Gun Show tomorrow and I need a new handgun

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gun Show tomorrow and I need a new handgun

I picked up a new Rock Island 1911 compact chambered for .45 acp, an extra stainless magazine and a holster for $440.00. I stopped on the way home and put 50 rounds through it and I like it. It has fixed sights so I will be upgrading them over the next couple of weeks. Other then being loud I think I have found myself a fun shooter.

Comment

If you buy used, 500 bucks should cover a lot of ground. You mentioned 9mm and while not my favorite round, the Baretta 99 is an accurate, comfortable gun to shoot. In a revolver, I like the Colt Python because its versatile. In a small caliber say .22 High Standard, ruger and colt all make some real fine and fun shooters. Don't overlook black Powder either. A quality cap and ball revolver is a ball to shoot and cheap too.
      sigpic

Comment

I spent about 45 minutes learning how to filed strip my new 1911 compact. It's a different process then a standard size .45 acp, no barrel bushing. It's a pretty slick design and all I needed was a paper clip to break it down and put it back together.

The Rock Island compact impressed me today with the first 8 round clip I fired. It points well and I was bouncing a plastic jug all over the quarry at about 70 feet with a one-handed grip. With a two-handed grip and using the sights it likes to shoot quite a bit low and/or just a bit high when compensating for the low rounds.

The front sight is fixed and the rear sight is dovetailed...I will improve the sights on the new gun. I haven't decided yet if I am going to paint the top of the blade on the front sight and add a good quality adjustable rear sight or go with a laser sight. Either way or maybe both...but a sight improvement is certainly needed.

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
          Another Smith 686 fan here, although mine has the six inch barrel, and I mounted Millett target sights on it.

I have a few autoloaders, but they are all .22, and all High Standards.

You lucky puppy

Every High Standard I ever owned was a shooter.

James

Comment

Working...
          X