X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay Marriage

Gay Marriage.
    So we voted it out in California.
    Now all the politicians are going to do is overturn our vote and make it legal against our will.
    I am so pissed at this government
    Last edited by drtyhands; 08-06-2010, 08:05 PM.

Re: Gay Marriage

Tough call since I am all for the will of the people, but also support gay marriage. I know it is a very sacred issue for some, but I think we have much more urgent things that need fixing and our attention.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      Gay Marriage.
      So we voted it out in California.
      Now all the politicians are going to do is overturn our vote and make it legal against our will.
      I am so pissed at this government
      Unfortunately for you the will of the people also founded this country with a constitution intended to grant the people rights.

The will of the people of CA was weighted against the constitution. The facts were considered and the judged determined there was not a sufficient argument to discriminate against gays. Popularity was insufficient to disband the laws of our nation.

Living in a state like California you should be happy the constitution protects the will of the majority from oppressing minorities. It wouldn't work out too well for you if popularity dictated all, imagine the majority of the state voting Republicans shouldn't be allowed to run for public office.

Frankly I think those running around crying about the will of the people are full of it anyway. Had the majority voted in favor of gay marriage, they would not have simply accepted the will of the people, they'd still be doing everything they could to stop it.

The judges decision is a brilliant read for anyone interested in the facts. If I was a supporter of prop 8 I'd be embarrassed by the defense. They completely failed to present any evidence as to why gays should be denied the right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Comment

When this question was brought up in Massachusetts, I voted for Civil Unions for the very reasons brought up in this thread. As far as the governments are concerned, a marriage is nothing more than a couple filing taxes jointly, and legal rights to the couple's combined property. In my own opinion, marriage is a religious issue where the governments need to be kept out of it completely. If a gay couple wants to get married, then take it up with the church where such issues belong, don't drop this fecal matter on our governments' door they are much larger and more significant issues to deal with then dealing with personal matters.

Comment

The will of the majority was never intended to be able to reduce the rights of the minority.

If allowing gay marriage somehow reduced the rights of heterosexuals, you'd have an argument for the will of the majority.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I'm with Frankie. When we are facing the problems that we are this one is a non issue. It's just one more thing to take peoples minds off the real issues.
            However. Marriage is a "religious" concept or tenant. Sanctioned and carried out by various religions. Not being a religious scholar I have no idea how many religions sanction marriage as the union of a man and a woman but It has to be most of them. Civil union though is a completely different thing and well within the purview of governments to regulate. I see no reason why gays can not or should not be afforded the right to be joined as a couple and enjoy the misery along with the rest of us In all these discussions though it is important that no greater or differing rights be granted any one sector of the population. Every citizen should be afforded the same rights and opportunities as his neighbor. This is why strict constitutionalists have historically been against such things as affirmative action programs that while on the face of it seem to level the playing field for minorities, in fact, they do just the opposite. But that is an issue for another thread.
            sigpic

Comment

I just had to say that "The Ridgid Forum" is a place that continues to impress me! The fact that we can have such threads and express differing opinions in such intelligent and respectful ways is refreshing. Dirty hands feels the vote was taken and the answer given, and I understand his point as well as those who posted in response. Great bunch of folks!

Comment

Fellow California residents: Well, since Prop. 8 will likely be overturned, all we have to do is wait until Prop. 19 passes and everyone will be too stoned to care one way or another.
                Ern

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
                  Fellow California residents: Well, since Prop. 8 will likely be overturned, all we have to do is wait until Prop. 19 passes and everyone will be too stoned to care one way or another.
                  Ern
                  Well,
                  I guess there are going to be a lot of stoned "Who cares".Good for them.

For me...This country is losing more and more of it's moral fiber.

I appreciate the boards opinion.

I disagree
                  I do not approve.

Thank you guys
                  Adam

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Well,
                    I guess there are going to be a lot of stoned "Who cares".Good for them.

For me...This country is losing more and more of it's moral fiber.

I appreciate the boards opinion.

I disagree
                    I do not approve.

Thank you guys
                    Adam
                    Legalise "Mary Jane", and the country will get all the "fiber" it needs.

Edit:
                    Also, as of today, I discovered something while at a town hall today. The state of Massachusetts no longer uses the terms "Bride" and "Groom" on their marriage licenses. It is now "Party A" and "Party B".
                    Last edited by tailgunner; 08-11-2010, 08:05 PM.

Comment

The problem is most I know approved of Civil Unions and once we got Civil Union they pushed for Same-Sex Marriage. Had I known that was how it was going to be played out I would have never been for Civil Union.

They can call them what they want but I will never consider it or recognize it as a Marriage.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Tell you what, as depressing as I have often demonstrate to be, I can have a sense of humor too, *cough*disturbing*coughcough*

Smile!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          The problem is most I know approved of Civil Unions and once we got Civil Union they pushed for Same-Sex Marriage. Had I known that was how it was going to be played out I would have never been for Civil Union.

They can call them what they want but I will never consider it or recognize it as a Marriage.

Mark
                          Mark, I've been married twenty seven years and from what I've seen of most straight marriages I would say they are disgraceful. I don't see gay marriage as a threat to morality or the sanctity of marriage, the threat is straight couples! My wife and I argue, but have remained faithful unlike most of the other married couples I have known. Abuse, neglect, cheating, and divorce are our enemies. I feel most sorry for all the children, mine included! If we divorce they are from broken homes and get shuffled back and forth, if we remain together and fight, the children suffer a different hurt.

I welcome gays the opportunity to be married and faithful. The opportunity to love and raise children. I sincerely wish them all the luck in the world. More than half our straight marriages end in failure and of the remaining there is probably a high percentage that are failed but cannot for some reason divorce. We really can't be proud of those facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            Mark, I've been married twenty seven years and from what I've seen of most straight marriages I would say they are disgraceful. I don't see gay marriage as a threat to morality or the sanctity of marriage, the threat is straight couples! My wife and I argue, but have remained faithful unlike most of the other married couples I have known. Abuse, neglect, cheating, and divorce are our enemies. I feel most sorry for all the children, mine included! If we divorce they are from broken homes and get shuffled back and forth, if we remain together and fight, the children suffer a different hurt.

I welcome gays the opportunity to be married and faithful. The opportunity to love and raise children. I sincerely wish them all the luck in the world. More than half our straight marriages end in failure and of the remaining there is probably a high percentage that are failed but cannot for some reason divorce. We really can't be proud of those facts.
                            I will be married 40-years in January and all I can tell you is if what you've seen of most straight marriages is disgraceful you need to start hanging out with a better crowd. I am not threatened by what they call gay marriage but I don't call my toaster a sub-machine gun either.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i have lots of gay customers. it's always obvious when they call to sch work and say they;re not going to be home, but their partner will be.

typically they have money and can afford real work and not throw it together and make it work.

only 1 time many, many years ago did i have an issue with the guys at a call. i locked myself in the bathroom to escape their nakedness when i arrived.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X