Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Burning Holy Books

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
    Personally I feel that the extreme right wing fundamentalist Christians are at least as great a threat to our Country as the Islamic fundamentalists.

Guy's like that are pretty easy to ignore just like the guy who is burning the Koran is.
    Last edited by Abbott; 09-09-2010, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
      Guy's like that are pretty easy to ignore just like the guy who is burning the Koran is.
      I think it's a king-sized mistake to ignore them.

Bush 43, for instance, is well known to have strong ties to the extreme right-wingers. He served as the unofficial liaison between them and the White House during his daddy's (who was not all that close to the right wing fundamentalists, at least compared to Dubya) administration.

I believe that their agenda and support is behind many sensitive current political issues including stem cell research, abortion/right to choose, various homosexual rights issues, and very possibly the military actions in the Middle East and even the Patriot Act.

It is easy to ignore a crackpot burning a book. It is an absolutely huge mistake to ignore a group that has infiltrated the highest levels of government and is bent on imposing, through political activism, their sense of morality and vision of social engineering on this Country. It's a real threat to those of us that believe in the principles that the founding fathers laid out.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
        I think it's a king-sized mistake to ignore them.

Bush 43, for instance, is well known to have strong ties to the extreme right-wingers. He served as the unofficial liaison between them and the White House during his daddy's (who was not all that close to the right wing fundamentalists, at least compared to Dubya) administration.

I believe that their agenda and support is behind many sensitive current political issues including stem cell research, abortion/right to choose, various homosexual rights issues, and very possibly the military actions in the Middle East and even the Patriot Act.

It is easy to ignore a crackpot burning a book. It is an absolutely huge mistake to ignore a group that has infiltrated the highest levels of government and is bent on imposing, through political activism, their sense of morality and vision of social engineering on this Country. It's a real threat to those of us that believe in the principles that the founding fathers laid out.
        Good post and along those lines I think it would be in everyone's best interest to better understand the islamic faith and things such as sharia as it applies to the USA. I believe islam will become the dominant religion in the USA someday, so why be afraid to ask questions and learn? We should know if there is a political and social agenda with this religion as there is with others. Too many people here the words muslim and islam and start thinking terrorist, but while that is not accurate to the truth, there is still much to learn.

I still think it is wrong to burn any holy book and the outrage and uproar over this burning should extend to the holy books of all faiths. If you do not extend such protections and courtesy to all religions, then what is your agenda?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Now "boytyperanma" I did not defend christianity, but still question the barbaric practices of sharia and the islamic religion. Please explain how sharia and the islamic faith are good for women, and good for America???
          I think my issue with your assertion is you are applying Islamic faith as though it is practiced by only those with extremist views. When you talk about the treatment of women or barbaric practices the same can be applied to other religions as well. A consistent argument is such barbaric practices exist in most third world countries regardless of religion. Sitting back and claiming it's just a Islamic thing is ignorant.

Should I be condemning all Christian religions because in Uganda, a predominately Catholic Country(42%) followed by 40% Protestants, they believe in executing homosexuals? To me that is pretty barbaric practice.

Not all Muslims are extremist so not all of them should be treated as such.

The preacher in question isn't just attacking Muslims who believe in barbaric practices he is attacking all of Islam.

Comment

The precedent has been set on this one, they will be allowed to burn the Koran as long as they own the books. "I wonder how many copies they'll be purchasing, the publisher will laugh all the way to the bank" and very likely, they'll need to get a burn permit.

Beyond that, it shouldn't be condoned, but it also shouldn't be demonized, it's considered a form of free speech.

I do want all of you to try something, for just a day or two, don't read your usual news source, find one that's less mainstream, I use BBC, which is obviously mainstream, but they also don't have a dog in the fight for U.S. news. you'll be amazed at how little attention some of the inane stuff gets. it's refreshing.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              Beyond that, it shouldn't be condoned, but it also shouldn't be demonized, it's considered a form of free speech.
              Counter protest or 'demonizing' those actions are also free speech.

It would be wrong for the government to take legal action.

People for it or against it have an absolute right to voice their opinion.

Comment

absolutely, but on an individual basis a person has to decide if taking an action furthers their own goals, or the goals of those they disdain. Getting upset, loud, and speaking out only furthers this preachers goal of sensationalizing his church, and gaining media time. Vote with your wallet, don't go to that church, don't put up with the media that sensationalizes this sort of thing, find another source. If the media were to figure out that their viewers don't care to watch/read about this sort of thing, it'll get a quick run by on the ticker at the bottom and nothing more.

I'm not advocating action by either side in regards to this, I don't want to see legal action. I want to see people move past it and rise above it.

I also know what will really happen. Like I said in another thread, i'm ready to leave, I just have to get in a position to make it a reality.

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
                Counter protest or 'demonizing' those actions are also free speech.

It would be wrong for the government to take legal action.

People for it or against it have an absolute right to voice their opinion.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Hes just another small time bible banger preacher trying to make a name for him self ... Hes not right

Comment

I think my issue with your assertion is you are applying Islamic faith as though it is practiced by only those with extremist views. When you talk about the treatment of women or barbaric practices the same can be applied to other religions as well. A consistent argument is such barbaric practices exist in most third world countries regardless of religion. Sitting back and claiming it's just a Islamic thing is ignorant.

Should I be condemning all Christian religions because in Uganda, a predominately Catholic Country(42%) followed by 40% Protestants, they believe in executing homosexuals? To me that is pretty barbaric practice.

Not all Muslims are extremist so not all of them should be treated as such.

The preacher in question isn't just attacking Muslims who believe in barbaric practices he is attacking all of Islam.
                    Boy, I never said it was "just" a islamic thing. Be my guest and call out the rest of the bastards that rape and torture under the cloak of religious expression! I never said "all" muslims were extremists, you either assume the wrong thing or are so conditioned to expect it that you can't understand a different thought process or opinion.

One more time for the reading impaired, I am against the burning of any holy book. I do think we should better understand the religion of islam and in particular the law of sharia and how it is applied in our country.

Boy, there is the left, the right and the folks who don't buy into either. I refuse to blindly follow the left or right. I have my own thoughts, please consider having a more open mind before going on attack mode. I may be misinformed but I'm willing to listen, I am not ignorant. All the abuses, all the human rights violations offend me. All the racism and sexism, offends me. All the lies over and over again by both political parties offend me, they should offend you too.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      I do think we should better understand the religion of islam and in particular the law of sharia and how it is applied in our country.
                      When you say things like that you are speaking as if there is some legitimate fear Sharia law is being applied in our country. FOX news has been selling this theme for some time so it is understandable why someone might believe that. When our elected officials start introducing measures of Sharia law your fear might be realistic, until then it might be worth paying less attention to that and more attention to the religious extremists who are influencing our countries laws.

Comment

I Don't Give a Crap!

This whole thing is a BS issue fueled by a media hell bent on CREATING news and events. Had these self serving sycophants just ignored this jumped up nut case and his piddly 50 member congregation of whom less than half would have probably shown up for this stupididity, it would have never been blown up into and issue that is by all accounts a loose loose situation no matter what happens.

Meanwhile......... Nero fiddles
                        sigpic

Comment

When you say things like that you are speaking as if there is some legitimate fear Sharia law is being applied in our country. FOX news has been selling this theme for some time so it is understandable why someone might believe that. When our elected officials start introducing measures of Sharia law your fear might be realistic, until then it might be worth paying less attention to that and more attention to the religious extremists who are influencing our countries laws.
                          You interpret my curiosity as fear, it is a call to not be ignorant. I don't know what news you've been watching but when you attack someone like myself for asking legitimate questions you sound like a hannity clone!
                          Boy, this is a free country, I have every right to question what this religion stands for and how i'ts laws will effect our existence. I expect the islamic faith to grow very strong in the USA, and as such I would like to know more. Why not have a civil exchange and be open to information that is either reassuring or alarming?
                          P.S., I'm glad the book burning was canceled.

Comment

I have found that when discussing Islam, most folks have a very narrow base of understanding.

As angry and frustrated as you are. As tired of the inequality and hypocracy as you are. As much as you want to retaliate, the thing to remember is that your are an American and this is America and we are above all that. That is what makes this the great nation that it is. If we allow the game to be played by everyone elses rules on a muddy field then we may as well stop being Americans.
                            sigpic

Comment

Building a mosque at ground zero is an exercise in American religious freedom but burning a Koran in Florida is outrageous. As usual there is a double standard fostered by the Left and as usual they quickly try and brand those who do not agree with them as bigots and racists. It's nothing but a tactic that was fostered by Saul Alinskyas a left-wing radical and has been brought to the forefront by the Obama political machine.

The fact is Obama is a racist. He sat in Jeremiah Wright's (who is a huge racist) church for twenty years listening to him preach but like Clinton didn't inhale...Obama didn't hear. Jerimaiah Wright has said that AIDS was developed by the U.S. government to purposefully kill blacks that's a pretty darn racist statement (among many) yet the NAACP invites him to speak at their gatherings. Maybe another "Beer Summit" is in order as the White Cop surely acted stupidly. Heh, what a crock of Obama's racist manure.

I don't see the people who are having a fit about the Koran being burned shouting out when a bible or U.S. flag is burned. That certainly makes them bigots! And the few who say that they are as scared of radical Christians as they are of radical Muslims are either lying, blind and ignorant or just plain trolls looking for their 15 minutes of fame.

Comment

I believe a lot of things about Obama but I do not believe he is a racist. I believe that he is a product of his upbringing and his education. I also believe that in our own way, all of us could have been called racist at one time or another. Try as we may, we are not as tolerent as we would like. If he was a racist, his cabinet would be filled with blacks. It may be filled with radicals, but most of them are white. I think we all need to be very very careful before we brand anyone a racist.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X