God bless America

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God bless America

Two hundred and thirty four years ago a fanatical group of men and women, rich and poor united under the cause of liberty and fought against overwhelming odds against the tyranny of King George. They fought and they died for freedom and an idea. The idea that a man should be free to chart the course of his own destiny. Free to reap the full rewards from his labors. Taxation without representation was but one of the calls to war and yet two hundred years later, though represented, we are still encumbered with excessive taxation and representatives that have long since abandoned their constituencies in favor of riches, power and favors. Though still possible, the American dream is becoming harder and harder to achieve. The government is rife with corruption at every level and possesses the ability and power, through the media, to ignore, spin or misdirect the public’s attentions. This is our government. Our White House. These people are elected by, are paid by and work for us.! They are not Kings and they are not above our scrutiny. They must be held accountable and if found lacking, they must be replaced. The Constitution is a perfect document. Within its prose are all the tools necessary to govern this great country. It is WE THE PEOPLE that hold the reins. The time has come once again to steer the wagon.

This holiday is not about barbecue and beer. Fireworks and boat rides. Family gatherings and lawn parties. It is a celebration of freedom and a memorial to all those brave Americans who died for your freedom. So if you do nothing else today, raise a flag, find a flag, put your hand over your heart and recite the pledge to a country that has given you so very much.

God Bless America
    sigpic

Re: God bless America

Perhaps the framers weren't quiet as brilliant as we give them credit for. The experiment lasted two hundred years plus change, but the powerful and wealthy have taken over our government. We are in the midst of a gilded age that makes the late 19th century elite look like welfare recipients.

Still a great place to live. But it could be better.

Comment

WELL SAID NH!!

Hey isn't that concert down by your place this weekend? You should invite yourself as a public speaker. I can see the headlines now "local man incites 15,000 hippies to riot as they suddenly realize their Utopia is just not possible".

Oh and while your at it, convince them to take a shower. After 3 days in the hot sun, I can smell them from here
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

" So if you do nothing else today, raise a flag, find a flag, put your hand over your heart and recite the pledge to a country that has given you so very much."

Sounds like a proper thing to do, better do it quick before we lose our right!
        The misinterpretation of separation of church and state has altered historical fact and threatens every day freedoms we take for granted. If religious extremists gain political power ( I don't mean Christians), there won't be any tolerance for "One Nation Under God".

Enjoy the cookouts and parties, but never lose sight of the threats to our way of life, both obvious and subtle!

Comment

Here, Here!

This is a struggle that has gone on for most of this country's history. NH is absolutely correct in that we have the power. But it takes education, organization, and a true love of the country to maintain vigilance and diligence to constantly enforce our concerns onto the backs of our elected officials.

Almost every generation has faced laziness and self-indulgence in our legislators. It is rare indeed when we elect a person based on an honest appraisal of their abilities and history. Our whole comprehension of what is good, was good, or will be good for the country is rarely based on fact or knowledge or understanding of national or global impact.

Instead, we listen to the pundits, the political action committees, and the corporations who spin even the most minute' trivialities in an effort to sway our vote and our actions.

Life in the 1700's was much more simple than it is now. We voted for our neighbors or we listened to our neighbors because we knew they were men that we knew to be hard working and honest. Often such votes were little more than a raising of our hands at the local townhall meeting.

Our world is much more complex today. We have so many channels with which to receive information, and yet most of us tend to only listen to what is inciteful. It makes us feel good, because it gives us a rush and it tells us we are not at fault.. it often even tells us who is at fault and we can feel good about that, because life seems easier when those "causes" are identified.

But the truly sad part about these things are they are too often frought with lies and untruths and embellishments and vast stretches of propagandic imaginations. Rarely do we, the people, go elsewhere for knowledge, balance, or investigation of the whys and wherefores of such things.

We, the people, are often caught up in the comlexities of our national concerns, only knowing a sliver of the information... only knowing one view... only knowing one side. Our world today is so complex and our lives so busy, that it is almost impossible to be informed in every situation and thus lays the problem; and, the advantage goes to those who will fill their pockets at our expense and who will take away our freedoms by making us fear, when there is nothing to fear or make us feel secure when we should be should be preparing ourselves for a better future.

The results is that we have grown to fear our own government... the one that is presently in office. Few of us look at the governments that we elected in the past and their actions that got us to this place. We only listen those who defend the past, and tell us it is the present that is the problem and the danger. We just never seem to learn, or have memories long enough to identify why we are now in pain. Instead we look for immediate answers and immediate blame and we are fearful and we are angry and those who do not serve us well delight in our forgetfulness and once again promise us a new world order.

We live in one of the greatest countries of the world. But it is not a country without fault; it is not a country without dangers, and it is not a country without a questionable past. It is a country with promise, but only if we make an effort to understand what has transpired and only if we can make an effort to then correct the errors that have brought us to a point. A point where our politicians, in hand with our corporations, have polluted our lands and waters, have moved our jobs to other countries, have stolen our pride, and have given us only fears for the future.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            ...there won't be any tolerance for "One Nation Under God".
            Which god? Even within the Christian faith there are numerous versions. Baptist, southern baptist, catholic, roman catholic, presbyterian, protestant, episcopalian....

But since this is the great melting pot we don't want want to exclude the gods of our recent immigrants. We want them to speak english but do we want to them to convert to a specific religion too?

So we have to consider Islam (only about 500 million followers behind Christianity), Hinduism, Buddhism. And of course what about the third largest group, us secularist/agnostic/atheists? Should we have a say in the matter too?

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
            George Carlin
            Isn't it a little selfish or egotistical to ask your god to bless America? I never understood this idea, to call upon the deity of your choice to stop whatever it is he's doing and apply a helping of good graces unto that which you request. Doesn't make sense.

America is still a great nation despite the various factions fighting for control of this place. No need to add religion to the mix. We've already seen what happens when people don't pass the purity test.
            Last edited by SpiffPeters; 07-04-2010, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post

Isn't it a little selfish or egotistical to ask your god to bless America?
              No it isn't.

Comment

as the pledge says, "One nation under God." best words ever spoken
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Spiff. It says God, not which god. pick the one you like.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                    as the pledge says, "One nation under God." best words ever spoken
                    Due thanks to a Francis Bellamy and Joe McCarthy. Both less than great men. If you understood the roots and the intent of the pledge you may very well be shocked.

Comment

My flag flies 24/7 (except in rain) on a 30' flagpole.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        My flag flies 24/7 (except in rain) on a 30' flagpole.

Mark
                        I don't fly a flag, nor march in a parade. I keep such things quietly to myself in the form of my military ID stored safely in my wallet.

Excuse me while I watch my neighbors fire off a nice fireworks show!

Be safe people, and don't burn yourselves!

Comment

Which god? Even within the Christian faith there are numerous versions. Baptist, southern baptist, catholic, roman catholic, presbyterian, protestant, episcopalian....

But since this is the great melting pot we don't want want to exclude the gods of our recent immigrants. We want them to speak english but do we want to them to convert to a specific religion too?

So we have to consider Islam (only about 500 million followers behind Christianity), Hinduism, Buddhism. And of course what about the third largest group, us secularist/agnostic/atheists? Should we have a say in the matter too?

Isn't it a little selfish or egotistical to ask your god to bless America? I never understood this idea, to call upon the deity of your choice to stop whatever it is he's doing and apply a helping of good graces unto that which you request. Doesn't make sense.

America is still a great nation despite the various factions fighting for control of this place. No need to add religion to the mix. We've already seen what happens when people don't pass the purity test.
                          " The Ultimate Goal of Islam: to Bring All People Into Submission to Islam

To understand the underlying system, we ought to consider some theological aspects. A look at the Qur'an will be helpful here:

In Surah 8:39 we read (according to Pickthall):

"And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression. And there prevail justice and faith in Allah altogether and everywhere: But if they cease, verily Allah doth see all that they do".

The actual rendering should read "until all of religion comes to Allah".

Surah 61:9 confirms this:

"It is He Who has sent His Apostle with guidance and the Religion of Truth that he may proclaim it over all religion, even though the Pagans may detest (it)".

This is backed up by a Hadith:

"The Messenger of Allah says: I have been commanded to fight against people till they testify the fact that there is no god but Allah, and believe in me (that) I am the messenger (from the Lord) and in all that I have brought".

Sahih Muslim I, p. 17

The word 'oppression' should actually read 'uprising' or 'revolt', which turns the passive tense into and active one. We should further realize that this is not just a question of all people to submit to God. In real terms that means no less than that all have to submit to Islam and its law."

I have a big problem with folks who follow the above agenda in keeping with their beliefs in their chosen God. They are determined to eradicate all other religions. Serious problem!

Comment

Due thanks to a Francis Bellamy and Joe McCarthy. Both less than great men. If you understood the roots and the intent of the pledge you may very well be shocked.

Spiff, just for fun take a real deep look into Joe McCarthy and his career. I think you will be surprised.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                              I don't fly a flag, nor march in a parade. I keep such things quietly to myself in the form of my military ID stored safely in my wallet.

Excuse me while I watch my neighbors fire off a nice fireworks show!

Be safe people, and don't burn yourselves!
                              To each their own. My son wears his uniform proudly, would march in a parade if asked and never misses a chance to guest speak at a Eagle Court of Honor.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X