X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 151 tubing cutters

I have the newer version of these cutters,the one with the ez release pin.Anyway,the slide bar that the pin slides into is damaged where the pin holds the cutter wheel.The pin keeps coming out when I cut copper and the wheel is so loose and sloppy that it makes the cutters walk when cutting copper.How do I go about getting them fixed or replaced?

Re: Ridgid 151 tubing cutters

Buy a new one?

BTW the 151's are pretty much junk. Even if you fix it, it will just break again.
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah,they are junk! They do have a Lifetime Warranty tho.I just need to know if I have to send them back to Ridgid or find a Ridgid service center to have them fixed or replaced.

Comment

i doubt that the pins, rollers, cutters and clips are a lifetime warranty. typically those are considered a wear and tear item.

usually the supply house you buy from will hold onto them until the ridgid rep comes in to make a determination. you probably would be without them unless you know what day they call on the supply house.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

When a tubing cutter I had for a couple years broke, I asked a few of the Ridgid dealers around here and they pretty well said buy a new one.

Just for fun, I called Ridgid. They told me I could take it to ANY dealer and get it replaced for free.

After getting told to pound sand by 3 of them, I tried Homealone Depot.

They gave me a new one

That's about all I have to say about HD that's nice, but I did get my cutter replaced.

Comment

I went to Homealone Depot.They stopped selling this type of cutter.

Comment

i have this cutter and i love it
              i would try to get the parts or get them to replace it
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I know its annoying when a tool does not perform as you thought it should or something brakes on it but expecting a life long warranty even though Ridgid says so is rubbish a twelve month warranty yes, I don`t know how it works in the US but whatever tool I buy for my business is tax deductable and depending on the total cost can be written off over a number of years so really it costs me nothing.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by BlueOvalFitter View Post
                  I have the newer version of these cutters,the one with the ez release pin.Anyway,the slide bar that the pin slides into is damaged where the pin holds the cutter wheel.The pin keeps coming out when I cut copper and the wheel is so loose and sloppy that it makes the cutters walk when cutting copper.How do I go about getting them fixed or replaced?
                  How did it get damaged? Did you drop it off a scaffold onto concrete? Run over it? If so, sorry but it doesn't seem you're owed anything. Parts breakdowns are available here.

Or did it just wear rapidly? If so, then a dealer should make it right. Period. None of these "exclusions" should apply in such a short term. I'll say again-a dealer should make it right. A territorial manager should not be required to look at these for approval. The dealer can call their areas rep and he/she would probably make a determination over the phone.

If the rep wants to waste everyones time by asking to see them, send a picture to their phone or email address. But really, if it wore that quickly, it should be a no brainer.

When I worked at a supply house that was a Ridgid dealer, I saw rollers, pins, and clips given without question. Wear item or not, it was good customer service at a negligible price for what they got back. Wheels were not given....and in the majority the guys did not ask for them for free. Kind of a common sense wear item whereas rollers, pins, clips last a much longer time.

I also held the FAX in my hand from Ridgid with the no-question-dollar amount that was given to the end dealers' discretion about things such as this. (I think it was $30.00 at the time. Above that needed a regional reps approval)

Again though, if you damaged it, you fix it.

J.C.

Comment

I wish that were the case here.

We have several dealers here, but none of them are any help with warranty issues.

Or product knowledge for that matter.

The local Fergy here will take stuff and get you a new one, as well as CHARGE your account. IF and when someone determines that there is a valid warranty issue, supposedly they will credit your account.

As such, I only buy certain Ridgid tools.

I bought a General drum machine because I didn't want to deal with that crap (I now wish I had not done that).

I can only speak for my area, but the dealers are the weak link for sure.

As for the cutter....

JC is spot-on IMO.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      How did it get damaged? Did you drop it off a scaffold onto concrete? Run over it? If so, sorry but it doesn't seem you're owed anything. Parts breakdowns are available here.

Or did it just wear rapidly?
                      Did you fall from a scaffold or get run over before you replied to this?
                      They did wear rapidly.Ive had them for just under 2 years.I had the older version of these for over 10 years.I let a "plumber " borrow them and he snapped the knob pin.I took them into Homealone Depot and they replaced them "FREE" with the current POS ones I have now.And,HD does not carry them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueOvalFitter View Post
                        Did you fall from a scaffold or get run over before you replied to this?
                        They did wear rapidly.Ive had them for just under 2 years.I had the older version of these for over 10 years.I let a "plumber " borrow them and he snapped the knob pin.I took them into Homealone Depot and they replaced them "FREE" with the current POS ones I have now.And,HD does not carry them anymore.
                        No. I did not. I also did not recall you stating how they were "damaged". You saying damaged made me think.....damaged. Not worn.

Too bad they've decreased quality. Might have to try a Reed or Rothenberger.

J.C.

Comment

Sorry for that response.We are pipng vav's at work rite now and I don't like using #10s,15s,or even 20s.I do like the 151s ratchet action.I really miss my old 151s.

Comment

Working...
                          X