Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama Announcement

Originally posted by Flux View Post
    I would MUCH rather have Palin with launch codes, than this turkey we have now.
    I will defend your right to think whatever and support whomever you choose. I do think Obama is ill suited to the task. But I do pray that you are rare in your thinking that Palin has any business even getting close to that office.

How does a racist and a man with ties to terrorists (Bill Ayers etc.) win a Presidential election? Obama should of been investigated by the F.B.I. for the people he associated himself with in the past. .
    I have no idea. We've never seen that happen. Obama has done many things that don't sit well with me but he has done nothing that I consider racist. Going to church and listening to someone else spout racist comments doesn't make one a racist. There was a fellow in an office next door to me years ago. He hated Jews and thought Hitler had the right idea. We worked together, and I was treated to his opinions on a few occasions. By your logic, that makes me a Nazi.

BTW, Obama most likely was investigated by the FBI. What's even more demanding is that he had the Republican Party working overtime to trump up something that they could use against him. The Repubs are the masters of this. They didn't come up with much, did they?

If Obama was a regular citizen, he never woulld of got into the F.B.I. because of his background..and that's a fact. But yet he won an election, and we put him into one of the most sacred offices in the country? lol Unbelievable!!
    I don't know if your "fact" is a fact or not.

Yes, he won an election and we assumed the office. That's how it works here.

I am not an Obama supporter, but please point out ONE single case where Obama has acted in any way that confirms him as being a racist or terrorist sympathizer.

You are just attacking a person's character.

Palin bailed out on Alaska..is that how it went?
    Yes.

I didn't realize she wasn't allowed to leave on her own terms to better herself politically.
    She is allowed.

It is just a chickensh*t thing to do after you make a bunch of promises and commit to a state to get half way through, most of which time she was busy making a fool out herself running for VP, and then up and quit.

Since when does she need to approval of the American people with what she does for her own career?
    She doesn't need their approval to resign her position. She needs their approval to get elected to another position. She won't get mine.

She stepped down so she could be more of an attack dog and line herself up to make a run at the Presidency in 2012. Last time I looked..there is nothing wrong with that.
    I understand why she did it.

There is something wrong with it. Many others have met their obigations to the folks that elected them to office and still run for another office. It happens all the time. What she did was confirm that she has no allegiance to anyone except herself.

Have you not left a job in your life to better yourself? Or shall I say... did you bail on your fellow workers for your own personal gain?
    I have on several occasions left jobs. I left them after the program was done. I never have taken a job by committing to get something done and then bailed before I met my obligation. Not once. I take it you have?

Obama is nothing more than a Novelty...and you voted for that.
    And Palin is not a novelty? The difference is that Palin has already worn out.

You helped put a racist and a man tied to terrorist's into the white house..how does that make you feel now?
    I didn't. We don't have a racist or a man tied to terrorists in the White House.

I see you obviously want him out now..but to me that tells me you didn't know what the heck you were voting for. Everything is well documented on this guy..and that was acceptable to you?
    I selected the lesser of two evils. I remain convinced that McCain was poorly suited to be President. And I reject Palin being one heartbeat away from the Presidency.

I want Obama out because I don't support his policies or his actions. It has nothing to do with your allegations of racism or terrorist ties - neither of which stands up to scrutiny.

So it was either the war hero and woman with executive experience versus..a community organizer - racist - and ties to terrorists, and a blowhard senator from Delaware that most of the Democratic party didn't even like. Which one makes more sense to you?
    I think the choice was somewhat different. The Repubs offered an elderly man with no new ideas who supported Bush's war (which I have always been against) and presented nothing really different from the previous dismal administration. THey topped it off with an inept, totally unqualified VP who was selected strictly to appeal to women voters. The Demos offered someone that at least spoke of change, although his idea of change has been less than satisfactory. Bush did more harm in 8 years than any president I can remember (even Carter), and McCain held the promise of more of the same. ANother dose of that made absolutely no sense whatsoever, and the majority of Americans apparently agreed.

I'm glad to see that the people who voted for this clown, is showing America's children that it's OK to be a racist and terrorist.
    This statement is absurd on so many levels it doesn't merit a response.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Whoa! Almost wish I didn't start this thread.

J.C.
      J.C., This thread like many seemed like a good idea at the time. Here is another idea that seemed to make a lot of sense, until...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BlHY69ZsZ0

Comment

Was I the only person in the entire country that voted for Nader?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          It seems as though many of us agree that things would not be much different if John McCain had won the Presidency. I ask the Forum, if neither party has a solution to our unsecured borders, rising debt, growing unemployment and other serious problems, are we headed for a depression?
          Looking in from the outside your whole economic system is crap and your bankers should have been publicly hung and all their assets taken for what they did but they are still there running the same old scams with a different name and you the tax payer are paying in it.
          If I buy a home in Australia and I carn't pay for it the bank foreclose and I am still responsible for the amount I borrowed until I die or go bankrupt and that is the last thing I would want to do and just handing in the keys dosen't cancel my debt as I read that is the case in the US.
          Even if Jesus Christ was the President you still be in the crisis your in now you have been living beyond your means and won,t admit it and until you do and pay back what you owe instead of printing more money then I am sorry it will just get worse until that depression runs you down and then the whole world.

Tony

Comment

That $50 billion looks like another Union (s) pay out.

Comment

From a much earlier post:

How can you have a recovery without jobs?
              You can IF they are not US jobs, or IF it is due to increases in productivity of individual workers, and not from hiring more workers or working overtime, or IF you have increased your profit ratio by selling something today for more than it sold for yesterday or by giving less value than you did the day before (ie, reduced quality or quantity for the same price yields an increase in profits).

If you get workers (union or not doesn't matter) so scared that you will move their jobs overseas unless they agree to give back some hard won benefit or take a reduction in pay then you have a "recovery" of sorts. Profits are UP, dividends are being paid, stockholders are happy, but the poor worker has less than he did 5 years ago to live on.

Reduce government spending.....LAY OFF ALL IRS EMPLOYEES, that will save billions and billions year after year.

Everyone earning more than 150% of the poverty level pays a flat 10% tax deducted every week form your pay. No loopholes, no paperwork, no April 15 filing deadline required. Employer sends 10% to Uncle Sam and that's it. everybody from Bill Gates to any one of us pays a flat 10%.

Take the ability of Congress to vote their own pay raises away, they work for US and WE should decide their salary and benefits AND if they get to keep them when they leave office.

Now take all those IRS employees and retrain them to work for the FDA, Border Patrol, INS, and other government agencies that are understaffed. Now you can do more and proper inspections of food and other products brought into this country from abroad and REJECT those products that don't make the grade AND keep those undesirables out of the USA. If they want to come here and work then let them do it through the proper channels otherwise go home.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

You can IF they are not US jobs, or IF it is due to increases in productivity of individual workers, and not from hiring more workers or working overtime, or IF you have increased your profit ratio by selling something today for more than it sold for yesterday or by giving less value than you did the day before (ie, reduced quality or quantity for the same price yields an increase in profits).

If you get workers (union or not doesn't matter) so scared that you will move their jobs overseas unless they agree to give back some hard won benefit or take a reduction in pay then you have a "recovery" of sorts. Profits are UP, dividends are being paid, stockholders are happy, but the poor worker has less than he did 5 years ago to live on.
                What you're describing isn't a recovery, it's increased profits for individual employers that are beating the tar out of their (remaining) employees. Nothing you described will "recover" the lost income and this lost spending for the actual 12-20% of Americans that are out of work. None of it will recover the complete industries that move offshore or the myriad small businesses that have gone under in the past few years. None of it will replace the new business starts that people are foregoing because the economic situation is too dicey, or the buildings and homes that are not being built or renovated because the economy is too weak to support such investments.

The so-called "jobless recovery" is a not about a percentage point of increased productivity or a reduction in benefits. It's primarily an accounting trick driven by the Federal Reserve printing currency and keeping the interest rate near zero. Also, the government extended unemployment benefits for job-loss victims to 88 weeks (if I remember correctly) and increasing their benefit by about 108 buck a month (Part of Obama stimulus). 88 weeks! The government is paying people nearly $12 an hour to sit at home and watch Oprah for a year and a half!!! Where do you suppose that money is coming from?

That's your jobless recovery.

The flat tax is a good idea that has been around in some form or another for thirty years. BTW, 10% isn't the number - it will need to be higher. But the notion will never happen. Most think that this is because the RICH don't want it. The problem is that the 40 percent of American households at the LOW end of the income spectrum pay NOTHING in income tax. Another significant group just above that pays very little. Combine these two and you have a majority (siugnificant) of Americans that pay far less than your flat tax rate. It's the lower half of Americans that will never let the flat tax happen.

On top of that, huge numbers of people have made investment decisions, including - significantly - home purchases, based on tax planning. If you want to see the housing marker REALLY collapse, just go to a flat tax with no mortgage deduction. Without the mortgage interest or property tax deductions, the current forclosure situation in the US will look like a slice of heaven. For many people, especially those in expensive real estate markets like New England or California, homes are their primary savings account. Now, as it is, with Social Security predicting that a retirees benefit will only be 70 percent or less of what SS should pay (already painfully little), if we decimate the housing market, what will happen to those people? Do they deserve that screwing? It's not like they bought homes they couldn't afford (like many of the current foreclosure victims) or made poor mortgages to reap quick profits (like the banks).... all these folks did was PLAY BY THE RULES! So, no I don't support a flat tax. It's one of those ideas that sounds good at first, and would have been a good thing... but at this point the damage it would cause would be absolutely HUGE. Just not practical.

As for IRS agents and politicians salaries... unfortunately it will have almost no effect. The numbers are so big, when we talk the US budget problem, that cutting spending is not going to make a hill of beans of difference. Right now today, the budget is dominated by NON-DISCRETIONARY line items -- like defense, social security and medicare. I'm not saying that we don't need to cut waste, and there is a lot to cut, but the time to do it was thirty years ago. Cutting expenses sounds good and whatever political party is OUT of power will always claim that they will do so... but it's all for show. The problem is so huge that there isn't enough there to actually cut to matter.

The ONLY solution to the problem -- and this is not rocket science -- is for the United States to start growing its economy substantially and balance trade. We have to start to move toward exporting more than we import. This will put people to work AND increase the tax base. Right now today, the Unites States, by FAR the largest consumer country in history, is FUNDING THE METEORIC GROWTH OF CHINA. THat means YOU and me.... every time we buy something that was made there.

Hello, America!!! Time to wake up!!! We need to start funding OUR OWN GROWTH. That means spend your bucks AT HOME. And if you can't afford it, then don't buy anything until you can. SAVE MONEY. For years we Americans were lambasted for our low rate of personal saving... now suddenly we're being encouraged to spend! Why??? The money isn't helping US, it is going to CHINA. Those doing the ecouraging are RAISING RATES on consumer credit. Of course they want you to spend! These are the same guys that offered subprime mortgages to people that had no business buying houses...That give credit cards away to everyone and then jack the rates up top 29%... That artificially hold the interest on savings at 1% so that you will be forced in to riskier investments (that really help mostly the brokerages and investment banks).... that promoted the 401K and IRA programs which funneled TRILLIONS into the stock market and are the largest single reason for the stock market bubble.....

So you should believe them when the tell you to spend??

The Government's jobless recovery is killing us.
                Last edited by Andy_M; 09-09-2010, 10:58 PM.

Comment

The IRS agent's salaries would have no effect (actually a revenue agent would improve the federal budget situation); but if you eliminate the IRS you eliminate a lot of dead weight. Not only would you get rid of cost of the IRS, but all the tax software, and plenty of paid preparers and/or accountants. A complex tax system creates no value, but does sap value from other parts of the economy.

Comment

Working...
                  X