X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Detecting Hobby?

I saw that J.C. suggested a metal detector in a thread below, but I'm certain that is for work. I was wondering if any of you have dabbled with metal detectors as a hobby and what your thoughts were. I'm kind of bored and was thinking of giving it a try. Thanks.

Re: Metal Detecting Hobby?

I bought one about 5 years ago. thought I would use hell out of it. did for about 2 weeks. It's sitting in the closet collecting dust. Maybe when I retire I will sweep the Florida beaches with all the other old men in bermuda shorts and white shoes
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      I bought one about 5 years ago. thought I would use hell out of it. did for about 2 weeks. It's sitting in the closet collecting dust. Maybe when I retire I will sweep the Florida beaches with all the other old men in bermuda shorts and white shoes
      Been needing one more and more to find buried metal cleanout caps & water meter boxes.

J.C.

Comment

I have one too..sitting in the corner...I had to find my dog's
        dog tags. I still have no clue how she removed them from her collar..150lb mastiff puppy 1 1/2 years old.

Anyway, I kept getting false readings until I realized I kept hitting the
        eyelets on my shoes!!!!!

I never did find her tags and simply ordered replacements.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          I saw that J.C. suggested a metal detector in a thread below, but I'm certain that is for work. I was wondering if any of you have dabbled with metal detectors as a hobby and what your thoughts were. I'm kind of bored and was thinking of giving it a try. Thanks.
          My dad used metal detectors for several years strictly as a hobby. I can tell you from his experience to skip the cheap models and purchase a decent unit that will allow deeper earth penetration and differentiate the type of metal detected. He ended up purchasing a White's and was quite happy with it. The cheap ones will have you digging up pop can tabs all day. My father passed away a few years ago and the only time I tend to go get the detector is when I lose nails or screws while working in the yard.

Comment

actually josh got one from his wife for his birthday a year or 2 ago. he used it at the park with us during the roundup free day. we had fun throwing pennies out ahead of him.

not sure what his biggest catch is to date

but i used mine at disneyland's, california adventure prior to them opening.

the landscaper buried a good 30 valve and c/o boxes

i found about 1/2 of them in the 2 days i was there

the others they had to dig for

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I bought one many years back when I was with a company that did jetting for the city mains. It stayed on my truck and was used to locate covered over manhole lids and cleanouts on the older homes. When everything is covered in a foot or better of snow it really did the trick.

Never really found any treasure to date but the unit has paid for itself time and again.

Comment

The one Josh had worked pretty good. He found an old quarter in the middle of a field within 10 minutes of turning it on.

If I were to buy one, what features would I look for because I'm clueless

Comment

You want to look for one that claims it can read down a few feet. It will also have metal discerning capability. This is to say that you set it to read what you are looking for or you can be wasting your time. I would also be looking for a price tag of no less than $200-250, unless you are finding an incredible bargain. Its been awhile but I think my ran about $325.

Basically look for all the bells and whistles your wallet will allow. I can dig mine back out and which one it is. One other thing, if you are going to use it in the field you may want one that the sensing head can be submerged.

Comment

Funnily enough, non of them will find gold
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Funnily enough, non of them will find gold
                      Please explain. According to the link info it will find gold, bronze, silver, etc.
                      http://www.metaldetector.cc/index.as...Fcl25Qod7TEJxw

Comment

sorry, should have been a little clearer. General purpose detectors generally have a hard time picking out gold in sizes say smaller than a grain of rice however you can buy gold specific models. White sells one. For all around beach combing a GP one will find gold rings and jewelry but for prospecting, unless theres a wopper of a nugget it won't pick it up
                        Last edited by NHMaster3015; 07-02-2010, 08:37 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

I do not have one, but there are a number of people in our area that do have them and some times scourer the areas where Indian and Calvary battles occurred, and some of the other historical sites by the river,

my SIL told me about one guy had been going over this one area, and got a big hit, and he started digging, he dug and dug, nearly three feet deep, and still did not find any thing but keep getting a good hit, what had happened was he located a old wagon wheel rim, and had just dug in the center of the rim never hitting it, until later when he widen his hole, some, the rim was just a few inches under the surface, I guess he was very disappointed in his find, for all the work it took.
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I know mine works for gold and is selectable for it. It was tested on the floor with a gold ring.

Testing the detector on know items and location is a very good idea. All units have their own personality and the operator needs to learn them. The other choice is to spend all day digging for a bottle cap.

Comment

I have a couple of metal detectors. They are low to mid range metal detectors and yes it makes a difference spending a little more money for higher end units. That being said I think there is value in starting out with a lower end model to get the hang of it and understand the hobby.

There is a lot of crap buried under the ground. Aluminum can slaw (cans that got ran over by the lawnmower), nails, pull tabs, etc.

Coins are pretty easy to find though once you get used to the signals. Decent metal detectors have differentiation that tries to tell you what is under the ground and almost all of them give you a depth rating.

Some of the higher end ones like the minelabs and high end whites go deeper and do a much better job of sorting out the garbage.

I haven't done much beach detecting but it is way easier digging through sand than soil and much easier to make look good after your done.

There is a metal detecting forum I used to frequent that is good and gives you and idea of what a good hunt with a good detector can result in.

www.metaldetectingforum.com

Unless you get lucky or you dedicate a lot of time to the hobby you will probably never find enough to pay for you detector. Its just a hobby and you have to approach it that way. Like all my hobbies I dont have nearly enough time for it but enjoy it when I get out every once in a blue moon.

Josh

Comment

Working...
                              X