Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ipod Touch

Do you own this? Handy? Timekiller?

I'm considering one for a couple of reasons but don't want something to waste time with rather than getting/receiving info quicker.

Many WiFi places around.

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Ipod Touch

What do you want to use one for? I always considered it more of a toy then a tool. I mainly used mine for watching movies on airplane trips and for controlling my music playback around my house, but they can do a lot more.

Comment

I can't remember everything (sometimes anything) about some of the things we encounter and it might be handy to access a .pdf breakdown of a tankless, backflow, etc. that I've forgotten about or am not familiar with while right there.

Check email, send email, send a pic to a customer. Whatever.

And I recently read in Popular Mechanics about a couple of apps that turn it into an OBDII scanner & even work on more advanced systems.

I know that some phones will do all of this also. I would like to have a separate non-payment device though to do these things.

J.C.

Comment

I know I've posted some of this before, but here is how I do it.

I carry a Blackberry phone, but almost any smart phone will do just fine. I use the Blackberry for quick e-mails, for appointments, and for pictures that don't have to be in a very high resolution.

In the truck I keep a netbook and a battery powered printer, along with a good high resolution digital camera. I can use the wifi on the computer for internet if there is a signal available. If not, I hook the computer to the phone. I also use a iPod with the physical buttons for music in the truck, because a touchscreen device while driving is asking for an accident.

I have been using PDA's and smartphones since 2005. It sucks trying to look at a technical PDF on a very small screen. It's nice thinking that wifi is available everywhere you will need to look something up, but it is not. There will be times you need info right now, and it will not be available to you without a data plan from a phone. E-mail is a lot easier to deal with on a computer, but for a quick and easy e-mail, a smartphone or PDA is fine.

I also know you have thought about moving your invoicing to a computer. The netbook is great for that as well. It is very nice to have all your old invoices at your fingertips.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
          I know I've posted some of this before, but here is how I do it.

I carry a Blackberry phone, but almost any smart phone will do just fine. I use the Blackberry for quick e-mails, for appointments, and for pictures that don't have to be in a very high resolution.

In the truck I keep a netbook and a battery powered printer, along with a good high resolution digital camera. I can use the wifi on the computer for internet if there is a signal available. If not, I hook the computer to the phone. I also use a iPod with the physical buttons for music in the truck, because a touchscreen device while driving is asking for an accident.

I have been using PDA's and smartphones since 2005. It sucks trying to look at a technical PDF on a very small screen. It's nice thinking that wifi is available everywhere you will need to look something up, but it is not. There will be times you need info right now, and it will not be available to you without a data plan from a phone. E-mail is a lot easier to deal with on a computer, but for a quick and easy e-mail, a smartphone or PDA is fine.

I also know you have thought about moving your invoicing to a computer. The netbook is great for that as well. It is very nice to have all your old invoices at your fingertips.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's me asking similar things in the past. (Like I stated, memory. I blame the primer.)

Info appreciated. Please copy your response and save it in a file so you can easily post again in the future.

I'll ask again in a month.

J.C.

Comment

netbook with 250 gig hd will store more than you can ever need. then a back up hd with literally every plumbing company pdf will cover you for everything.

download all your heater manuals and everything else you need and keep them current.

after 10 years using a cannon bjc55 battery printer in the truck, i now email 99% of my invoices and fax or mail the other 1%

at $300 a netbook, you could have unlimited access to your invoices and pdf's, pictures and videos.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Pretty pricey and fancy phone for something that is going to end up either in the toilet or with a cracked screen. They don't design them for rough use.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Handy? Timekiller?
                IMO the IPOD Touch is handy for surfing on wifi, excellent timekiller with apps and EZ to carry (light). The screen is bright but reading articles are not EZ because you have to scroll and enlarge repeatedly to read comfortably. For business a notebook, tablet or laptop probably makes more sense for ease of use, printing and storing data. Prices for the older model ipod touchs should be dropping because the latest model with camera will be released soon. Buy the model with the least memory if you don't plan on storing a lot of data, pics, video. The glass is replaceable (ez) if dropped and it is not water resistant. Ipod Touch is fantastic to store and play all your music at home or in the car. Now you can throw away all your old LPs, 8-track, cassettes
                Last edited by reConx; 09-18-2010, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I have had one for something like 4 years.. whenever they first came out.

At first it was fun playing with the apps. Now all I use it for is the music...

Still its a fun toy though.

Comment

If you ever need to work out tank volumes or dip-sticks or do any trig for gradients, pipe sizes etc, these mobile web apps may come in handy on your iPod.

http://blocklayer.mobi/tank-horizontaleng.aspx

http://visualtrig.mobi

:

Comment

I've used mine to take notes (if you can text type fast enough) at a conference, but primarily I use it for music. I do have 3 or 4 movies loaded on it in case I have a couple of hours to kill.
                      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Besides phone calls, I use my blackberry mostly and indispensably for reminders, and lists. Where before I would ask my helper or whomever, "remind me to call so and so" or "don't let me forget to pick up such and such". Now, I simply set a reminder w/alarm in the phone. When it goes off, if I'm not ready to do the task, I bump the time back 30 minutes or whatever. It's been really helpful.

And, after each job I put the material I need to replace on a list in folder named after whatever supply house I usually buy that item from. When I end up at the supply house several days later I automatically pull out the phone and check my list.

Oh, and I back up my data to my home computer about every other day.

Netbook is next on my list.
                        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Just a few of things some might find handy.

http://gopointtech.com/blog/2009/10/...one-accessory/

http://carbonga.com/

http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...mand/index.php

Good-bad, right-wrong, the days of the $85.00 "Diagnosis Fee" and the multi thousand dollar Sun scanner are going to go extinct in the mechanics world.

People are going to know what's wrong with their auto beforehand. Then decide if they want to tackle it or not.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                          X