Something Completely different

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something Completely different

The Wife and I are considering a move in a couple of years. Sweden keeps coming up for a variety of reasons, But when looking at houses and apartments i'm finding that they do things considerably different there.

The most obvious thing is that in a lot of cases the plumbing is bent chrome running on the outside of the walls.
    Also, a lot of the showers lack a threshold, it's just a floor drain in a corner, usually a curtain to keep the toilet and lav from getting soaked.

or the people that have a tub installed. it just sits in the area where the shower would be, and gets piped over to the floor drain

In short, it looks like a lot of completely different things to get used to.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: Something Completely different

Yes, seen it. Not in person though. Somebody's gotta' ask....why Sweden?

Interestingly enough, one of my customers just moved too.....Sweden!

Works for Cisco.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Somebody's gotta' ask....why Sweden?

J.C.

I hate warm weather.
      College will be free for the kid
      Nationwide public transportation.
      it's a politically neutral country
      Swedish blondes
      the laplands.
      Plumbers are on the shortlist of people they need.
      The cost of living is reasonable.
      and it's in a great position for me to see the rest of europe.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
        I hate warm weather.
        College will be free for the kid
        Nationwide public transportation.
        it's a politically neutral country
        Swedish blondes
        the laplands.
        Plumbers are on the shortlist of people they need.
        The cost of living is reasonable.
        and it's in a great position for me to see the rest of europe.
        Gotcha'. Nothing really pushing you there. Sounds like for a new and great experience to pursue.

Seems like I recall a tax rate close to 40%-50%. However, as you state, many more services are provided.

I posted a thread awhile back showing the EU version of an apprentice competition. I noticed also they used bending ALOT more and are probably much better than most of us at it.

Might be better all the way around. No joint and longer sweep. Makes sense to me.

J.C.

Comment

It will take some time getting used to Plumbing their way over there, but I think it will make you a more well rounded Plumber then most.

From these pictures you posted..I would pull my hair out having to run water lines like that on finished walls.

I've been all over Europe..and I had a blast.

Comment

from what I read at 50k "USD" per year, its a 56% tax rate.

Comment

I like the shower.

Don't much care for the bottle s-trap. And the tub is azz to me.

J.C.

Comment

seems like mildew would be an issue behind the tub. Guess that's why it's a clawfoot, so air can move around it.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                  seems like mildew would be an issue behind the tub. Guess that's why it's a clawfoot, so air can move around it.
                  I saw one where the tub "rolled" away from the wall when and if one wanted to clean around there.

J.C.

Comment

The electrical can get rather interesting too. I remember on a few deployments overseas, I had to remindmyself on many occasions that a 240 volt circuit to them still has a neutral. Not to mention a completly different color coding, and different gauge to their wires, leaving my American wire strippers nearly useless.

Comment

don't forget to drive your volvo and use it to pick up your ikea, assemble it yourself furniture

for me, it's new zealand

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick

New Zealand is definitely a beautiful choice. However you will be disappointed becasue most of yor neibours wont be Kiwis. Most of tehm are over here on the mainland sponging off our great social security system and chasing our sheep...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will get teh blood moving in some Kiwi veins I bet.

Comment

And don't forget to bring Your own cabinets for your rental! They hang on cant strips,for removal !! We have a Swedish cabinetmaker as a friend.
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                            Rick

New Zealand is definitely a beautiful choice. However you will be disappointed becasue most of yor neibours wont be Kiwis. Most of tehm are over here on the mainland sponging off our great social security system and chasing our sheep...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will get teh blood moving in some Kiwi veins I bet.
                            I see you have the same problem we're having here.

One thing...
                            Your imposing element counts to approximately 4,000,000

We got 120,000,000 jumping the fences to get at our sheep,dogs,cats and to not say the least of our income.

Comment

If you live there long enough, you'll sound like this guy.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/27784/..._swedish_chef/

Comment

Working...
                              X