Your Tools? or The Company's Tools?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Tools? or The Company's Tools?

I know a lot of the guys on here are the owners. Of course you own the tools.

This is for the owners:

Do you have that one tech that provides is own tools? How do you care for that tool which is providing you service?

To the techs:

Where are your tools?

I have a great love of tools as all here should. I enjoy using my tools to do the company's job. I provided the tool, when it brakes doing your work...replace or repair it. That is how I feel...AND I hold the same back to the employee using the company tool, or should I say misusing. If you break the tool replace or repair.

In reality it is the company that normally pays due to yahoos. I am not talking about those guys. I am talking about your A-Team. Do they provide their own tools? If you are entering this trade? We understand times are tough. But a framer does not show up on the job without a hammer! Why would you show up without a torch, set of wrenches, or a flashlight?

Enter at your own risk
    Last edited by Kevin Jones; 06-21-2010, 10:29 PM.

Re: Your Tools? or The Company's Tools?

when i was in the union 1981,as an apprentice and then journeyman. the company was required to supply everything. including tape measures and channelocks.

mid to late 80's the contracts changed and we had to supply tapes and channelocks. the company still supplied everything else. not sure how it is today.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I worked for New York Tel as a fleet mechanic, installer/repairman and lineman. I was never allowed to bring in and use my own tools. The company provided bare minimum tools for the auto work and many high quality and diverse tools for the other jobs. I think it is better to have your workers receive a small allotment towards tools depending on the trade, in hopes that they will care for them better and also safeguard them better. I worked with too many guys who abused tools and it bothered me. I know there are responsible tradesmen here who worked themselves up from apprentice, and I'm sure they learned the proper use and care of their tools along the way.

We can argue who will provide the better qualtiy tools, but the use and care is in the hands of the user. How do you teach responsibility to folks who just don't care? Some people will break your tools as well as their own, makes no sense.

Comment

I supply all the tools. Of course most of the work we do does not require expensive tools. It is irritating non the less to have a brand new shovel handle broken.
        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

My boss's tools have been so abused by his guys,here is a example.
          For a few weeks they were sanding rafters and when they were done they just left the tools like this...for a month

On the job we are on now they didn't lock them up so now most of the tools are gone(stolen)
          Boss says he is not buying tools anymore and I do not blame him.
          Problem is now they want to use mine..lol.
          I'm quick to show that pic(its on my phone)If it was up to me I would have fired the whole lot of them.
          I invest a large percentage of my wages in to tools.I like having nice stuff to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by IamVince View Post
            My boss's tools have been so abused by his guys,here is a example.
            For a few weeks they were sanding rafters and when they were done they just left the tools like this...for a month

On the job we are on now they didn't lock them up so now most of the tools are gone(stolen)
            Boss says he is not buying tools anymore and I do not blame him.
            Problem is now they want to use mine..lol.
            I'm quick to show that pic(its on my phone)If it was up to me I would have fired the whole lot of them.
            I invest a large percentage of my wages in to tools.I like having nice stuff to work with.
            Even if they didn't want to wipe them down, a simple air nozzle off a compressor would blow a lot of the dust off the tools and out of the insides which will help them run longer. I don't lend out tools except to people I really know will use them properly and not beat them up. I figure other folks don't own the tool and probably either don't know how to use it or will otherwise misuse it.
            Unless there is some kind of defect, a tool will last longer if cleaned, maintained and not dropped. Usually comes back to some folks who just don't care, I don't get it?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              when i was in the union 1981,as an apprentice and then journeyman. the company was required to supply everything. including tape measures and channelocks.

mid to late 80's the contracts changed and we had to supply tapes and channelocks. the company still supplied everything else. not sure how it is today.

rick.

I had to pay for everything, right down to the screwdriver.

Comment

that's because you electricians made more than us plumbers

were you in the union?

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Company provides anything with a power cord. everything else is on me.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                    I had to pay for everything, right down to the screwdriver.
                    Same here.
                    When I was a kid
                    The non union const. plumbing company would supply Hole Hogs and a cheap sawzall,everything else was on us.
                    Hole hog is inefficient,
                    How do you cut decent square cuts on wood blocking with a sawzall?
                    I bought my own Timberwolf,Skillsaw and P/C Tigersaw.

I didn't care that the greedy employer wouldn't pay more.
                    I was high on stomping *** and leaving their plumbers in the dust.

On the other hand
                    Rookie plumber never had an employee that paid for anything.
                    15 vans stocked down to the screwdriver.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      On the other hand
                      Rookie plumber never had an employee that paid for anything.
                      15 vans stocked down to the screwdriver.
                      I wonder how often Rookie kept replacing those tools?

There was one shop I worked with that gave a tool fund of $1.00/billable hour. Every 3 months we could make a draw from the fund. It was like Christmas 4 times a year.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        that's because you electricians made more than us plumbers

were you in the union?

rick.

I was never in a union, but did start off in a mid-sized contracting company. If I remember right, I paid around $900 for both hand and battery tools. Inspite of the high upfront cost for a $9.00 an hour apprentice position, it was the health insurance costs that hurt the most. Inspite of the employer covering half, it was still $180 a month for single plan. Bleh. Tricare through the military could not come soon enough, though at the time it still had yet to expand to the National Guard.

Comment

Personally I think it takes ownership to develop responsibility. Company's would save money if they had a fair tool fund and required the tech to provide the basic stuff. I am not talking mainline machines, welders, recovery equipment the big stuff, although I seem to own all of those now.

What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                            Personally I think it takes ownership to develop responsibility. Company's would save money if they had a fair tool fund and required the tech to provide the basic stuff. I am not talking mainline machines, welders, recovery equipment the big stuff, although I seem to own all of those now.

What do you think?
                            I agree with two stipulations, first regardless of what tool the tech is willing to purchase before he or she is allowed to use it on the job they must be trained. I've seen guys almost take out an eye with a simple pair of long nose by pulling towards themselves! Secondly, I'm not sure how it would work but injury caused to an individual resulting from either the misuse of a tool or a defective tool would probably fall on the worker but it is still "on the job"?

Comment

Lots of tools disappeared over the years, I remember I had one guy that came into work one morning and all of a sudden his sawzall and right angle drill with all the bits in the case were no longer in his locked truck. Two weeks later he gave me his two week notice.

Comment

Working...
                              X