X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine Tomorrow

Imagine you are back in time. July the 4th 1776. The war is won. There is jubilation in the streets. It's finally over. We are free from England's tyranny.
    Now imagine the day after. July the 5th. You wake up and realize that we are now on our own. No support structure. Nobody to blame if things go wrong. A bold experiment in liberty that has never in history been attempted on such a grand scale. The entire world waiting to see if we succeed or fail miserably. The pressure on the founding fathers was enormous and yet they were willing to take the challenge on. How many of us can say the same? How bad do things have to get before we do?
    sigpic

Re: Imagine Tomorrow

An alternative picture.

You sign the Declaration of Independence on July 4. You realize that you have now branded yourself a traitor to the crown.

You are entirely on your own, you have no freedom, and the largest expeditionary force ever assembled by Britain will be coming in a few months.

I would assume that July 5th was a pretty damn scary day, if you were a founding father. The die is cast, and you have no guarantee this is going to go your way. You've just started a civil war. The colonies are divided, there are people with allegiance to the crown; it isn't necessarily clear who is on which side.

I think, that at least for our founding fathers, things must have had to have gotten worse before they got better.

I will say that even my interpretation is historically inaccurate, as the vote for independence is July 2; but the declaration was only adopted on July 4.

Comment

If my memory from history class serves me right, Thomas Jefferson delivered his draft of the Declaration of Independence on July 2. The Continental Congress, over the next two days, "sanitized" it of all references to slavery, in order to appease the southern states and ensure their support.

The war went badly for years for the Americans as Washington lost most of the battles, but under his leadership and the tenacity of the troops, the war continued. Washington won a few key battles and Ben Franklin secured much help from France.

The Battle of Yorktown and the defeat of General Cornwallis was in 1781, which was the end of most of the fighting. Some skirmishes continued for a few months until the word got around to the remaining armies,

The war was not officially over until the Treaty of Paris in 1783.

Comment

Good thought provoking thread that begs an answer. I think things need to get really bad and personal before there is a true public outcry and revolt, something far beyond the tea party protests.

Unemployment is bad, but when unemployment benefits run out from state to bankrupt state we will see a public response of major proportion. Most folks still have a place to live and food to eat. Americans are still wealthy and stupid enough to camp out for a cell phone, but apathetic to a fault regarding our economy and government.

We are witness to administration after administration play politics, bash the opposing party and ignore the will of the people. Clearly it will take more of the same along with a worsening economy, endless wars and man made disasters to finally break the camel's back and bring about a revolution. Patience, we are getting there!

Comment

Oh there is plenty of outrage. Plenty of people tune in to make sure they get their daily dose of manipulated half truths and distortions. Gets the blood flowing.

But then the show is over, the outrage slowly ebbs, the blood pressure drops and then something shiny catches our eye and

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
            Oh there is plenty of outrage. Plenty of people tune in to make sure they get their daily dose of manipulated half truths and distortions. Gets the blood flowing.

But then the show is over, the outrage slowly ebbs, the blood pressure drops and then something shiny catches our eye and
            Totally agree that for the most part we are easily distracted. Have the cops chase OJ and the nation will watch for hours, wonder if the same can be said of matters that impact our economy? In my previous post I was referring to things beyond momentary upset. Sure you can curse at the tv and calm down when you change the channel, but you can't do the same when there is no food and shelter. Thousands of folks being compensated for the damage caused by BP, still results in thousands of folks who were productively earning a living now faced with a bleak future in a toxic environment. Even the dumbest animal can only be distracted so much, we are reaching that point.

Comment

Working...
            X