X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning Holy Books

In anticipation of a FL minister burning the quran, many high profile people are up in arms. I don't want to seem petty and suggest it's a good idea considering not much objection and public outcry happens when other holy books are burned in protest. I understand this situation is different because we are dealing with folks who are serious (radical?) about their faith, and may very well respond with acts of violence against Americans.

I do think burning holy books is disrespectful, and I wish no one participated in such behavior. Perhaps the minister will relent, or perhaps those who are offended will realize theirs is not the only religion deserving of respect? I doubt the latter will happen, but it would sure be nice to hear the same folks who are so upset now do the same when it is a holy book of another faith about to be torched.

Re: Burning Holy Books

''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I listened to the pastor on Hannity yesterday. The guy is just plain ignorant and looking for his 15 minutes of fame. He could not back up a single argument for burning the Kohran and is reasons for doing it in the first place are just plain stupid. I wonder if this moron has asked himself if this is something Jezus would do
      sigpic

Comment

I'm against the burning.

I respect all faiths and have no problems with Muslims. It's the radical Muslims I have a problem with...not the Koran.

Comment

Just don't think the media should latch on to such stories and give them their 15 minutes.

I burnt some wood last winter. Better call the news and get me on 'cause I'm not respecting the environment as the wood stove isn't the most efficient.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Just don't think the media should latch on to such stories and give them their 15 minutes.

I burnt some wood last winter. Better call the news and get me on 'cause I'm not respecting the environment as the wood stove isn't the most efficient.

J.C.
            I agree somewhat.

With the 24 hr news cycle of today they have to fill it with a fair amount of nonsense. I yearn for the days of 3 major networks and a 1/2 hr. of evening news. Damn CNN

James

Comment

What Christian faith teaches intolerance?
              Not sure how 'church' licensing works in FL but if this action goes against his granted license perhaps the state should pull it!

Comment

I am not advocating the burning of any holy books, including the koran, but there is much more to this story and tolerance/intolerance. Please read up on the religion of islam and sharia, including how it is being applied in the USA. Share what you know or have learned, so we have a better understanding of this faith.

When I was a younger man, I used to say everyone's sexual preference is their business. I'm more informed now and I understand that sex with minors, folks with impaired mental capacity and other situations exist that go against my earlier beliefs. I think a religion that calls for the stoning of women and other barbaric tenants needs to be exposed. Don't burn the koran, but know who you are dealing with in America. I am concerned.

Comment

J.C.

You burned what???? WOOD!!!

As a tree worshipper I am highly insulted... where were the cameras and all the pundits and the religious leaders?

Joking of course... unless it was black walnut!

I'm in agreement with you guys, I just don't understand how burning somebody elses religious book, has anything to do with this war, terrorism, or anything beyond getting your name and picture in the news. The News itself is largely to be faulted for inflating this idiocy to such an inflamatory point too.

The guys pathetic and certainly any of those followers of his beliefs are questionable. Falls right in the there with the Rev. Wright's moments of insanity... NO religion should be preaching hate.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    I think a religion that calls for the stoning of women and other barbaric tenants needs to be exposed.
                    Jeeze Frank I didn't know you felt that way about Christianity.

The guy burning books as simply a real life troll. He does outrageous stuff because he knows an irresponsible media will notice and give him the attention he desires. No one would even know about him and his 30 friends if the nation media just left it be.

Now that the media has made a story about our leaders have no choice but to spend their time condemning the action. It is such an oversize in stupidity that could be easily be avoided if people could simply read the 'DON'T FEED THE TROLLS' signs

Comment

I don't care.

Comment

All these Muslims that are protesting the burning of the Koran, why don't they protest the radicals that have hijacked their religion? I'll bet some of them are the same ones that cheered when the towers fell. I don't think the radicals could be as effective as they are without the tacit approval of the majority.
                        When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
                          Jeeze Frank I didn't know you felt that way about Christianity.

The guy burning books as simply a real life troll. He does outrageous stuff because he knows an irresponsible media will notice and give him the attention he desires. No one would even know about him and his 30 friends if the nation media just left it be.

Now that the media has made a story about our leaders have no choice but to spend their time condemning the action. It is such an oversize in stupidity that could be easily be avoided if people could simply read the 'DON'T FEED THE TROLLS' signs
                          I'm no fan of christianity and the catholic church. Blaming women for original sin, excluding women from positions of authority does not sit well with me. That said I am not aware of any recent christian stonings. Now "boytyperanma" I did not defend christianity, but still question the barbaric practices of sharia and the islamic religion. Please explain how sharia and the islamic faith are good for women, and good for America???

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
                            'DON'T FEED THE TROLLS' signs
                            Yeah, like the people who take their lead from Obama and his ilk and quickly and systematically label those that they disagree with as bigots, racists and trolls.
                            Last edited by Abbott; 09-09-2010, 02:21 PM.

Comment

The Bible, particularly the Old Testament, contains many references to violence, stoning, eye-for-an-eye, etc. The Old Testament is the underpinning of Judaism.

The Crusades were one of the bloodiest, cruelest and brutal wars of all time, conducted by Christians as a holy war in the name of God.

Today, extreme right wing "Christian" fundamentalists are not tolerant of other viewpoints and actively campaign to secure government backing and pass laws that codify their "religious" beliefs.

There are nutjob-fundamentalists in many religions that insist in talking every word from their preferred scripture literally (although many take those words out of context) and are in fact intolerant, violent, and essentially evil.

America was founded to be tolerant, and to maintain separation of church and state. If we generalize and condemn any entire religion, which one should it be? Personally I feel that the extreme right wing fundamentalist Christians are at least as great a threat to our Country as the Islamic fundamentalists. They aren't flying airplanes into buildings but they have attacked abortion clinics and killed people, just the same. And in my view they are attempting to circumvent separation of church and state from within through their political efforts.

Scriptures were not written by God, they were written by men. As such, they embody social, political and legal concepts representative of the thinking prevalent at the time of the writing. Most responsible religious leaders understand this and do not support strict literal interpretation of scripture. For example, the Catholic Church came out (quite some time ago - late 50's or early 60s if I recall correctly) officially accepting the "big bang" theory of the creation of the universe as being fully consistent with biblical creation. Even though clearly this means that they do not believe it is necessary to insist that occurred in 6 days nor that it happened in the order specified in the Bible. On the other hand, there are fundamentalist Creationists that interpret Genesis perfectly literally and therefore insist that creation did occur exactly as written.

The problem is not that any religion is bad. The problem is that some people are bad. They use religion - not just Islam - as a path and springboard to achieving their own twisted objectives. Sadly, history shows that there has never been a shortage of numbskulls ready to follow these loons. I mean really.... who in his right mind would actually want 72 virgins.... can you imagine the credit card bill??

I've worked with a number of persons that follow Islam. I have never met one that supported the terrorist activities. Many of them are deeply ashamed and pained, just like many Christians would have been had we been around during the time of the Crusades. The idiot burning the book is another bad guy using religion for his own purposes.

Comment

Working...
                              X