X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Last Vacation?

I have not been on a vacation with my wife and daughters in several years. I protest that with our expenses and debt, I can't justify the added outlay of more money we just don't have. I broke down this part weekend and took a two night, three day trip to Newport RI. I tried my best to not get upset as our money flowed like water from a broken jug. Twenty dollars to park your car for dinner and twenty to park your car to use the public beaches, which cost five dollars per person, per day!

Newport, in my opinion is a place for the wealthy, a fantasy land insulated from the stark reality facing much of the country. On our last day, we went to the beach and paid our fair share to sit on the crowded sand packed like sardines even when playing in the waves.

I remember beaches as uncrowded, free for all seeking to splash around or get a tan. What happened, when did all our beautiful open shores go on lock down? Well, I didn't enjoy myself and I told my wife I'll pass on another such vacation. I'm fine with the above ground pool in my backyard, and my local beach when the ecoli count is not dangerously high. God Bless America.

Re: My Last Vacation?

You can't think like that.

Being with family and spending quality time is priceless. When you leave this earth, you can't take the money with you, as the only thing you can take is your memories.

Tell the wife to pick a more budget friendly vacation experience so you can enjoy it more..which will make everyone happy.

Comment

if it wasn't for a vacation/ new zealand there would be no phoebe

wait till you go to a professional sporting event

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Franki,

Let's face it man, you simply can't go back! America... is NOT the same as it was EVER. It wasn't the same for my grandfather, for my father, or for me and you. You can not look at a place with fond rememberances and then think you can return to it decades or even years later and find it to still be the same.

I was just looking at the news tonight and the footage of Hatterus. I was there in October of 1965. Had my brand new VW and took my first solo vacation. I spent several days "camping" there and it was fantastic. From Kittyhawk all the way down to the Hatterus lighthouse it was one long, beautiful expanse of white sand and very little else. I said to my cousin, who I had picked up in Rockymount, why it was so barren (and absolutely beautiful that way). The reason of course was because the outer banks was left to the forces of nature every winter and off the Carolina shoals there were more shipwrecks than any other place in the world, because of those winter weather storms. "NO FOOL WOULD EVER BUILD ANYTHING ON THE OUTER BANKS!"

Well, now it's almost wall to wall motels, houses, restaurants, etc. There's money to be made! And that is what America is all about... should you desire to visit the popular vacation places. Nothing is the same for any generation, here in America. We have little pride in our national heritage and those things that can be changed for the sake of profit, will be changed.

So I take little comfort in vacations... at least those that seem to be the popular hot spots. I still love Gettysburg, walking some of the many trails here in NY, and often just sitting in a restaurant with family and friends or having a picnic at some of the less crowed state parks. Museums are great, and some of the small town one's offer some pleasant surprises. There's also regional events, like historic air shows, re-inactments, or just a cruise to a small village like Cooperstown, Tupper Lake, and/or those places in your region of the country that has a good restaurant and a nice hotel or bed and breakfast.

Our son take three or four of these "grand" vacations every year, always to another "hot" tourist spot. He seems to spend a lot of money, and nobody ever seems to really enjoy themselves. A few weeks ago, my 11 year old grandson was lamenting about how he'd much rather just stay home and play with his friends! I guess we all have to do our own "mental" thing... vacation is where you make it.

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 09-02-2010, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Never understood people who take vacations on crowded beaches or at amusement parks.

To me a vacation is getting away from the masses. I found a nice little state park 10,000 feet above sea level in Colorado. You can camp or rent a cabin for a fraction of what you pay for a hotel on the ocean front, and have a real vacation.

James

Comment

Thanks to all for the accurate observations. My first daughter was conceived when my wife and I vacationed at a club med on bermuda. Flux, you are right that you can't take it with you, it's just that were are digging our financial hole deeper. I figure why can't we enjoy being together at home with all we have right here? There are plenty of folks who come to my town to vacation.

Very true that America has changed and there's no going back, but dam it's gotten so expensive. There's no going back with a lot of things. I still miss the intimate, romantic vacations with my wife. Now I have my grown daughters banging on the door between our rooms and maid service at the front door trying to force their way inside...I think it's a conspiracy

Comment

Frank, please don't get down on vacations. There is huge value, IMO, to some alone time with the family away from the rat race and all its pressures.

But it's also true that you don't have to spend like an oil billionaire to have a great vacation. You can get away, do it on the cheap, and still have a great time. There are still a lot of free or cheap attractions and activities, and the internet makes it easier to find them. Note I said "easier"... not easy. It still takes time and some work. But it's out there. The USA is a great place to travel and visit, at least on a par with anyplace in the world and probably, realistically, better! You CAN spend a boatload... but you don't have to!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                Flux, you are right that you can't take it with you, it's just that were are digging our financial hole deeper. I figure why can't we enjoy being together at home with all we have right here? There are plenty of folks who come to my town to vacation.
                My fiance breaks my shoes sometimes about taking vacations. I agree on the money issue, as I'm sure you don't live beyond your means like I don't. I'm the type who would rather have the money saved than borrowing from a credit card or other means.

I'm a homebody as well, and would rather have a nice place with a killer back yard to relax around with the family. But I also know that I need to compromise with the fiance or it will look selfish on my part. It's extremely hard to take vacations when you're self employed, and my fiance is finally understanding that.

My fiance sometimes has champaign tastes on a beer budget, when it comes to vacations. I have to be the voice of reason with her sometimes, or I would be in the outhouse real quickly.

I'm sure you and your wife can come to some type of compromise. In the end, all that matters is that you and your family are together enjoying quality time away from everyday life.

Comment

Everyone's situation is different, and although I'm retired and not held to any schedule my wife is stressed to the limit. She works for a small law firm and as other workers have retired, rather than replace them, her bosses keep piling more and more work on her. She can't plan a vacation, and has to grab a couple days without much notice which makes things difficult. She also is in charge of her father's affairs, ( three family house, caregivers, finances) and that adds some tricky variables to the equation. Then there are our two daughters ages 17 and 23 who have their own schedules.

The whole thing becomes more of a stressful event than a relaxing, bonding experience.

Comment

A vacation is as much in the mind and heart as the location you actually are at.

J.C.

Comment

Im happy going 12 mi out of town to the family farm
                      Its my weekend get a way

Comment

the last 2 years, some of us took a vacation in elyria, ohio

like going to disneyland

lets start planning the next trip. phoebe needs a vacation

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

On the other end of the spectrum, we had our first family vacation this weekend. We went to an aquarium (Atlantis Marine World) on Monday and on Tuesday we went to a water park (Splish Splash), both in Riverhead, NY. Monday night we stayed in Port Jefferson at Danford's where we got married. In two days we spent about $600. I had to try hard not to let it bother me, but in the end was able to ignore it as not to be grouchy. The admission for each place was basically $100 for the four of us, and it is pretty difficult to get great value out of that with a 3 and 4 year old, since they can't handle much more than about 10AM-2PM at each place. They did have a lot of fun though at the aquarium, getting to feed sting rays and then picking up crabs and other animals in the "salt marsh". At Splish Splash, the kiddie cove with the slides at the water park was a hit (otherwise we only went on 3 rides in about 4 hours). When I went as a kid, I would have been there from 10-6 and gone on dozens of rides, this time I didn't go on any of the new rides (I haven't been there in 5 years); or Cliff Diver which was my favorite one.

The important thing to realize is that the vacation was for the kids and not me, and seeing them have fun was the goal. Having an argument about the money with my wife wouldn't have contributed to that; and thankfully we can afford it so wouldn't serve any good long-term purpose.

It was also nice to see my kids play on the same playground that I did when I was a kid. Though the 'rocket ship' in Rocket Ship park is no longer recognizable as a rocket ship, unless you know it is supposed to be a rocket ship. When I was a kid, it was much skinnier, had fins, and a clear nose cone, so it was obviously a rocket ship. The current design certainly hearkens back to what I'm used, but it is much fatter and has no fins so if you know that the 3 level play structure is meant to be a rocket ship you see it; otherwise you won't.

It did get me thinking about how different things were since I was a kid; and driving between Port Jeff and Riverhead was pretty nice with lots of farm land (a significant amount of it being sod farms). Though the "Land for Sale" sign I saw is somehow disappointing. The place I grew up used to be farms, but I'm glad it was turned into houses for me to live in. When you're a kid or early teenager seems kind of seem like they were always the way they were (even though the schools I went to were only built about 10 years before I was born). Before that they would have been farms or forests. Just thinking about the last 6 years since I moved away, the woods at the end of my parents street have added 40-50 houses and there are another 10 down a cross street. Wal-Mart, BJs, Best Buy, Target, and a bunch of other things also replaced woods while I was in high school. So, I've come to the realization that even if my kids see 'Where I grew up', it won't actually be 'Where I grew up' anymore.

Comment

Working...
                          X