X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Another One!

I just read and article in my Sunday News titled "Death of a light bulb", seems the last G.E. bulb making factory in the USA is closing down. they made ordinary incandescent bulbs and buy an act of congress in 2007 these bulbs will be outlawed. You can guess where all the replacement compact fluorescent bulbs will be made? That's right communist china!

The good news is that the fellow who owns the largest factory in china is planning to open one here someday. He knows the product will cost more, but realizes Americans are willing to pay more for a product made in the U.S.A.. I don't understand why an American business owner can't beat him to the punch? Will this be a new trend, chinese business owners opening plants here? I'm confused where this will lead us.

Re: Lost Another One!

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    compact fluorescent bulbs will be made?
    I switched our entire house, the garage and part of the shop over to those. I don't care for them so as they die out I am returning to regular light bulbs. I don't mind paying for the electricity to operate them (if I even notice the difference), I prefer their service.

Comment

the future doesn't look bright

been using compact flourencents for years and they're not bad. even have the dimmable ones which i rarely use as the power consumption is peanuts. the newer stuff starts up just as quick and will brighten up guick too.

the newest leds have great potential too. power is next to nothing and last a lifetime

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        Will this be a new trend, chinese business owners opening plants here? I'm confused where this will lead us.
        One of the major bicycle manufacturers in China has discussed doing just that. All of the low-cost commodity bikes sold in box stores come from just a couple of companies with only the stickers and colors different. With something like 50 million of them coming here each year, it makes sense for the Chinese owned company to come to the US to make bicycles for the US market.

One of the Chinese companies owns the rights to the Schwinn name. I hope they don't build bikes here. That would be an insult to have US made Schwinns that are not even closely related to the real US Schwinn company. The public wouldn't know the difference...
        Last edited by smorris; 09-12-2010, 02:36 PM.
        Steve
        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I put in flourescent can lights to comply with California Title 24 requirements. I didn't like paying 6x more for the cans but now that I have them I must admit they are better in several ways... last longer, you can buy the bulbs in several color temperatures, they're cheaper to run and they add much less heat load to the room (important in summer). And, as Rick mentions, they warm up & get bright much quicker than they used to.

But have you seen the disposal requirements for flourescents? The 2007 law is insane IMO. Doesn't seem to me that exposing families including young children to mercury and whatever else is in those things in a residential environment where they are likely to be broken is such a great idea. Plus, it's inevitable that most of them are indeed going to end up being improperly disposed of in landfills.

Interesting also that when the law was passed it was already understood that there were no domestic suppliers, nor was there likely to be. So essentially our government legislated that toxic material be imported... from China. Just Stinking Wonderful.

Between the cost, EPA requirements, and the quickly impoving performance/cost ratio of LEDs, I doubt if we'll actually see anyone investing in US factories for flourescents. Including the Chinese. It would be a waste of money. Flourescents are an interim solution.... eventually, it will all be LEDs.
          Last edited by Andy_M; 09-12-2010, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I agree, the smart investor would open an LED bulb factory. Fluorescent work ok indoors here but from a couple of weeks out until late spring we need incandescent or led to fire reliably here and in most Northern states

Comment

The compact florescent bulbs take time to warm up and they don't put out the light the older bulbs do. I haven't tried the LED lights yet but they do sound interesting.
              Last edited by Abbott; 09-12-2010, 06:42 PM.

Comment

the LED bulbs here are still ranging from 35-55 a piece, I can waste a lot of electricity on those CFLs before I make that up when you consider a whole house of them.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Price is still high but is coming down. I saw a two pack for recessed can lights for $29.

They'll continue to drop until they become economically advantageous, then it will be adios to CFLs.
                  Last edited by Andy_M; 09-12-2010, 08:59 PM.

Comment

"Made in the USA" means just that. (or kind of anyway)***

Do some research and see how many products that are "made in USA" are owned by American companies.

***I worked for Dexter Shoe for a short time. Part of my job was to take golf shoes out of boxes with Asian writing all over them and put them into boxes that said "Made in USA".
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

"Made in America"

Made by Mexicans...

Comment

Working...
                      X