

I found it was better to just do it myself and take longer.

Cheaper too as I don't need comp insurance for just myself.

My business is pretty well a part time thing these days anyway.

Comment

Just had a hired day laborer today that was truthfully a hard worker. He did also manage to break 2 of the owners tools. A screw driver and a Porter Cable Tiger Sawzall have seen the end of their days. I pulled mine off my truck and the day continued, but I did run the tools. Lending tools is like letting your girlfriend go to the prom with another date as friends...you will never get her back the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
        Just had a hired day laborer today that was truthfully a hard worker. He did also manage to break 2 of the owners tools. A screw driver and a Porter Cable Tiger Sawzall have seen the end of their days. I pulled mine off my truck and the day continued, but I did run the tools. Lending tools is like letting your girlfriend go to the prom with another date as friends...you will never get her back the same.
        It's a dam shame that most people don't appreciate and respect other people's property when in their care. I stopped lending out tools years ago, very disappointed with how they were returned. I have borrowed a couple tools and not only make sure I return them cleaner than when I got them but if it is a saw, I make sure to include a new blade! A buddy let me borrow a power hand planer years ago and I bought him new blades.

Part of the problem with lending out tools is the ignorance or lack of ability on the part of the person using it. I would rather offer to help and lend my knowledge along with the tool, at least I know it won't be damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          On the other hand
          Rookie plumber never had an employee that paid for anything.
          15 vans stocked down to the screwdriver.
          Rookie does things different from other people! He even supplied his guys with "Buddy Boxes"!
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            It's a dam shame that most people don't appreciate and respect other people's property when in their care. I stopped lending out tools years ago, very disappointed with how they were returned. I have borrowed a couple tools and not only make sure I return them cleaner than when I got them but if it is a saw, I make sure to include a new blade! A buddy let me borrow a power hand planer years ago and I bought him new blades.

Part of the problem with lending out tools is the ignorance or lack of ability on the part of the person using it. I would rather offer to help and lend my knowledge along with the tool, at least I know it won't be damaged.
            I have three good friends that I will loan my tools- that's it. I once borrowed a tubing bender from one of the three and it ended up with a little surface rust while in my care. Nothing major and it all came off with a little 1200 grit but I felt bad so I bought him a new one. At one time I loaned tools to many other friends but there's only so many times you can have your drill caked inside and out with drywall dust before you say no.

Comment

When I did commercial hvac, the policy was the company supplied the tool if it had a cord. They did however buy the tools for us and we paid them back in monthly allotments. It was a good company.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
              X